All-new Ford designed and built 6.7L diesel for the 2011 SuperDuty

Discussion in '4x4's, SUV's and P/U Trucks' started by xcel, Aug 31, 2009.

1. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

[​IMG] Having to sue Navistar (previous PowerStroke engine builder) for a variety of customer warranty concerns, Ford moves on to build a world class diesel engine of its own design and manufacture.

[fimg=right]http://www.cleanmpg.com/photos/data/501/2009_Ford_SuperDuty_in_the_snow.jpg[/fimg]Wayne Gerdes - CleanMPG - Aug. 31, 2009

Current 2009 PowerStroke equipped Ford SuperDuty in the snow.

As long as the SuperDuty is purchased by an owner with the need...

Ford’s all-new Ford 6.7-liter Power Stroke diesel technology set to power the next generation of SuperDuty.

Debuting in the next-generation F-Series Super Duty truck, the new PowerStroke engine will deliver significant improvements in torque, horsepower and fuel economy while adding more fueling flexibility and easily meeting stringent new emissions requirements. Additionally, the all-new diesel 6.7-liter engine will deliver best-in-class towing and payload.

"This all-new diesel engine has been so extensively tested both in the lab and in the real world that we're confident we're giving our customers the most reliable and productive powertrain available today," said Derrick Kuzak, group vice president of Global Product Development. "Our Super Duty customers demand reliability and durability in their trucks so they can deliver the best results for their business and their customers. That's exactly what this engine delivers."

6.7-liter Power Stroke Benefits
    • Unique inboard exhaust and outboard intake architecture reduces overall exhaust system volume which leads to better throttle response. Reduced exhaust system surface area minimizes heat transfer to the engine compartment and improves NVH (noise, vibration, harshness).
    • Honeywell's single-sequential turbocharger features an industry-first double-sided compressor wheel mounted on a single shaft. The turbocharger design allows the single unit to deliver the benefits of a twin-turbocharger system in a smaller, more efficient package, combining the benefits of a small turbocharger (faster response) and a large turbocharger (ability to compress and force more air into the engine for more power) in one unit.
    • Piezo-electric, high-pressure Bosch fuel system injects fuel at up to 30,000 psi with up to five injection events during compression and exhaust cycle.
    • Aluminum cylinder heads for reduced weight; the mid-deck construction with dual water jackets provides increased strength and optimal cooling; also, six head bolts, instead of four as found on other engines, help improve sealing and maintain cylinder integrity even with the higher firing pressures; overall the engine is about 160 pounds lighter.
    • Compatibility with B20 fuel, a first for an ultra-modern SCR equipped diesel that I know of!
    Rugged block and proven components

The all-new 6.7L diesel engine is made from compacted graphite iron (CGI), which is about twice as strong as regular gray cast iron. While this is the first use of a CGI block in North America in this class of vehicle, Ford has successfully used the material in its European diesel engine blocks for years.

The cylinder heads feature dual water jackets. The tall water jacket works as a manifold, flowing high-velocity water for cooling and adding to the structural robustness in the head to handle the higher firing pressures. Crankshaft durability is improved through Ford's unique undercut and fillet roll treatment to relieve stress.

The valvetrain features patented dual hydraulic lash adjustors, which improves the performance and reliability by using two pushrods per cylinder instead of the conventional single pushrod, with individual rocker arms. Other proven components round out the engine hardware, including fractured-split connecting rods and a fuel system capable of generating 30,000 psi to feed the common-rail direct-injection fuel system.

'Built Ford Tough'

The testing protocol developed for the 6.7-liter Power Stroke incorporates the most rigorous engine tests found in Ford globally to ensure at least 250,000-mile durability.

Components were torture-tested in the laboratory with a regimen designed to exceed what even the harshest user might dish out. Engines literally ran continuously for hundreds of hours. Finally, a battery of in-vehicle, real-world tests validated the work done in the laboratories. The strict testing work also ensured the new engine is B20 compatible.

Combustion system clean and powerful

The combustion system matches other super diesel build efforts in the industry. The reason was to meet the 2010 federal emissions standards to reduce NOx.

Ford's system runs the engine with a minimal amount of oxygen possible in order to reduce NOx without degrading performance and fuel economy. Ford's solution runs the EGR through a two-step process utilizing separate cooling sources. The end result is the EGR is brought into the intake at a lower temperature, which means more of it can be utilized, creating greater efficiency throughout the system.

A unique piston bowl design and the high-pressure fuel-injection equipment are huge enablers in achieving the balance of power and lower emissions. The system can deliver up to five injection events per cylinder per cycle, while eight holes in the injector spray fuel into the bowl.

The new 6.7-liter Power Stroke V-8 turbocharged engine features instant-start glow plugs, allowing quick start even in extremely cold temperatures.

Standard EGR, DOC, SCR and DPF to meet new emissions standards

The 6.7-liter Power Stroke diesel aftertreatment system reduces diesel emissions by more than 80 percent compared with the previous standard. The Ford system is the now standard three-stage process.

Injection of DEF (Diesel Exhaust Fluid) to reduce NOx is a proven technology that's been used throughout the automotive industry. Unlike other solutions used to control NOx, the DEF system allows the diesel engine to run at its optimum range in terms of fuel mixture. Some systems require the engine to run richer – which can be harmful to diesel engines – in order to control the NOx.
    1. The DOC - The first step occurs when the exhaust stream enters the Diesel Oxidation Catalyst (DOC). The role of the DOC is twofold. First, it converts and oxidizes hydrocarbons into water and carbon dioxide. This conversion happens at about 250 degrees Celsius.

Second, the DOC is used to provide and promote heat, using specific engine management strategies, into the exhaust system. Through appropriate thermal management, this heat increases the conversion efficiency of the downstream subsystem(s) in reducing emissions.

2. Reducing NOx - The next step is Selective Catalytic Reduction (SCR) where NOx in the exhaust stream is converted into water and inert nitrogen. Before the exhaust gas enters the SCR chamber, it is dosed with DEF.

When heated, the DEF splits into ammonia and carbon dioxide. The ammonia enters the SCR module, which contains a catalyzed substrate, and through chemical reactions combines and converts the NOx and ammonia into the harmless inert nitrogen and water. Dosing occurs between 200 and 500 degrees Celsius.

3. Soot Reduction - The final part of the cleansing system for the diesel exhaust involves the Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF). The DPF traps any remaining soot, which is then periodically burned away, known as regenerating, when sensors detect the trap is full. The regeneration process sees temperatures in excess of 600 degrees Celsius to burn away soot.
    "Developing the new 6.7-liter Power Stroke V-8 turbocharged diesel engine was an awesome endeavor," Gryglak said. "After all the engineering and testing, we're confident this engine will ensure the new Super Duty continues its leadership in capability, reliability and productivity.

The only question that remains... Will this rigorously tested Ford designed and built 6.7L PowerStroke engine prove to be more durable than the previously rigorously tested but not very reliable designed and built Navistar 6.0L PowerStroke?

Last edited: Sep 26, 2013
  2. npauli

npauli Well-Known Member

It's a shame that there's no EPA testing for big pickups. I'd love to see how FE shakes out when all the emissions requirements drive FE down, but the high tech gizmos help drive it back up. About all we'll have to go on are those reviews from the enthusiast groups with some kinda sorta scientific comparative tests.

3. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Well-Known Member

Wow, it is all about emissions with those diesels. All the high tech stuff is emission driven, not mpg driven.

The exhaust fluid-DEF- is that urea?
    Soot reduction- is that once again spraying fuel in the filter to burn it up? It doesn't specifically say they use fuel- it says "periodically burned away when it senses it is full".

After reading this,I'm amazed that the modern diesel cars still manage to beat good spark motor cars. Sure sounds EXPENSIVE!!

Charlie

4. xcel

Hi Charlie:

___DEF is the same. In Europe it is called AdBlue. Same stuff as well.

___DPF's are regenerated all the same. A fifth post injection (throw the raw diesel away down the exhaust pipe) and let it burn off the soot collected on the particulate filter. The main trigger is DP but I am sure they have figured out other more sophisticated solutions by now???

___The std. EGR/DOC/SCR/DPF emission controls knock off between 5 and 10% (my best guess) but are still far more fuel efficient than a V10 gasoline engine that could not pull over the long haul the same weight for those that really need heavy hauling.

___What I found interesting about Ford's upcoming PowerStroke is the ability to use B20 with those same emissions controls. How did they do that???

___And now a special request for a member that is interested in Ford's diesel tech... I requested some more information on the upcoming 6.7L PowerStroke's FE and the use of B20 from my Ford contacts. Immediately following, I was invited to attend a WebEx Preview of the PowerStroke launch.

___It appears I will be on the road (actually in the air) heading home from Florida next Tuesday afternoon, the 8th of September and would like a member to take my slot to write up a synopsis of what was discussed and released. I would ask that you "not" ask any questions but simply listen in and report on the main presentation and the Q&A that will come afterwards.
    ___If anyone would like to listen in, please let me know ASAP so I can make the RSVP arrangements with Ford so that you can attend/listen in.

___Good Luck

___Wayne

5. npauli

npauli Well-Known Member

Are you kidding? I'd love to.

6. xcel

Hi Npuali:

___If you are free at 02:00 PM (EST) next Tuesday, PM me tonight or tomorrow and I will call you about the details. I will need your name/address etc. Afterwards, I will beg and plead with the Ford Communications team leads to allow you to listen in ;) They have been very good to me the past 12 + months or so and I think they like our (CleanMPG's) unique take on the state of the automobile industry?

___Good Luck

___Wayne

7. seftonm

seftonm Veteran Staff Member

Hi Wayne, I think that the new PowerStroke will not be using post injection for DPF regeneration. Rather, it will have a dedicated fuel injector in the exhaust pipe. That eliminates much of the oil dilution concerns that come with biodiesel and post injection, allowing them to run higher concentrations.

I'm curious why Ford has the NOx reduction take place before the soot reduction. NOx can be used for passive DPF regeneration where no extra fuel is injected. Highway tractors take advantage of that and place the DPF before the SCR system. I believe Audi and BMW do that as well. I'm guessing Ford may do it differently so that heat from the DPF regen doesn't kill the NOx catalyst, but would like to know for sure what their reasoning was.

I'd love to hear what the designers and engineers of the engine have to say about this new engine, but unfortunately will be busy next Tuesday afternoon.

8. xcel

Hi Mike:

___From the layout during the presentation, the DPF comes after the SCR (that one is odd???) and there is no additional fuel line to the DPF so they are using a 5th post injection to light it off after going through the DOC and SCR CAT.

___Nathan and I have some questions in for Ford and should have additional answers later...

___Good Luck

___Wayne

9. seftonm

Would it be possible for you to double check with Ford on that? I believe GM places their downstream injector right near the turbo's exhaust exit, which is still a good distance away from the DPF. Ford could be doing something similar with their system. If I'm wrong, it will be interesting to see how Ford managed to use post injection an approve B20 at the same.

10. xcel

Hi Mike:

___Let me pull a screen shot from the PP presentation and you can decide. This is really odd and Nathan and I have a lot of questions including this one I handed over to Ford today regarding this.

___Come up with some of your own and I will ask the lead when I speak with him on the phone possibly tomorrow?

___I am also on the list for the Press Launch next spring wherever that may be and if I am not doing something else, I will have a lot more details then. If I am doing something else, maybe Nathan or you can go in my place...

___Press Launches are an all-expense paid trip to wherever although there is little time to have fun as it is arrive, light dinner and sleep on Day #1. Day #2 starts out early in the morning with breakfast, a marketing presentation, a technical presentation, drive the various trucks through whatever obstacle courses and driving segments Ford has lined up. Dinner with the leads afterwards and a plane home the following morning.

___I am also on the list for an F-250/350 w/ the all-new 6.7L PowerStroke Press Vehicle with a hitch so I can do some 5,000 pound trailer towing and general FE numbers... They will not be out until next spring however.

___Good Luck

___Wayne

11. xcel

Hi Mike:

___Here it is:

[​IMG]

___Good Luck

___Wayne

12. seftonm

Hi Wayne, definitely no fuel injector there, but maybe it's upstream of the DOC? I'd be happy to hear that B20 is compatible with a post injection setup, but really need to see a definite answer on Ford's system because all other engines approving B20 that I know of use the exhaust stream injector. Here's a few questions I'd be interested in hearing answers to if you get the chance to ask them:

Support for B20 biodiesel is a big step forward from previous engines. How did Ford overcome the oil dilution problem that can occur when biodiesel is used? Do they use a fuel injector in the exhaust stream to aid with particulate filter regenerations, or is it still accomplished with in-cylinder post injection?

What were some of the reasons for going with SCR NOx reduction instead of relying EGR and non-urea based catalysts?

How large is the DEF tank and what is the expected range on a fill of DEF?

13. xcel

Hi Mike:

___I sent a CC inviting you to listen in and ask questions of the Lead engineer next week if you can make it. If not, I will be asking those exact questions :)

___The DEF tank size was described as being large enough to make it through to the next oil change. Given the 6.7L CI-ICE displacement, I suspect it is almost 14 gallons. The BMW 335d with its 3.0L has a heated passive and active tank of 6.1 gallons in capacity or 2 gal/L displacement.

___Good Luck

___Wayne

14. seftonm

Unfortunately, I'll be in class at that time. Otherwise, I'd definitely be there to listen in and ask.

15. xcel

Hi Mike:

___Anne moved it up to 08:00 AM so hopefully you can make it...

___Good Luck

___Wayne

16. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Well-Known Member

Wayne thanks for the info.

Hard to believe that using fuel to light off the particles is state of the art.

Thanks
    Charlie