More details on BMW European 320d - SuperDiesel

Discussion in 'BMW' started by xcel, Aug 25, 2009.

1. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

[​IMG] We should eventually see this vehicle in the states ;)

[fimg=right]http://www.cleanmpg.com/photos/data/501/2010_BMW_320d_Sedan.jpg[/fimg]Wayne Gerdes - CleanMPG - Aug. 25, 2009

2010 European BMW 320d Sedan – 0 to 60 in < 8 seconds and 55 mpgUS combined on the NEDC.

BMW is just month’s away from offering their most fuel efficient performance diesel ever placed into service. That being the greenest 3 Series ever built in the form of a BMW 320d EfficientDynamics Sedan. The latest model to be offered by the marque sets a new benchmark in the premium segment by recording a combined consumption figure of 55 mpgUS on the NEDC.

As the first sub 110g/km CO2 emissions capable premium segment car, the BMW 320d EfficientDynamics Saloon will cost just $50 USD per year in road taxes to meet the UK’s Vehicle Excise Duty.

The new BMW 320d EfficientDynamics Saloon is powered by a 1,995cc engine with class-leading performance. The single turbocharged turbo-diesel engine features an all-aluminum crankcase and third generation common-rail injection technology with piezo injectors to achieve its impressive consumption and emissions figures without diluting driver enjoyment.

The BMW 320d EfficientDynamics Saloon develops 163 HP between 3,500 and 4,200 RPM while offering up an amazing 265 Lb-Ft. of torque 1,750 to 3,000 RPM. This equates to a zero to 60 mph time of < 8.0 seconds and a top speed of 137mph. Acceleration in fifth gear from 50mph to 75mph is also suitably swift taking just 9.6 seconds. The heightened performance of the BMW 320d EfficientDynamics Sedan has been made possible thanks to changes in the engine's construction, a taller rear axle transmission ratio, lowered suspension and the use of specially designed aerodynamic alloy wheels with Michelin EnergySaver tires.

The BMW 320d EfficientDynamics Sedan also includes a dual mass flywheel with springs between the two parts to help smooth out any engine vibration through the drivetrain. This is enhanced with the fitting of new Centrifugal Pendulum Absorbers to lower NVH even further. This feature increases comfort and should result in the driver using a higher gear more often. This innovation combined with the taller geared transmission serves to significantly reduce engine speed compared to a ‘standard’ 320d Sedan which lowers fuel consumption and emissions even further.

The new car still comes fitted with the existing suite of BMW EfficientDynamics technologies, including Auto Start Stop, Brake Energy Regeneration and Electric Power Steering for optimum performance.

The BMW 320d EfficientDynamics Saloon will be unveiled at the Frankfurt Motor Show and go on sale in January, 2010. The specification of the car will be on a par with a BMW 320d SE and includes two-zone A/C, rear Park Distance Control, BMW Professional radio, multi-function leather steering wheel, extended lighting and a specially designed 16-inch Aero alloy wheel. Pricing is likely to mirror the existing ‘standard’ BMW 320d SE Sedan.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 25, 2009
  2. nervousmini

nervousmini Well-Known Member

I was really hoping to find a drooling smiley :D

But I'm still bummed by the fact that I know I'll never see/drive one here in the states.

3. brick

brick Answers to "that guy."

So. What do we think that's actually worth on the highway?

4. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi Tim:

___Remember that little drive we took in the 07 Civic iCDTi ;) Its NEDC Urban/Extra Urban/Combined was 35.6 mpgUS/54.7 mpgUS/46.1 mpgUS respectively and she allowed 85 mpg for the 1,700 + miles.

___The 320d is rated at an NEDC Combined 55.1 mpgUS so I would guess its Urban (city) on the NEDC would come in around 42 and its Extra Urban (Highway) would come in around 65 mpgUS? Even though the older 320d weighs in at 300 more pounds (the new 320d should weigh the same), I would guess the all-new 320d to achieve close to 90 mpg for us yet still offer 0 - 60 in 8 seconds. This is the magic part that I have no idea how BMW did it. Their previous fuel misers in the 116, 118 and 120d's offered slightly less FE and 0 - 60 times in the 10's :confused: This is pure magic I tell you, pure magic :)

___Even if we were talking about P&G'ing the darn thing from one end of the world to the other, you have a tremendous amount of torque at low revs which may even best its lean-burning steady state given the engine performance. The Corolla XRS with the Camry motor we reviewed last year worked magic under that regiment and this BMW might be a surprise of having both exceptional highway cruise via that lean burning diesel and super tall gearing and a P&G monster for when the going around town gets tough. Enough to possibly take out the mighty Ford/Peugeot 1.6L in the Ford ECOnetic’s and the VW Polo’s with the current 1.6 or upcoming 1.2L.

___I can almost smell the FE coming from this 320d and I for one cannot wait to see the few European’s that know how to take advantage of it do so.

___Good Luck

___Wayne

5. JustAnotherAsian

JustAnotherAsian justanotherhypermiler

the only bad thing about this vehicle is the unavailability in the u.s.

sucks that the market is supposedly not ready for a bunch of those luxo-diesels.