I need focus!

Discussion in 'Website news & discussions' started by tbaleno, Oct 12, 2006.

1. tbaleno

tbaleno Well-Known Member

I'm kind of bored right now and I need you guys to tell me things that annoy you about the site or things you want to see. I want to do some more stuff on the site but I want to know what you guys think the priorities should be.

It may be something I promissed to do a while ago, or it may be something new. Let me know.

2. brick

brick Answers to "that guy."

I would really like to see the FE graph that you demonstrated in another thread. It's definitely a "want" as opposed to a "need," but is the only thing the database lacks IMO. (Unless you implemented it and I'm too slow to find it.)

The only thing that I don't like, and maybe is more important, has to do with the GreenLeaf theme. I love the aesthetics, but I tend to stick with the Default style because otherwise it's a bit tougher to see at a glance which forums have new messages. The needle works but it could be improved if there were greater contrast to catch the eye. Maybe a color change or something? Or as simple as a bolder outline?

3. dcoyne78

dcoyne78 Well-Known Member

Something that Wayne asked for over at Greenhybrid was a way to record best segment in the Mileage Database, it may have to be a separate database, also it would be nice to look at MPG for the last 90 days rather than only lifetime. For Prius MPG over the last 3 months, nobody comes close to Carl H over at Greenhybrid (My Precious Prius). Going back to May 16 until Oct 5 (almost 5 months) he has driven 4996 miles used 61.85 gal of gas or an 80.8 MPG avg! Only Insight drivers have done better as far as I know. When you only look at lifetime MPG (his is very good at 60.6 MPG) you miss his incredible performance this summer and fall, also us cold weather drivers from the North take a hit in the winter and can't manage to keep the high MPG year round of those in warmer climates.

Dennis

4. hobbit

hobbit He who posts articles

How about making it so the definition of "new posts" persists
    across sessions, i.e. fixing the problem that if I read a few
    "new" things and then come back in later with a new bbsession
    cookie, the things I didn't read yet don't simply vanish?
    _H*

5. efusco

efusco He who posts articles

I'm annoyed by the text and banner that hog the top of the page such than when I open a thread I can't even see the first post in the thread until I scroll down a full page.

Do we really need 2 banners at the top? Can we move one to the bottom?

6. tbaleno

Sorry, but that would mean hacking into the code itself. The major problem with that is every time we upgrade I would have to rewrite the code.

What I do is just use recent posts. and look down the list for what I haven't read. It is annoying, but it isn't something easily fixable and that would be persistent among upgrades. If I ever get a brainstorm on how to fix this in a simple way that wouldn't be too bad to port across upgrades I will defiantly do it. I think there are a lot of people that don't like this either.

7. tbaleno

I will see if something can be done to clean it up.

8. diamondlarry

diamondlarry Super MPG Man/god :D

I do this too but, since I work with alluminum all day long, I think Alzheimers kicks in and I forget what I have or have not read.:p An easy fix would be welcome.
    Another request might be a link to new posts/today's posts at the bottom of the page in addition to the one at the top. This is a minor thing so only if it can be done easily.

9. highwater

highwater Well-Known Member

Quote:
    And
    For instance: When I go to post on a thread the ad banner is with me again at the top af that page. I don't need to see it on that page, as I have gone there for one purpose only.

Could we possibly see adds only on the home page?, as we all have to go there anyway to login. Once we have seen them there, we could go about reading threads without having to see them on each page.

Not complaining, just responding.

Randall

10. tbaleno

Good idea. I'll check into it. The only reason for ads on pages when viewing threads are for guests that come here using a link from another site.

Another thing I could do is maybe only show ads to guests on the thread viewing pages.

11. tbaleno

Okay. Things I have done. 1) header is only on forum home page for Registered users. 2) I think I found a way to make it so it doesn't automaticaly mark messages read (at least for 10 days or so).

I will probably remove the ads on all pages except the main forum page for Registered users, but I haven't gotten around to that yet.

Let me know if any of these changes have unwanted consequences.

12. diamondlarry

Cool! I was hoping my 'puter hadn't messed up.:p I checked awhile ago and found threads that I was pretty sure I had read showing as un-read. Thank goodnes this didn't happen early in the morning or I would have been confused all day.:confused: You're doing an awesome job Tom! Keep up the great work.

13. hobbit

I don't understand why the new-posts code would even be an
    issue. Every other PHP-based bboard system I use does the right
    thing, marking stuff I've genuinely read as "old" and keeping
    those states across any and all visits. Since almost all these
    bboard systems stem from a common codebase, how did this one
    go so irrevocably wrong, and what are its producers/maintainers
    doing to fix it? If it's at that deep a source level, and is
    perceived as a real problem [your call..] then it should go right
    back into the laps of the people who screwed the pooch in the
    first place.
    _H*

14. tbaleno

Yeah. Well. We will see if it is fixed. I think I had a setting wrong that I never knew existed. This software has literaly hundred of configurable options.

Let me know if it is working for you now

15. hobbit

Ah, I think you've nailed it. When I saw "the threads below have
    not been updated since your last visit but still contain unread
    posts." I thought "hmm, this is promising" ... so I tried exiting
    and coming back in with a new session-ID, and the board now seems
    to be a> remembering what I'd read in the previous session, and
    b> showing me stuff I haven't yet where it used to simply return
    empty search results if I tried the same thing before.
    Thank you!! What was the setting, so we can all learn from it
    and tell other bboard operators where to look?
    _H*

16. tbaleno

under general options. It is item Thread/Forum Read Marking Type. I had it set to inactivity cookie based. I needed to set it to Database (no automatic forum marking).

17. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi Tom:

___Now that you have found that magic switch to make Hobbit happy, you can easily make everyone else happy with a lot less work imho :D

___Keep up the great work on the secret project is all ;)

___Good Luck

___Wayne

18. dcoyne78

dcoyne78 Well-Known Member

Hi Tom,

I assume because you ignored this it is too much work to play with the database or you like it as is, my thinking was you could show both lifetime mpg and mpg over last 90 days or the last 10 tanks (whatever you think is best) and then users could sort data by one or the other, the segment idea is less important though I think it would be interesting for segments of 30 miles or more.

Dennis

Dennis

Last edited: Oct 19, 2006
  19. tbaleno

No one said I ignored it. I just haven't responded to it ;) too different things. I'm constantly jumping between projects and just because you don't see something you want doesn't mean it is being ignored. However, the best way to get me to do stuff is to nag me about it. the more nagging I get about a particular thing the more priority I put on it. Look at how many times hobbit had to complain about the new post problem.

So just keep bring up things if they havent been done. This will make sure they stay on the top of the list.

20. diamondlarry

Tom, please don't consider this a nag:p but, I would like to put my vote in for 90 day and segment options. I hadn't thought of it before, but those sound like they could be useful tools. No hurry. Oh, the read/unread posts work flawlessly now. Thanks.