Tires Cupping: 07 Elantra 44 PSI

Discussion in 'Other Manufacturers' started by Tomjones76, Aug 6, 2009.

1. Tomjones76

Tomjones76 Well-Known Member

Folks,

Just had my Elantra in for her 30K ATF flush. I'd been running her at 44 PSI for probably the last 10K.
    The dealer noted that my tires are cupping and suggested an alignment, which I declined; I can get the alignment done cheaper elsewhere by perfectly competent shops.

Previously, I noted a slight shimmy above 65, and took her in for an alignment.
    When I picked her up, I was told that it aligned nicely, except for one of the measurements*, where it could not be brought within tolerance; the car was 0.2 degrees out of spec on that measurement.
    I drove off, and the high-speed shimmy was no longer there, but showed back up in about 3 days.

I've seen some posts on various boards wherein folks complained that their Elantra had sustained permanent failure due to overloading.

Anyone have any guesses or observations as to what's going on here?
    Could it be the inflation levels?

* I can't remember which one didn't adjust properly, but I believe it was the most obscure of the alignment variables.

2. Ophbalance

Ophbalance Administrator Staff Member

My Elantra has NEVER stayed in alignment... in the 10 years that I owned it. I'm pretty sure I have camber kits in both the front and rear at this point too. I think it's just a flaw with this car. My backs wear fine, but the fronts always wear heavy on the left, or right edges of the tires (cannot recall which side)... no matter what the PSI. However, running at 50 PSI doesn't seem to show any odd cupping issues over about 30k miles on this set of tires. If anything, this is the best this car has ever been on tires since I've owned it in regards to how much tread it scrubs down.

3. Right Lane Cruiser

Right Lane Cruiser Penguin of Notagascar

Interesting. I've never had any wear issues with tires on my '02, regardless of pressure.

4. Ophbalance

Ophbalance Administrator Staff Member

It's my only real complaint about the car. I've just learned to live with it. However, being 30k into these tires, and at least another 30k to go... I'm not too futzed about it. I'm hoping I can replace the car before I have to buy a new set of tires, to be honest ;).

5. SentraSE-R

SentraSE-R Pishtaco

We've had no abnormal tire wear issues on three Elantras - 1994, 2000, and 2006.

6. 99LeCouch

99LeCouch Well-Known Member

07-current Elantras have a weak rear suspension. A member on the Elantra boards got an early 07 and had terrible alignment issues in the rear. Turned out to be a mis-drilled hole in the frame and weak upper control arms that flexed under light loads, and got much worse as the load size increased. It was fixed by replacing the arms with custom adjustable units.

7. JohninTexas

JohninTexas New Member

I've also noticed a shimmy at around 67 or 68 mph and had just written if off as a slightly imbalanced tire. Very concerning to hear that someone else with the same car has the same issue. I have just in the last 2 weeks or so moved my tire pressure up to 41.5 and was running the 32 placard up until about a month ago, so I can't really comment on tire wear with any authority.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2009