Extended IMA Warranty Coverage for 2000-04 Honda Insights

Discussion in 'Honda Hybrids' started by Right Lane Cruiser, Jul 31, 2009.

1. Right Lane Cruiser

Right Lane Cruiser Penguin of Notagascar

One of our members (wilborville) kindly shared with me the appropriate service bulletins for this extended warranty coverage and I have posted them in the Files section at the location below:

Honda Service Bulletins 06-026 and 06-057

What are these and why do you need them? The original hybrid powertrain warranty for these Insights was established with limits of 8yrs or 80,000mi -- whichever occurred first. The extension raises the limits to 10yrs or 150,000mi. Many dealerships will not be familiar with these Service Bulletins and your chances of getting warranty coverage in the case of a failure (IMA light is lit) are greatly improved if you bring printed copies of them to the service manager to make your claim.

Please note that the first Bulletin is referred to by the second. Please read the description in the Files section to see which vehicles are covered, and read the PDFs in the zip file for specifics. Note that these only apply to Insights sold in the US and not under a salvage title.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2009
  2. Kacey Green

Kacey Green Well-Known Member

also VIN tracker will place a note in your vehicle's record, kinda tough to miss when viewing it online, as a printout, breeze right on by whoops

3. iamian

iamian Well-Known Member

There are a few others also related and a bit more detail:

SB 00-070:
    Tells the technicians to replace the whole battery for any battery problem and to not open the unit. If the battery module appears to have been opened , tampered with , or damaged Honda will back charge the dealership up to $3,000.

( This explains why they never want to service / test the battery itself )

SB 06-085:
    For 2002 to 2006 Honda vehicles all warranties may be extended. Honda district service managers have to pre-approve all warranty extensions... This can put their head on the platter for doing so.

( This reads allot like keep good customers happy kind of policy. )

SB 06-026:
    This was the 1st IMA battery extension to 10yr 157,500 Miles that only applied to select states and only on Honda Insight models 2002 - 2004 bought or leased between April 13, 2002 and November 7 , 2006... this was a result from Honda Loosing a Class action Law Suit in those states.

SB 06-027:
    This added to 06-026 above by expanding the warranty to all other 2000 - 2004 Honda Insights to 10 years and 150,000 miles. Still was limited to those select few state where they lost the class action law suit.

SB 06-057:
    This was the one that extended the extended IMA battery warranty to the rest of the 43 U.S. states not already included in 06-026 or 06-027 above. This applies to 2000 - 2004 Insights for up to 10 years and 150,000 miles.

------------

Of course if you have any issues with Honda I recommend you get an actual full copy of all of the above listed Service Bulletins... remember a Service Bulletin is not Law... but it does give you very good ground to stand on if you have to try and fight for it with a Honda Dealership.

4. jimepting

jimepting Well-Known Member

What about the 05-06. Do they get covered by this are are we at 8/80?

5. Right Lane Cruiser

Jim, I've seen mention of those Insights also being covered, but no supporting documentation of it. Perhaps it is an interpretation of SB 06-085 mentioned above by Ian?

6. genrn3

genrn3 New Member

Can you look at my message from today. I really need help.

7. JimS04

JimS04 New Member

My 04 Insight (143,000 mi) has the IMA light and Check Engine light illuminated, and the battery charge level is not changing as I drive the car. An independent mechanic said he's seeing just code 1447, indicating the IMA battery module needs to be replaced.
    I'm in PA and SB 06-057 indicates that I should be able to get the battery replaced at no charge by Honda. But I've also read on some blogs that some 04 VIN's are inelegible (the SB doesn't specifically say that, but it does say "To verify warranty elegibility, you must do a VIN status inquiry.") Can I do that myself? Or must the Honda service tech do that? Is there a list of inelegible 04 VIN's out there that I can check to see if mine isn't covered before I talk to my local Honda service manager?
    Thanks

8. msirach

msirach Well-Known Member

Your 04 is eligible. 057 extended it to all states NOT covered by the original 026.

9. Bert-Bert Insight

Bert-Bert Insight New Member

What kind of paperwork and details do you have to get in order to make the case that an IMA battery is under warranty??
    My IMA light became lit a couple of days ago, in the second week of 2012. I have a 2002 Honda Insight.
    How can I tell if I am covered, when the 10 years warranty is ended, and how to make the case for replacement ??

10. Right Lane Cruiser

You need to know your "in service" date -- the Honda dealership will be able to look it up. That's the original sale date of the vehicle.

If the IMA light is on, bring it to the dealership and have them do a diagnostic on the system. They will likely find that there is a battery fault of some sort and will tell you it needs to be replaced if this is the case. As long as you are under the 150K miles limit and within 10yrs of the in service date you'll be covered... but you may need to direct the service staff to read the most current TSBs. When I had mine replaced they started out immediately telling me what everything was going to cost to get the battery replaced; I interjected at the first pause and asked them to look up the TSBs found here in the files and that got the ball rolling favorably. The read the bulletins, phoned Honda USA (in CA if I recall correctly), and had approval for warranty coverage 30min later.

Good luck and keep us posted!!

11. red_rover

red_rover New Member

Hi, there! I have a 2002 Insight. This weekend the IMA and "check engine" light came on. The dealership is telling me that I need to have the IMA battery and 1 battery control module replaced, for a total of $3,500.

Less than 3 years and 25k miles ago, the IMA and 1 control module were replaced.

The dealer is telling me that the battery isn't under warranty, that it only received the remaining warranty of the original part.

This is the third time in 10 years that the battery has failed.

Any advice for how I should proceed? Thanks so much for your help.

12. Right Lane Cruiser

I'm sorry to hear of your issues, Red Rover. :( We are in the waning years of 2012 but if your in service date was late in the year (see the post above yours) and your total mileage is less than 150K you should be covered. If not, your options are limited.

As has been discussed elsewhere on this site, all replacement battery packs are at this point using very old cells. This means that they will fail more quickly than the original pack did. One alternative is to get a remanufactured pack from the site below which uses brand new, better than OEM cells. You'll get a better pack which will last a lot longer than the one you can get from Honda:

http://www.bumblebeebatteries.com/

Please let us know how you get on!

13. red_rover

red_rover New Member

Thanks, Sean. The service date was in June.

Anybody interested in buying my 2002 Insight? (I'm totally serious.)

14. herm

herm Well-Known Member

Red, what part of the country are you in?.. that may motivate someone nearby.

15. red_rover

red_rover New Member

I'm in Oklahoma City. I'm the second owner and I've had it for about 2 years. The previous owner, a friend, kept great records for the car.

Let me know if you have any questions. It's currently at the dealer and I'm waiting to hear about trade-in value. But I would entertain offers from you guys.

Thanks!

16. msirach

msirach Well-Known Member

I bought a battery from a salvage yard for $450. I think it was less than 2 years old .

17. lxmike

lxmike Well-Known Member

Sorry To hear about your IMA troubles. Have you posted on insight central at all?? If You was closer i Would be interested.

As for what they offer you: look on craigslist and auto trader and see what they will sell it for once they get it.