Car Modifications for Better MPG?

Discussion in 'Fuel Economy' started by bear15, Oct 7, 2006.

1. bear15

bear15 Well-Known Member

Has anyone completed any car modificaton such as type of tires, K&N air filters, radiator covers, etc. and receive better MPG?

2. tbaleno

tbaleno Well-Known Member

Many have done just that. I don't think you mentioned WAI (warm air intake) which a lot of people live by when winter comes. Some have even gone so far as to make aerodynamic modifications. This site mostly deals with techniques (though we will occasionaly talk about mods). If you want to see some guys that do a lot of mods then check out http://www.gassavers.org as well as this site. Between the two sites you will get both halves of the FE coin.

3. kickflipjr

kickflipjr Member

4. bear15

bear15 Well-Known Member

Tbaleno ~ Thanks for the information. My son (12 years old) and I are viewing this a project car with a goal to someday reach 100 + mpg.

We have 51 psi in the rear tires and 49 psi in the front tires. We just replaced the factory oil with Mobil 1 0w-20 (3 qts. only instead of the 3.4 listed in manual) and replaced the air filter with a K&N.

We have solar panels we would like to fully charge the battery when it is parked. Do you know how this can be done?

We were also considering covering the raditor now that we have cooler temps but do not have any data that would support a MPG improvement. What do you think?

5. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi Bear15:

___100 mpg goal is a lofty one but mods will not get you there. Techniques will however! You may recognize the dash as it should be awfully familiar to you already … This was achieved here in IL. a day or two before HF2006 this summer if that helps ;)

[​IMG]

___Good Luck

___Wayne

6. bear15

bear15 Well-Known Member

Hi Kickflipjr ~ I am very new at this. Please excuse my inexperience. I am not sure what "LRR" tires are or what "Hot Air Intake" is.

7. xcel

Hi Bear15:

___You have hidden mode toggled. You can change this in your CP where you uploaded your Avatar and sig.

___LRR is Low Rolling Resistance tires. You already have those. A WAI will not help the non-lean burn capable HCH-II much as it was mainly used to achieve lean-burn and AS in the Insight/HCH-I when temps dropped below 40 degrees F. Your HCH-II was allowed a much wider range of temps where the hybrid HW works. It will not hurt but it will not help nearly as much as it does with the Lean-burn capable ICE’s. Purchase the block heater and raise those pressures even higher is about all you are going to see in terms of HW. Read about the techniques as that is where the real numbers come from.

___Good Luck

___Wayne

8. tbaleno

Well, on a good day you could get 100mpg ;) But you would need ideal conditions. If you ever want to get 100+mpg then you are well served to keep coming back to this site often. Some of the best drivers in the world are here.

For instance, just last week a few guys took an insight to a 2254.4 mile tank with the tank mpg being about 160 mpg. Thats pretty much an unmoded vehicle. I think the cost of the total mods on it was <$100.00.

Technique give you more bang for your buck than mods. Since technique is free. However, mods are good so you don't have to work as hard. There is a guy with a saturn here that can get 70mpg segments.

A radiator block will help improve FE.

A link for a battery charger using solar power. It is for a riding mower, but the battery isn't that much bigger (at least in my 03 civic hybrid. Not 100% sure of the 06)
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...09&category=41980&rd=1&ssPageName=mem_guide:1

9. tbaleno

The master spoke as I was typing. The best thing to do is take advice from people that can post good numbers. Xcel is one of the best. Most of us have signatures telling what kind of mpg we get. It should be helpful in determining who knows what.

10. bear15

bear15 Well-Known Member

Wayne ~ Thanks for the information. We have much to learn. Ed & Drew

11. dcoyne78

dcoyne78 Well-Known Member

Hi Ed and Drew,

Achieving 100 MPG may be difficult for a whole tank of gas. You can certainly do it over slow speed segments using a technique called pulse and glide(p&g). I have managed a few segments of 50 miles at just over 100 mpg with a Prius II travelling between 25 and 40 mph using p&g. Maybe Wayne can comment on the technique used last summer for that 103 mpg segment over 19 miles. My car has no mods, but I do use Mobil 1 0-20 and inflate the tires to 55 psi, also my original tires had about 25-30000 miles on them and I think the thin tires help FE.

Dennis

12. highwater

highwater Well-Known Member

Atta boy!!!!!

Randall

13. xcel

Hi Ed and Drew:

___As Randall just posted an encouraging word, I will do the same. Keep your younger one interested as he is truly the generation who will save the world unlike what our generation is doing :(

___I have had Scotty out in the Ranger (he was only 13 at the time but you may as well teach the younger generation how to drive a stick on deserted roads early on) and within his first ½ mile, he performed his first FAS. I hope your 12 year old is as eager and ready to learn as well. Having to hide the car keys afterwards might become a problem however ;)

___DCoyne, yes, a low to MS P&G was how the HCH-II nailed down its 100 mpg segment.

___A next gen hybrid could reach 100 mpg sustained on the FTP75 or HWFET but I am not sure Honda/Toyota will go that far just yet? See earlier posts on Honda’s iCDTi CAT tech. Mate one of those to an always live lean burn .6 - .8L SI-ICE w/ a large Li-Ion and 2 MGSet capability (true pure EV like Toyota/Ford) in an under 1-ton, small yet aerodynamic sedan and you have the makings for 100 + sustained without all the tricks and possibly even real world highway speeds! Throw in a 1.0 - 1.2 L iCDTi with the same next gen hybrid drivetrain and I bet it would be a slam dunk! Think along the lines of the Daihatsu UFE-I, II and III.

UFE-I
    [​IMG]

UFE-II Front
    [​IMG]

UFE-II Side
    [​IMG]

UFE-III
    [​IMG]

The UFE-III is a third-generation, 660-cc super streamliner concept that follows the UFE (from the 2001 Tokyo Motor Show) and the UFE-II (from the 2003 show). The 2005 UFE-III (for Ultra Fuel Economy) is now a three-seat car with a centrally located driving position and a big, lift-up canopy door. Its coefficient of drag has improved from an already impressive 0.19 to an incredible 0.17. The UFE-III, which is only 134 inches long, has a 660-cc, three-cylinder hybrid powertrain that is basically a carryover from the 2003 concept. Fuel economy is now up to 72 kilometers per liter--or an incredible 203 mpg--compared with 60 km/l (169 mpg) two years ago.

___Good Luck

___Wayne

14. dcoyne78

dcoyne78 Well-Known Member

Wow I can't imagine what Wayne would do in an UFE III, 400 mpg anyone? :)

Dennis

15. msirach

msirach Well-Known Member

(3 qts. only instead of the 3.4 listed in manual)

O.K. I thought I had read all of the tricks, but less oil is a new one. What is the advantage of .4 of a qt. less oil than manufacturers specifications???? I know the disadvantages!:eek:

16. xcel

Hi Msirach:

___A little higher temp in the crankcase with a little less viscosity to have to work through. There are no disadvantages unless you were to have a leak … and if you were to have a leak, you would probably drain out that extra 4 - 8 oz. as well? Since the ICE was driven at such a low load all the time, I did not have to worry. In the heat of a Phoenix summer with a hot rodder behind the wheel, maybe a 2.5 quart fill would be ill-advised … I used 2.5 quarts w/ a new filter in the Insight and it brought her half way between the marks on each and every fill.

___DCoyne, you and Carl would be the one to punch out 400 mpg tank’s with this little beauty. I would be stuck in the 300 - 350 mpg range ;)

___Good Luck

___Wayne

17. diamondlarry

diamondlarry Super MPG Man/god :D

I'm seeing Wayne at closer to 500 mpg.:p

18. bear15

bear15 Well-Known Member

Wow!! These cars are look great! We certainly need to consider some of these new concepts.

19. johnf514

johnf514 Zoom? Try Glide!

If you guys keep this up, his ego is going to be too big and heavy to get above 300 MPG. :rolleyes: ;)

20. sno779

sno779 Well-Known Member

At the Insight marathon we got 2.5 times the EPA of 65.5 MPG using P&G. If the UFE-III starts out at 203 MPG and the extreme hypermilers get ahold of it and P&G it at a UFE-III marathon, you could expect around 500 MPG. I don't know how much gas the UFE-III holds but if it holds 14 gallons like the Insight does it would go 7000 miles. Lets see 7000devided by 18 MPH = 16 full days + weather days = about a month. What do you say, team, want to give it a go? Louis