Is 60.3 MPG in a '04 Prius good enough to hang here?

Discussion in 'Start Your Journey Here' started by Ray Moore, Mar 11, 2006.

1. Ray Moore

Ray Moore New Member

Hi Ya'll from Dripping Springs Tx. My last tank was 703 miles at 60.3 MPG. That makes the 8th or 9th tank over 700 miles in my 2004 Prius. LMPG is 56.x MPG. I have 46,000 miles on the car so far. My best ever was 818 miles at 65.1 MPG.

I feel so inadequate next to some of the guys around this site. I look worward to some in depth discussions about techniques for better mileage.

I'm hoping to get a can-view soon to help in my own efforts. I'm sure CR would point out that my savings would never justify the cost of the can-view. Oh well.

2. tigerhonaker

tigerhonaker Platinum Contributor

Ray Moore;

Sounds like to me that you do have the FE thing pretty much down pat.

Welcome to www.CleanMPG.com and I think from what your 1st Post has been you are going to be a definite plus to this Forum. ;)

Terry

3. tbaleno

tbaleno Well-Known Member

The point of this site is to help everyone do better in the FE department. There are some masters here and some like me that are average and I think there are a few that are just starting out. So anyone is welcome and it sounds like you will be right in the middle. You can probably increase your FE and on the other hand you can teach others how to get to your level.

4. psyshack

psyshack He who posts articles

Welcome!!!

Learn and teach away!!

5. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi Ray:

___I remember you and that excellent running lmpg. In fact, I still have you in a special list that will be going up over here in a matter of weeks as well ;)

___You have nothing to worry about! As it stands, a 55 + lmpg in a Prius II is in the top tier of the hybrid drivers so there is quite a bit you can hang your hat on. We will push until your sick of hearing about it of course but I hope to hear the hybrid owners like yourself teach the non-hybrid folk the how’s and why’s of pushing tanks. Believe me; you qualify as a master in that regard.

___I have the feeling that many more non-hybrid drivers will be picking up hybrid’s as their next automobile after finding out what the Prius II’s, HCH-I’s and II’s, and FEH’s are actually capable of with a few of the more advanced techniques applied when and where applicable. I look forward to your contribution toward that goal in the future as well.

___Good Luck and welcome to CleanMPG.

___Wayne

6. philmcneal

philmcneal Has it been 10 years? Wow

you'll look back and realize 60.3 is a joke.

7. krousdb

krousdb Defiant NX-74205

Hi Ray! Great to see you here!:D

I remember that 818 mile tank from Priuschat.:D I also remember your encouragement on the marathon effort. Too bad you weren't there. Your qualification run would have probably knocked me off the team.;)

Tom has issued a challenge to all of us... to increase our FE by 10%. Join us in our new endeavor.!:cool:

8. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi Ray:

___Tom’s 10% number is a tough number to top but I will be making an effort! The warmer temperatures that will arrive in the Midwest over the next month or two should make that 10% a bit easier to reach over the winter averages but every little bump sets the high bar that much higher ;)

___I keep thinking I am doing everything in my power and something small appears to push a short segment just a teeny little bit higher and those little something’s keep adding up to a mile or two better lengthy segments and those mile or two’s keep adding up to better tanks which adds up to an even higher lmpg … If you ever read about me taking back roads all the way home to improve my FE over a 90 + mile commute, its time to pull the plug, OK :D

___And we all look forward to your Prius II Hypermiling discussions indeed!

___Good Luck

___Wayne

9. Ray Moore

Ray Moore New Member

10% above my 65.1? Does this mean you have to get 121 MPG now to top the marathon? Mine would ve 71.5 MPG. I might pull it off for a few days but for a whole tank will be an odd reality. Somewhere in there it's going to rain or I'm going to be late and have to haul butt somewhere and just toast it. That's what seems to happen every time.

Thanks for the warm welcome ya'll. I'm going to disappear for a week or so. We're headed down to Oaxaca for a needed vacation, but I will look forward to dropping back in after that.

By the way, I checked the mileage for this week last year and it was 60.2. That's pretty darn consistent.

Talk atcha later.

Ray