McDonald's to Deploy EV Charging Stations

Discussion in 'BEV or Battery Electric Vehicle' started by Aether glider, Jul 6, 2009.

1. [​IMG] First "Green" McDonald's Restaurant in US to Include Networked EV Charging Stations

[FIMG=RIGHT]http://www.cleanmpg.com/photos/data/501/McDonalds.jpg[/FIMG]Aether Glider - CleanMPG - July 5th 2009

Not sure if NC is the best place but still a great step for EV's and Mcdonalds --Ed.

McDonald's Corporation, the leading global foodservice retailer, and NovaCharge, a leader in the deployment of EV charging infrastructure, today announced the deployment of electric vehicle charging stations. McDonald's will open the first "green" restaurant, built with eco-friendly materials and technologies, including ChargePointâ„¢ Networked Charging Stations for electric vehicles from Coulomb Technologies, making it the first of its kind in the United States.

Ric Richards, president of Richard's Advantage, Inc. and owner/operator of the new McDonald's, set a strategy in 2007 to build a state of the art restaurant dedicated to sustainability and reduced energy consumption. By partnering with NovaCharge, the new McDonald's will deliver yet another new facet of energy conservation by enabling EV drivers to have a place to recharge their vehicles, while enjoying their meal. NovaCharge, the exclusive distributor in the southeastern U.S. for the ChargePoint Network Charging Stations from Coulomb Technologies provided all aspects of sales and support for this installation.

"The networked grid-friendly charging stations are a perfect complement to the many innovative green features of the restaurant," said Ric Richards, "Our customers will have a dedicated place to park and recharge their vehicles. McDonalds is enabling a better environment for future generations by supporting zero-emissions transportation infrastructure, through the use of the ChargePointSM Network."

The use of green building technologies and electric vehicles are two key facets of America's efforts to transform the nation's economy and address environmental concerns. For EV's to become mainstream, they must be as easy to use and to fuel as their gasoline counterparts. To make this a reality, electric vehicle charging stations must be conveniently available where people work and play. The new "green" McDonald's, located at 1299 Kildaire Farm Road in Cary, NC, will open on July 14th at noon. The restaurant has installed EV charging stations for plug-in electric vehicles, which are enabled by the unique capabilities of the ChargePoint Network.

The ChargePoint Network enabled charging stations provide:

* A secure, safe, reliable way for consumers to charge their electric vehicles anywhere they work and play.
    * The ability for EV drivers to find, and navigate to, available open stations.
    * Secure, authorized access charging, while eliminating energy theft and cord theft.
    * An infrastructure that enables rapid growth of the market for plug-in electric vehicles of all types.
    * Administrative monitoring and control services to allow utilities to optimize grid use.

2. Chuck

Chuck just the messenger

Anyone want to stop for a Happy Charge? :D

3. Not sure if the customers that McDonalds usually attracts either have an EV or even want an EV. However I like the idea of plugging my EBH in while getting a cup of coffee during the winter. :)

4. ksstathead

ksstathead Moderator

Extra Value Charge, please. Biggie Size.

5. PaleMelanesian

PaleMelanesian Beat the System Staff Member

I'm sorry, but that sounds a little dirty. ;) :eek: :eek:

6. Chuck

Chuck just the messenger

I haven't not heard the song that had that by Katy Perry, Lady Gaga, or whoever.

7. nissynis

nissynis NC Attorney

To respond to the "NC isn't the right place" notion:

This has great potential. This area is home to the Research Triangle Park, with a large number of tech jobs and the like. A lot of folks with those jobs live in Cary. There is a large green/ecoconscious population in Cary as a result.

8. 300TTto545

300TTto545 Well-Known Member

nissynis - I had the same thought.

There are far more than 3% hybrids around here.

The ironic thing is that they tore down a perfectly good mcdonalds to build the "green" one. I personally frequent it sometimes and I'd be happy to plug in there - if I had a plug....

There is far more to this McDs than outlets to plug in. There are solar panels and a few other things.

9. bomber991

bomber991 Well-Known Member

You know, in the next few years when plug-ins start coming out, places with charging stations will be the business of choice for people with plug-ins.

McD's gets a lot of flak, but hey, they've got free wifi at all their restaurants now don't they? Also don't they have those RedBox dvd kiosks too?

10. owlmaster08

owlmaster08 Well-Known Member

I was curious about the cost and found this at their website:

The above only applies for "commercial" stations. It said many initial stations would be "free" stations (free to the customer, but not the business hosting the station I assume).

Seems messed up to me to charge on "sessions" rather than KW-Hours or something along those lines. Looks like they chose to do it this way for simplicity. I don't like it though because not all batteries are created equal, and even then, if I just want to "top off" my battery before a longer trip I would hate to waste a "session." I would rather have a pre-paid "charge card" (pardon the word play!) that I have to swipe before charging can commence! Or instead of a pre-paid card they could just bill you each month (you have to register with them anyways.) I'm sure they thought through all this though so I will try not to criticize it too much, haha.

11. paratwa

paratwa Well-Known Member

I wish Honda had some sort of plug in capability. Heck even if there was just an isolated 12V to run accessories so the traction pack wouldn't have to be used.

12. PaleMelanesian

PaleMelanesian Beat the System Staff Member

:eyebrow: MrMPG, who are you and why are you here?

13. Chuck

Chuck just the messenger

A week ago I asked you to introduce yourself and ride.

It's not amusing you persist in zero-content messages.

Give a friendly intro if you intend to remain at CleanMPG.

14. ksstathead

ksstathead Moderator

Except... my understanding is that assist hybrids don't really lend themselves to plug-in as much as full hybrids which can run on electric only without turning the ICE. Even for robust systems like the Honda IMAs.

15. paratwa

My understanding is the same as yours. I didn't really make it clear. I don't expect the "plug in" portion to run the Assist Motor, but rather run all the 12v accessories in the car that are currently powered off a 12v inverter of the 144v traction battery. My statement was more of a desire to leave the traction battery for ONLY assisting as opposed to assisting and running 12v stuff (via inverter). Think of it as an Ultra-Mild-plug-in. :)

It would require some digging into the Civic electronics to disable the inverter and addition of another 12v battery (or larger, deeper cycle, SLI battery)

16. Taliesin

Taliesin Well-Known Member

The greatest results from the IMA systems come from not using the electric assist at all, because the recharge sucks fuel.

Adding a plug-in capability to the IMA system would allow some use of the assist, if you keep it down to the point where it doesn't recharge before you plug it in.

It wouldn't really help the FE of the better members here, but it would help everyone in the "normal driver" to "skilled hypermiler" categories.

And the highly skilled members here could probably find a way to make use of it too. Such as during a couple of pulses or a dwl up a hill?

17. rdprice64

rdprice64 Still Learning

This sounds like the work of James Poch. He runs the site http://www.plugincarolina.org/ and seems to be very active and fairly successful at moving forward with EV technology in that area.

18. paratwa

Can't remember where I read it, but one theory had it that if you had a large enough, externally chargable battery, you could run Assist even when it wasn't traditionally necessary using electricity instead of fuel on gentle acceleration or even maintaining speed. The discussion was related to the Insight I, but I don't know if any implementation came out of it.