The Sultan of Slow

Discussion in 'My Ride' started by MT bucket, Jul 6, 2009.

1. MT bucket

MT bucket I want my MPG!

Here it is, my 1991 Mitubishi Mirage, or you can call it the plymouth colt, or the dodge colt, or the eagle summit, all the same car really. it is the slowest car in Minnesota! (edit...second slowest actually, Sean called me on that, and proved it quite well with a little cruise in his insight hybrid :D) and it is just barely a car too! feels more like a go kart with a shell. it also makes lots of scary noises too! but it sure can get great mileage... as long as i don't go over 50 mph and pulse and glide a lot... ;)

3 month challenge
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

MPG accomplishments so far...

just about 50 mpg average since i first started logging mileage a year ago. should be over 50 after this next tank.

winner of the fall 08 cleanMPG fe run B division 1708.7 miles on 29.21 gallons for 58.5 mpg and 194.99 % epa.

Best tank 605.4 miles on 9.46 gallons for 63.99 mpg (probably a short fill, more like 60 probably. i am now careful to top off good to avoid that problem)

MPG Goals...

Keep it running without spending too much money :eek:

Get my MPGuino installed

finishing above 200% epa in the cleanMPG summer fe challenge and avoiding another last place showing in the A division

getting 60+ mpg tanks

here are the pics!:rolleyes:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

my sunpro tach and gauges

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

the evil electric motorized seatbelt! because us silly americans are too lazy to reach up and pull it down ourselves I guess!:rolleyes: thanks Mitsubishi!:rolleyes:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 23, 2009
  2. Blackbelt

Blackbelt Well-Known Member

Actually i think those silly seatbelts were a government mandated item IIRC
    I had a 1990 Summit. I loved that little thing! Only bad thing was it was an automatic, but it still got almost 40mpg. It was black with gray interior and looked great. It was my wifes DD for years, and was very reliable. Great car!!

3. standard7452

standard7452 Active Member

I also had an 89....I got like 40 all the time

4. Right Lane Cruiser

Right Lane Cruiser Penguin of Notagascar

Hey, Michael -- good pics!

I have to dispute the "slowest car in MN" though... ;)

5. visionseeming

visionseeming Well-Known Member

Sean, what's the max speed on your current tank in Blue Swayed?:confused::p

6. Right Lane Cruiser

Right Lane Cruiser Penguin of Notagascar

7. MT bucket

MT bucket I want my MPG!

mmmmmmmm:eyebrow: mabye....I would say you have the most efficient car.
    i am pretty slow though hehe, that little jaunt to walmart doesnt count, i was in a hurry hoping to be able to get that ifcd in before dark!:p:p:p

8. abcdpeterson

abcdpeterson Well-Known Member

Hey Michael

You picked up a MPGuino? ! Cool.

if your OK splicing into a wire or 2 (4 wires) install is actually not to bad, hardest part is figuring how you want to Mount it.
    for wireing the hardest thing to find the speed sensor wire, your service manual should list that.

let me know if there is anything I can do to help.

9. MT bucket

MT bucket I want my MPG!

Hi Allen

I was at Seans and he found out what wire it was, but we couldnt find the ECU because I forgot my service manual :rolleyes: and we didnt know where to look.
    when i got home i took a look and found where it was, then looked and found the wire right away, it is the white and yellow.
    the mpguino is at seans still so we will give it a try, but if we get stumped, i will have you look at it! thanks :flag:

here it is.....

[​IMG]

10. MT bucket

MT bucket I want my MPG!

hmmmm another case for less government in business? :D :p thanks Blackbelt!:flag:

11. abcdpeterson

Sounds like your set for wiring.

Here is how I spliced in my wires, found these at radio shack.
    I liked the fact i then did not have to cut any wires.
    [​IMG]

your going to really like the MPGuino.
    since it doesn't need to query the ECU it is Very quick.

But then.... since it doesn't query the ECU it also can't report things like Temp, Load, Volts. after getting my MPGuino setup i thought I would let my Wife try the Scangauge, but I just don't want to give up the Temp and Load dispaly...

Note on the setup of the MPGuino. you need to do a calibration tank just like Scangauge. once setup it will hold the settings even if power is cut.

Important! It looses all trip data (tank and current) when power is cut, so do NOT allow power to be cut until you have it calibrated OR you loose your tank data for calibration and need to start the calibration process over.

12. MT bucket

MT bucket I want my MPG!

Cool! I mainly just want it for mpg purposes, my sunpro gauges monitor volts, temp, etc great. what do you mean by cutting power? like disconnecting the battery?

13. abcdpeterson

Yep, if it looses power it looses trip data.
    so make sure you hook it to a power line that is always Hot, and not a power line that is only hot when the car is on.

the MPGuino needs power ALL the time to keep it's trip data.

14. MT bucket

MT bucket I want my MPG!

Uh oh I disconnect the battery whenI am not using car for a few days, cuz it has a short somewhere that will completely discharge the battery in a couple of weeks if i am not driving it!:rolleyes:

15. MT bucket

MT bucket I want my MPG!

I hope i get the right power line hooked up, because I try to keep the car off as much as possible. I suppose there is tests for that ;)

16. abcdpeterson

I used the power for the dome light, they have power even if the car is off.
    test... hmmm.... I used a volt meter.....

If you use somthing that you can tell is on (like the dome light) when the car is off, unplug the wire, if the light or what ever goes out you found it.

and once hooked up you will know. the display stays on even when the car is off.
    the back light turns off after a few seconds, but you can still read the display

Last edited: Jul 11, 2009
  17. nervousmini

nervousmini Well-Known Member

To find you draw follow these steps....

1. unplug dome light, to eliminate draw while working through diagnosis.
    2. connect a voltmeter ( an amp meter is better if you have one ) to the battery.
    3. pull the fuses one at a time - watch the meter if the volts go up (of amps go down) you have found the circut that has the draw.
    4. check all components on that circut for correct operation - some items will always draw power ecm, clock, radio ect. Try to determine what is drawing an excessive amount.

Note: for a battery to lose its charge after a few weeks of not being used probably isnt to unusual. You may want to consider getting a battery disconnect switch that would allow you to cut power to the car, but still give you a point to maintain constant power for your mpguino.

Hope this helps.

18. MT bucket

MT bucket I want my MPG!

it is most likely the electric seatbelts, a battery disconnect switch sounds like a good solution. tell me more.
    what do they look like, where do I get one.
    thanks scott :)

19. Xringer

Xringer Older Member

I used to have one of those great 1991 Mitsubishi engines in my old DSM-Plymouth Laser RS (M5 tranny).
    It was a real nice ride. Sold it to a buddy back in 2000 and it's still on the road today.
    [​IMG]

The aerodynamics were pretty good until you flipped on the headlamps. :)
    I used to have a lead-foot on my 90 mile commute and it still got well over 30 mpg.
    If I had put some real pressure in those tires, it would have been better!

I think it's got about 200,000 miles on it now. Might be time for another T-belt.. :eek:

Anyways, it was a 12V current hog. Always drawing too much current. My buddy put his Amp meter (VOM)
    in series with the ground and saw about one amp of phantom load.
    He started pulling out fuses, one at a time until most of the load disappeared.
    He ended up leaving one fuse out, since it didn't effect driving function..

Last edited: Jul 11, 2009
  20. abcdpeterson

intersting, What fuse did he leave out?