2010 Ford Transit Connect – Preview Blog...

Discussion in '4x4's, SUV's and P/U Trucks' started by xcel, Jun 25, 2009.

1. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi All:

___Althoguht the Ford Transit Connect is not a 4x4, SUV or P/U, it is a fully capable work van that can satisfy th eneds of probably 95% of the other vehicles mission at a lower cost and while saving a ton of fuel.

___I spent some time with the Ford Transit Connect today in downtown Chicago... Best work van available in the US imho given its large van like size and midsize car like footprint and FE. I have scant few new details on what we are all waiting for in the Smith BEV conversion but did plead with Ford to be one of the drivers of that van when it finally arrives next year ;) It is currently being prototyped in England as we speak.

___The std. Transit Connects are being shipped as we speak and should reach dealership showrooms by mid July to early August.

___The Transit Connect can turn far tighter than any other van I have ever driven!

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Starting out...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Ford’s Transit Connect on the course adding perspective. I only saw one cone knocked down by one driver of four (it wasn’t me ;))
    and this was a very tight course!​

___Good Luck

___Wayne

2. xcel

Hi All:

___And some of the results... with explanation.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Best at 22.7 and the worst at 11.6 mpgUS :(

___This was stop light and stop sign to stop light and stop sign with A/C in the worst downtown Chicago had to offer. The first segment included about a mile on I-90/94 which was also a jammed in stop and crawl. The second was similar too but not quite as bad as the NY City launch during the NY to San Francisco - Great Race reenactment two February’s ago when the HCH-I and -II pulled a whopping low to mid-20’s until we got the heck out of dodge ;)

___Basic and Intermediate techniques employed (includes two FAS’ at lights for the first and 4 FAS’ at lights for the second. In that kind of traffic and impediment condition however, it was survival and a clear indication that inner city delivery vans need to go all-electric immediately.

___Good Luck

___Wayne

3. xcel

Hi All:

___Catering Setup...

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Catering and Delivery Exterior/Interior setup​

___Good Luck

___Wayne

4. xcel

Hi All:

___The coolest contractor technology I have seen in some time. DeWalt’s ToolLink.

[​IMG]
    Tool Box within the van, Tool Box found. Tool Box outside the Van, Tool Box not found.​

___RFID tags go for about $1.00 a piece and you have options to setup various lists including for example, a camping list, work list, painting list etc. All have their own specific items that you can easily add with the included Bluetooth Keyboard or directly via the touch screen keyboard.

___Not only did it work but it worked seamlessly other than building your tool lists to begin with.

___Additionally, the $1,395 Garmin NAVI based head unit includes Tool Link as shown above, WorkChief (Add $550 plus $20 per month) for knowing where each one of your vehicles are located (also includes items like time idling, speed, FE, if your employees are using their seat belts plus a ton of other items...), Online capability including a browser, E-Mail, Spreadsheets and docs, plus remote desktop capability and includes the ability to print out invoices in the field with a $300 Bluetooth HP Printer. Really cool stuff for far less than a regular NAVI with only one-fourth the features and benefits.

___Good Luck

___Wayne

5. kngkeith

kngkeith Well-Known Member

I first saw the Transit Connects (and competitors) in Turkey and thought they were pretty nifty. To me they are THE solution in urban applications.

Keith

6. xcel

Hi All:

___WorkChief in action...

[​IMG]
    Status and only a few Stats of hundreds available in view.

[​IMG]
    Status and location of the fleet of all the Ford Transit Connects at the Preview with WorkChief installed.​

___Good Luck

___Wayne

7. xcel

Hi Keith:

___The Ford Transit Connect's are perfect for the inner city for a number of reasons which I will include in the Preview but the Focus Engine even when basic and intermediate Hypermiling techniques are thrown at it allows mid-teens on average in an inner city environment which is not nearly good enough for our needs or those of a small business. When the BEVs arrive, this thing makes perfect sense. For a price that makes sense overriding most everything else of course...

___Good Luck

___Wayne

8. xcel

Hi All:

___Ford’s Vehicle Line Director of Truck, SUV and Commercial Vehicles, Phil Collareno who answered and/or tried to find the proper person to answer every question I had including some regarding the BEVs that we should get the answers to over the next few days hopefully.

[​IMG]

___Given we are on two entirely different sides of the fence so to speak, Phil was very pleasant to speak with and was extremely knowledgeable about many of Ford’s current and previously announced programs across the company. He will have a Fusion Hybrid to drive in a few weeks and is now looking forward to it :)

___Good Luck

___Wayne

9. xcel

Hi All:

___The 2010 Ford Transit Connects maneuverability in real time :)

[flash]http://www.youtube.com/v/O6kcbvVjUj0&hl=en&fs=1[/flash]

___Good Luck

___Wayne