In Florida, ethanol-free gas rare but popular

Discussion in 'In the News' started by PaleMelanesian, Jun 23, 2009.

?

Would you pay more for ethanol-free gas?

1. No

6 vote(s)
    21.4%
  2. $0.05 more

3 vote(s)
    10.7%
  3. $0.10 more

3 vote(s)
    10.7%
  4. $0.15 more

6 vote(s)
    21.4%
  5. $0.20 more

5 vote(s)
    17.9%
  6. $0.25 more

5 vote(s)
    17.9%
  1. PaleMelanesian

PaleMelanesian Beat the System Staff Member

[​IMG] Station selling ethanol-free fuel sees soaring demand.

[FIMG=LEFT]http://www.cleanmpg.com/photos/data/501/E10_Suitable.jpg[/FIMG]PATRICK PETERSON - FLORIDATODAY - June 19, 2009

If demand is so high, why are politicians restricting availability? --Ed.

Gasoline without ethanol has become a hot commodity for the only two vendors who sell it in Brevard County.

"We just recently started bringing it in because there's been such a hue and cry for it from the marinas," Ken Marshall, vice president of Glover Oil in Melbourne, said Thursday.

Favored by boaters and motorcyclists, the fuel -- known as recreational gasoline -- was put on sale to the public last month by Glover Oil.

"It's a more rare product," Marshall said. "A year ago, everything started going to ethanol."

"You don't get as much gas mileage with the ethanol in it and it clogs up your catalytic converter in your car and it ruins your boats," James Blizzard, 75, of Cape Canaveral said as he filled up his SUV at Neil's Riverside BP station in Melbourne, the other public source of non-ethanol gasoline in Brevard. "I get two or three miles per gallon more out of the ethanol-free gasoline."

"I'm down here from Cape Canaveral double-checking this out so I can be sure where it is," said Blizzard, who owns a 22-foot powerboat. "Then I'll bring my boat down here and fill it up."

Ethanol-free gas is 91 octane and is priced similar to premium gasoline, usually 10 to 20 cents more per gallon than mid-grade.

Some 80 to 90 percent of customers choose the cheaper gasoline with ethanol.

Peithman said his ethanol-free customers include a taxi company, whose owners claim to get seven extra miles per gallon, and lawn services, who say that ethanol clogs the carburetors of weed trimmers and lawn mowers.... [RM]http://www.floridatoday.com/article/20090619/BUSINESS/906190314/1006/NEWS01/Ethanol-free+gas+rare+but+popular[/RM]

2. MyPart

MyPart Well-Known Member

I look forward to seeing more stations selling Ethanol free "recreational gasoline" to those that don't mind paying more for it. There are multiple, VALID reasons for not using Ethanol infused gasoline in certain ICE powered machines.

3. Earthling

Earthling Trying to be kind to Mother Earth

Peithman said his ethanol-free customers include a taxi company, whose owners claim to get seven extra miles per gallon, and lawn services, who say that ethanol clogs the carburetors of weed trimmers and lawn mowers.
    "Inside the carburetors, the ethanol basically eats it up," Scott Dennis, 42, who owns a Melbourne lawn service, said. "You either replace the carburetors or you rebuild them; some of the units are $50 to $100 apiece.

I just had to have my lawn mower serviced because it wouldn't run worth a darn, even with a new spark plug and new air filter. The repair ticket says the carburetor was cleaned and adjustments made.

Harry

4. R.I.D.E.

R.I.D.E. Well-Known Member

No choice here since we have the prevailing winds bringing pollution from almost everywhere in the US at some time.

regards
    gary

5. Taliesin

Taliesin Well-Known Member

I voted $0.10 more.

However, that's for the Ranger and the lawnmower. For the Ram I wouldn't pay any more, and for the boat I would pay $0.35 more.

6. PaleMelanesian

Nice poll!

I voted .10 more, but I regularly DO pay about 5 cents more for E-free gas. Only one station in town offers it, so that's where I fill up exclusively.

3 times last year I had 65+ mpg tanks, all running E10.

This year, I've already had a 66 tank, a 65, and a 71. It costs me less to run straight gas at about $0.05 more compared to E10.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2009
  7. melinuxfool

melinuxfool Well-Known Member

Because of the mileage loss, I figure 33% more for gas without that moonshine in it and I would break even, on a cost per mile basis.

Before I became serious about hypermiling, I was getting 18 mpg with E10 gas. Before the E10 gas, I would get 24 regularly. Gas here is $2.63 a gallon. Using figures before hypermiling, I'd pay $3.50 a gallon for gas without ethanol, and the cost for fuel would be equal. In short, E10 is a crock. And that's only figuring cost per mile for fuel, not taking into account the wear and tear that worthless junk puts on the vehicle.

8. alpha-dog

alpha-dog Member

In Oklahoma City E85 cost more than than plain gasoline. It should since it cost more to make it and you get less mpg. I rarely see the E85 any longer.

9. MnFocus

MnFocus hanging member :)

I won't pay more for them *not* to add something to the mix... no way. I don't particularly care for E10 but it is what it is.

10. Chuck

Chuck just the messenger

Trying to remember if leaded gas was more just before they discontinued it.

11. Taliesin

Taliesin Well-Known Member

Oops... Leaded.

I remember that too. It was 10 cents cheaper (and the price of unleaded was ~$0.75 a gallon).

I remember it very well, and depending on where you were in the US it would be the same as unleaded down to 4 cents cheaper.

12. GardenWeasel

GardenWeasel Well-Known Member

I'd pay a nickel...more....

13. voodoo22

voodoo22 Cheaper than the bus

The only reason ethanol gas may cost less is because of the subsidies, get rid of those and then question would be, would you pay more for ethanol gas. Of course, we already are through our taxes.

14. Yaris Hilton

Yaris Hilton Half a Bubble Off Plumb

If you get gas without ethanol, you're not likely to get "pure gasoline." You'll get gas with other "oxygenates" in it.

15. PaleMelanesian

That's true. I dug up some studies one time that showed MTBE had half as much a hit to FE as ethanol.

16. Yaris Hilton

Yaris Hilton Half a Bubble Off Plumb

That's probably at the same percentage of additive. If you compare similar levels of oxygen in the blend, I think you'll find similar hits for all the "oxygenates." 10% ethanol gives about 3.5% oxygen, whereas other oxygenates have usually been blended to about 2% oxygen. Ethanol got a special dispensation.

17. phlack

phlack Well-Known Member

An old thread. But any updates to what's available in brevard county? I've heard of one other in my area (Melbourne) and am thinking of heading there today, as it is right around the corner from where I work.

According to pure-gas.org, they are selling 90 octane in ethanol free form. Is there a problem using that when I usually use 89 in my Civic?

Thanks
    -Mike

18. ALS

ALS Super Moderator Staff Member

Non what so ever, go ahead and use it. Your car was built to use ethanol free gas in the first place.

19. herm

herm Well-Known Member

Mike, let us know how it works out and if the fuel savings pay for the higher price.

20. phlack

phlack Well-Known Member

Thanks. It was 87 and not 89 that I use. Anyway, I'm going to check it out in a little bit, so I'll report back what the price is, as compared to the other prices. Obviously the FE determination will take longer :). I've got a scanguage II, properly calibrated, but I don't know if the different fuel will require different calibration. All in the learning process!

-Mike