Plug-in Toyota Prius treks from Florida to Washington, D.C., on 9 gallons of gas

Discussion in 'PHEV or Plug-in Hybrid Electric Vehicle' started by Right Lane Cruiser, Jun 18, 2009.

1. Right Lane Cruiser

Right Lane Cruiser Penguin of Notagascar

[​IMG] "It's kind of a reality check for a lot of people to realize we don't need to worry about hydrogen fuel cells and solar-power-fueled cars."

[FIMG=LEFT]http://www.cleanmpg.com/photos/data/501/Hymotion_PHEV.jpg[/FIMG]USATODAY - June 17, 2009

Okay, that's great... but how much electricity did he use? --Ed.

A Florida car dealer found a dramatic way to show off the benefits of a plug-in hybrid car this month.

Toyota_DC097His mission? Have a mechanic drive 1,100 miles in a Toyota Prius modified as a plug-in hybrid burning as little gas as possible. Open Road's Michelle Walbaum reports:

A sign on the car explained it all: "North Palm Beach to Washington D.C. on One Tank or Bust." The result was that a Toyota dealer mechanic completed the 10-day journey last week on 9 gallons of gas, averaging 123 miles a gallon.

Florida Toyota dealer Earl Stewart sponsored the trip to show the need for clean-emission vehicles. He called the car the "Electric Green Machine." The car is fitted with a custom A123 Hymotion lithium battery that was installed at the Advanced Vehicle Research Center in Raleigh, N.C. "You can go 40 miles on one charge of a battery, you don't need to use gasoline," Stewart says.

Even with that juice, he still was dependent on the car's gas engine, which charges the battery. But a lot of the power came from a plug in the wall. "It's a more pure form of hybrid car," says Rick Kearney, Stewart's technician and driver. The electric motor can achieve to 50 miles per hour. But if one needed, or wanted to... [RM]http://content.usatoday.com/communities/openroad/post/2009/06/68187699/1[/RM]

2. Damionk

Damionk DWL Lover

So, how long until a cross country trip is made on a single tank?

3. Mr. Pancake

Mr. Pancake Well-Known Member

Ten days? Did he go 30 the whole way?

4. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi Sean:

___This is pretty cool! I wish they would have asked Jay to do the drive in his Hymotion conversion as he would have made it on less than 5 gallons ;)

___Good Luck

___Wayne

5. Psion

Psion Hyper-Beginner

This is a start, but that 10-day trip is a little long.
    1100 miles / 10 days = 110 miles/day??

6. paratwa

paratwa Well-Known Member

The article says top speed of 50MPH for battery only. I'm guessing this is part of the conversion.

As to how much electricity used, while I'm curious myself I think it's a tertiary question at best. If we get to the point where we can plug cars in at night, we can finally start to use all of the wasted "base load" that goes unused in the dark of night. :)

7. PaleMelanesian

PaleMelanesian Beat the System Staff Member

Exactly! The arguments that plugins and electric cars will overload the grid are missing that point.

8. fuzzy

fuzzy Mild hypermiler

During their recharge-stop planning on PC, I chimed in that you should drive it, as you could get there without refilling the tank and the battery.

You'd get there sooner too!

They didn't listen.

9. xcel

Hi Dean:

___It is too bad they did not do their route planning here and used Jay as the driver as it would have gone off a lot better ;)

___Either way, it is great to see the tech actually proving its worth even though the Hymotion conversion is still nowhere near where it has to be for the general consumer to pull the 100 + mpg promise.

___Good Luck

___Wayne

10. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

He's a fairly regular PriusChat member, and started a thread there that served as a travelogue. I suggested this to him:

I offered my outside outlet for a recharge, but we couldn't get our schedules in sync and he made other arrangements.

11. xcel

Hi Jim:

___Thank you for the details and supporting his PHEV drive! I hope we have quite a few more drives like this actually as it really is needed to get us moving towards an all-electric or mostly electric propulsion :)

___Good Luck

___Wayne

12. TheForce

TheForce He who posts articles

There is no way I would do this with a short range PHEV. A short range PHEV is better suited for your daily commute which I will prove here in a few weeks. I will not be stopping every 30 miles on my way to Hybridfest to recharge. I just don't have that kind of time and even if I did I still would not do it for such a long trip. If I had plans to stop every 30 miles for 5 hours I would try to plug in but when I want to get somewhere a long ways away I want to spend as much time on the road to get to my destination. I will however recharge at the hotels if they allow it.

13. I'm just curious what any of these drivers could do with a plugin hybrid. I have a feeling 1100 miles wouldn't be a problem.

14. Right Lane Cruiser

Right Lane Cruiser Penguin of Notagascar

Considering Larry has hit that mark with an non-plugin Prius... yeah! :D

15. xcel

Hi Aether glider:

___I just pray one of us can accomplish the same with the 2010??? Jud has the car but maybe not the drive and now that we know the 100 mpg pop is there, it should only be a matter of time...

___Good Luck

___Wayne

16. diamondlarry

diamondlarry Super MPG Man/god :D

My record tank of 101.1 would have allowed me to go a bit over 1253 miles if I had pushed it closer to empty. That was the tank where I started my original attempt at my 1225 mile goal that got cut short when I had to go pick up my wife's current car in Ohio. I think with a Hymotion, I could almost get by without using gas. At most only a couple of tanks a year or so.

17. Gordon

Gordon Highland Hypermiler

Department of Energy did a study on it two and a half years ago. There is enough capacity to power electric vehicles for the United States in most areas, other areas would just need to boost output. A similar study was concluded in the European Union and it was found that there was more capacity available than would be required.

Links to DOE Study:

http://energytech.pnl.gov/publications/pdf/PHEV_Feasibility_Analysis_Part1.pdf
    http://energytech.pnl.gov/publications/pdf/PHEV_Economic_Analysis_Part2_Final.pdf

18. voodoo22

voodoo22 Cheaper than the bus

I saw a PHEV Prius yesterday, but it drove by me so fast all I had time to see was the PHEV decal on the back bumper and the outlet.

19. xcel

Hi Voodoo:

___Definitely one of those pulling 60 mpg or less with their $35,000 PHEV :ccry:

___Good Luck

___Wayne