New Michelin Energy’s offer no compromise between fuel economy and performance

Discussion in 'In the News' started by xcel, Jun 11, 2009.

1. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

[​IMG] Michelin Energy Saver A/S passenger car tire now available.

[fimg=right]http://www.cleanmpg.com/photos/data/501/Michelin_Energy_s_after_100_000_miles.jpg[/fimg]Wayne Gerdes - CleanMPG - June 11, 2009

Michelin Energy MXV4 Plus’ after 110,000 miles... Michelin improves upon their previous best with even more fuel savings and improved wet weather traction.

Greenville, SC. -- The Michelin Energy Saver A/S tire that goes on-sale this week was designed for exceptional levels of fuel-efficiency without compromise. It is one of the first all-season tires to combine low levels of rolling resistance with superior levels of wet braking and all-season performance.

Michelin Energy Saver Construction technology keeps the tire cooler, helping the engine to improve its fuel-efficiency. According to Michelin, the Energy saver A/S is up to 8 percent more fuel-efficient than other tires in its class and can reduce a vehicle's CO2 emissions by as much as 2,000 pounds of CO2.

The Michelin Energy Saver A/S tire represents Michelin's best in tire engineering and design. Fuel savings are combined with superior grip and safety, allowing the tire to stop 8 feet shorter than the competition when compared to Bridgestone’s most recent fuel saving tire, the Ecopia EP100. In terms of low rolling resistance and “best in class” fuel economy, the Ecopia’s reign supreme.

"We developed this tire to meet a very distinctive consumer need and break the performance compromise of other competitive fuel-efficient tires. The Energy Saver A/S tire not only delivers the best fuel efficiency, it does so while lasting longer and stopping shorter than other fuel efficient tires," said Rob Cunningham, brand category manager, Michelin North America.

The technology engineered into the Michelin Energy Saver A/S is the result of more than 16 years of Michelin's research and development in the area of rolling resistance and fuel-efficiency. With the new Energy Saver, Michelin engineers were able to achieve and deliver increased fuel-efficiency by decreasing the levels of rolling resistance.

Michelin Comfort Control Technology engineered into the tire uses computer-optimized design and precision manufacturing to offer greatly reduced vibrations and road noise to keep the vehicle quiet, while a silica-based rubber compound provides its all-season traction. An energy saving contact patch provides leading wear life that helps the Michelin Energy Saver last 16,000 miles longer than the Bridgestone Ecopia EP100 and the Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max.

The Michelin Energy Saver A/S tire is now available in four sizes that include popular mainstream and hybrid vehicles. The sizes are: P215/60R16; P195/65R15; P195/60R15 and P185/65R15. Pricing will be available at time of launch.

2. PaleMelanesian

PaleMelanesian Beat the System Staff Member

@$#!@$#!

I was waiting for this. I finally gave up two weeks ago and bought the Goodyear Fuel Max tires for the Ody.

3. ksstathead

ksstathead Moderator

That old tire in the picture looks a little low, Wayne...:p

4. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi Ksstathead:

___You do not have to sorry about that Michelin Energy as she was north of 60 when that pic was taken ;)

___Good Luck

___Wayne

5. ALS

ALS Super Moderator Staff Member

I love my Michelin Energy MXV4 Plus's on my 960.

6. cephraim

cephraim Noob

Is there any info available on how the Fuel Max's compare on snow?

7. MaxxMPG

MaxxMPG Hasta Lavista AAA-Vee Von't Be Bach

The Fuel Max has a tread design that is about identical to the Assurance. If there's a difference in specs or tread pattern, I can't see it. Since the Fuel Max hit the stores after snow season, there is no way to know for sure how well (or poorly) they will do in ice/snow.

The Assurance reviews on tire rack show ice/snow in the "yellow" zone, or "good" but not excellent or superior. To be fair, that is about the same as most touring tires.
    Based on your location, I can understand your concern about winter weather performance. My driving in the Pocono mountains area all but requires the use of winter tires. On my car, I use the cheaper Graspic tires and they don't lose all that much in fuel economy. The higher roll resistance is offset by generally lower speeds in winter due to longer nights and slick roads. The car definitely doesn't coast as well on snows, but I will take that tradeoff for the freedom of staying out of the ditch.

Although the Fuel Max is too new to know how well they will stick when roads are slick, the tires they're based on seem to be about average.

8. cephraim

cephraim Noob

Thanks!

This is for my wife's Pacifica (crossover, AWD SUV thing).
    So, she's not a hypermiler at all.

Just looking to improve the FE on that car without her having to do anything!
    Changing to snows isn't really an option for her either.

I'll hafta give this some more thought...

Eph

9. GardenWeasel

GardenWeasel Well-Known Member

The Michelin Energy Saver A/S tire is hitting the market just right for me...(rant on) I am sick-to-death of the very noisy Dunlop's, and though I have only 28,000 miles on them, I want them GONE! The Dunlop's are scary in the rain - and I've lost all trust in them. I have another 1100 mile trip starting (leaving tomorrow and returning Sunday), and it may be the last on the Dunlop's! (emotional rant off). I would love to hear how noisy the Michelin Energy Saver A/S tire's are before buying...

10. PaleMelanesian

Any new tire will be quieter than an old one. My Ody's Symmetry's got really loud the last 10,000 miles.

11. cpeter38

cpeter38 Right Lane Dweller

If your Dunlops are in the neighborhood of the tires on my SVT, I TOTALLY understand! My wife had a blowout w/the stock tires while I was on a business trip in Germany. When I got back, I was horrified by the Semi-truck howl from the new tires that some wretched excuse for a tire salesman had pawned off on her (oops, now I'm ranting).

12. vtec-e

vtec-e Celtic MPG Warrior

My kia cee'd sw came with michelin energy savers. I had to replace the fronts after 46,000km. They showed centre wear at sidewall max so i lowered them from 50psi to 45psi and the wear evened out just in time to replace them. I was less than pleased with them but it appears others here have had much better luck with them. Maybe the construction is different? Maybe they were sized wrong for the rim? Anyway, whenever the tires wear out on my yaris i might consider the michelin but i'd hate to spend the money and then not get what i paid for, ie: FE, lifespan, braking distance.

ollie

13. nervousmini

nervousmini Well-Known Member

I saw the new Michi's on a base MINI Cooper that I preped last week. Really a sharp looking tire, nice tread design. I can't really vouch for much else since I only got to put 2 miles on them but they seemed at least as good as the Continentals that usually come OEM. But I am still just glad that they stopped putting Dunlops and Pirellis - good tires but not really a good match for the cars.

14. drimportracing

drimportracing Pizza driver: 61,000+ deliveries

Too bad they don't come in 13".:( - Dale

15. jimepting

jimepting Well-Known Member

Anyone have the actual rolling resistance numbers for the Michelin, Bridgestone and Goodyear?

16. GardenWeasel

GardenWeasel Well-Known Member

No - but I'd certainly be interested!

17. drimportracing

drimportracing Pizza driver: 61,000+ deliveries

18. cpeter38

There are some significant problems with this tire:
    1.) The GreenX tires cost $40+ more per tire over the Goodyear Fuelmax tires.

2.) The tread wear rating is significantly lower than the Fuelmax tires.

While I appreciate the effort, the GreenX having 50% greater cost and 80% of tread wear makes it a non-starter for me.

19. PaleMelanesian

?? At Tirerack, I found them for about the same price.

Michelin Energy Saver, not GreenX.

20. cpeter38

I think it depends on your tire size:
    1.) The Energy Saver A/S is $137 for the 215/60 R16s
    2.) The Fuelmax tires are $90 for 215/60 R16s​