A World First for Hyundai Hybrid

Discussion in 'Hyundai' started by seftonm, Jun 4, 2009.

1. seftonm

seftonm Veteran Staff Member

[​IMG] The Elantra LPI HEV will be the first car in the world to use Lithium Ion Polymer batteries, and the world's first hybrid electric vehicle with a liquefied petroleum injected engine.

[FIMG=LEFT]http://www.cleanmpg.com/photos/data/501/elantraLPIHEV.jpg[/FIMG]Peter Chang - SAE - May 21, 2009

Hoping to see Hyundai's hybrid technology over here in the near future. --Ed.

What Hyundai Motor says is the world’s first hybrid-electric with a liquefied petroleum injected (LPI) engine will go on sale in its initial target market of homeland Korea beginning in July. Called the Elantra LPI HEV, the vehicle uses lithium-ion polymer batteries.

Hyundai unveiled the car at the recent Seoul Motor Show in the South Korean capital.

Korea is heavily dependent on oil imports. The Elantra LPI HEV will help reduce national energy consumption by promoting diversified energy usage, the automaker said. Hyundai, which is to expand its hybrid vehicle lineup to include a full-hybrid version of the Sonata replacement due in 2010, did not specify the timetable for foreign sales of its hybrids.

Lee Hyun-Soon, Vice Chairman and Chief Technology Officer of the Hyundai-Kia Corporate Research and Development Division, said the Elantra LPI HEV has a Gamma engine of 1.6-L displacement and a 15-kW electric motor. It is a “prime example of Hyundai innovation” because the company has leveraged its world leadership in LPG-fueled vehicles to the development of a hybrid that will be economical to operate. All key components, including the motor, battery, and dc/dc converter, have been developed by Hyundai and its local partners, according to Lee.

The flywheel-mounted motor-generator parallel hybrid system was developed independently at Hyundai’s Hybrid Vehicle Development Center in Namyang, Korea. Using a continuously variable transmission (CVT), the Elantra LPI HEV is a mild hybrid boasting fuel economy of 17.2 km/L—a 41.4% improvement over a conventional Elantra with a 1.6-L engine and automatic transmission.... [RM]http://www.sae.org/mags/AEI/6273[/RM]

2. Student Driver

Student Driver Well-Known Member

Hoping to see Hyundai's hybrid technology over here packaged in the Elantra Touring wagon.

3. JusBringIt

JusBringIt Be Inspired

40mpgUS isn't terrible, could actually be a lot better. I wonder how they ran the tests.

4. paratwa

paratwa Well-Known Member

For their first attempt out of the gate 40mpg is very decent. The price point isn't mentioned either and I could see that having a greater impact. If Hyundai can offer decent hybrid performance for $16k or so that will be a game changer.

5. PaleMelanesian

PaleMelanesian Beat the System Staff Member

Compare to the insight at 41 mpg. I have no doubt they'd price this one lower. If it comes in the wagon variety, the game's up. Equal mpg, lower price, bigger utility.

6. Right Lane Cruiser

Right Lane Cruiser Penguin of Notagascar

Except... it runs on LPG.

7. PaleMelanesian

PaleMelanesian Beat the System Staff Member

Errr... yeah, that. :eek:

8. Tomjones76

Tomjones76 Well-Known Member

I'm uncertain if we should even consider 40 MPG LP vs 40 MPG straight gas even vaguely comparable... anyone remember what the fleet LP Crown Victorias used to get for MPG?

9. Tomjones76

Tomjones76 Well-Known Member

Whooops. I think that Crown Vic was CNG... never mind...