Hyundai's Ambitious Green Agenda

Discussion in 'Hyundai' started by seftonm, May 25, 2009.

1. seftonm

seftonm Veteran Staff Member

[​IMG] Hyundai puts Toyota and Honda in the crosshairs as it vows to become the world's top maker of fuel-efficient vehicles.

[fimg=right]http://www.cleanmpg.com/photos/data/501/Hyundai_HED-5_i_Concept.jpg[/fimg]Jeremy Cato - Globe Auto – May 23, 2009

Hyundai continues to move up and impress. --Ed.

John Krafcik is no longer willing or even interested in debating the science or the “truth” about climate change or global warming.

And it's not because the acting CEO of Hyundai North America is either shy of a fight or trying to avoid controversy and simply focus on selling cars in a weak market.

No, better fuel economy and lower vehicle emissions are an “indisputable social good” and delivering clean cars is, therefore, good business with a growing and influential segment of the buying public. Many of them are the smart early adopters or 20- and 30-something professionals Hyundai – like all the other car companies – wants to capture as new buyers.

In an appeal at least partially crafted for them, Krafcik has been arguing that whether climate change is the result of human activity or sunspots or something else, there remains a “finite supply of oil, and the turmoil that our present consumption habit is fuelling in the Middle East …” makes it “abundantly clear that improved fuel economy makes sense for our industry and for our country,” he said in a recent speech marked by its candour and its potentially controversial tone.

So Krafcik is talking the talk. Now we'll see if he and Hyundai can walk the walk. We won't have long to wait.

In five years or less, Krafcik and Hyundai will be revealed either as experts at working the spin cycle of the car sales game, or deadly serious players in the race to deliver clean vehicles that dramatically reduce emissions and fuel consumption.

That's Hyundai's own time frame. The South Korean company has said it will meet the U.S. and Canadian government-mandated fuel economy fleet average of 6.7 litres/100 km (35 miles per gallon) by 2010... [rm]http://www.theglobeandmail.com/auto/hyundais-ambitious-green-agenda/article1143931/[/rm]

Last edited: May 25, 2009
  2. chibougamoo

chibougamoo Well-Known Member

These guys are worth watching --- they've come a long way, awfully fast. And they seem to be able to turn around new ideas (seen in other cars) and incorporate them into THEIR designs much faster than most other larger manufacturers. Mercedes comes out with a new light cluster, and 6 months later, there's something similar on a new Sonata!

3. voodoo22

voodoo22 Cheaper than the bus

Exactly what I was thinking. Even if they carbon copied Toyota, their option would generate more needed competition.

4. Indigo

Indigo Witch with wry sense of humor

If GM/Chrysler had made the progress in quality/styling that Hyundai has accomplished, they wouldn't be bankrupt now. But I'll also bet that the Hyundai CEO wasn't taking a $12 million bonus either.

I'd give a Hyundai hybrid a shot. Some of my coworkers drive Hyundai vehicles and say they are very reliable. (Ideally, I'd like it if Ford came out with an affordable entry-level hybrid, however).

5. WriConsult

WriConsult Super Moderator

Hyundai is definitely a company to keep an eye on. A decade ago they were the butt of jokes. By Consumer Reports' quality measures they have surpassed the US automakers and some of the Japanese (Mitsubishi, Mazda, Nissan) and are quickly closing in on the better Japanese ones (Honda, Toyota, Subaru).

I do have some serious concerns about their use of Li-Po batteries though. My understanding is they're not much safer than conventional Li-Cobalt cells. Hope I'm wrong.