Polls

Discussion in 'Website news & discussions' started by Chuck, May 19, 2009.

1. Chuck

Chuck just the messenger

I do polls to promote activity at CleanMPG, but it generates more negative feedback than anything I do here.

Part of it is the nature of polls, but some have unrealistic expectations.

Remember, it's to promote activity and/or to get a snapshot of the views here.

I'll make an honest effort to word the poll as fairly and as completely as possible, but I'm not George Gallup.

Interestingly on occasion, I copy a poll from USA Today, CNN, BBC and there have been complaints....in other words a few will never be pleased.

Anyone that starts a thread can do a poll, yet few here bother to....I suspect that is because most here understand how hard it is to word one.

So, what I'm saying is once a poll is done, it's hard to edit - not just technically. If the poll is substantially changed, it might as well be trashed and redone. Adding choices and changing votes is usually easy.

I'd ask if the poll is reasonably fair and close to the mark, let it be. If not, I'll try to fix it.

2. Damionk

Damionk DWL Lover

Didn't you post something similar to this about 6 months ago?

I think you do a good job on the polls. I personally don't discuss on them much because I don't have opinions on most of them.

3. Chuck

Chuck just the messenger

Probably.

Thank you for the vote of confidence. :)

Just thought of something. If any of you have suggestions for future polls, I'll keep them in mind....it's much easier to know them prior to a poll than when editing. I mean the types of poll questions and the wording.

It occurred to me the most tasteless kind of poll, would be:
    Fortunately that has never happened as far as I know, nor do I think is would be allowed.

4. Damionk

Damionk DWL Lover

What if the CleanMPG member is yourself?

I may just go start that just for the heck of it.

5. Chuck

Chuck just the messenger

Yes you can do your own poll if you start the thread - just pay attention to the options at the end of the page before starting the thread.

6. hobbit

hobbit He who posts articles

I've observed that you [Delta] turning an astounding proportion of
    your posts into polls, and was vaguely thinking of saying something
    but figured it was just something you liked doing and I wasn't
    going to rain on the parade. The poll could be seen as something
    that demands a response in a way, and when such demands get too
    numerous it's easy to react negatively; "what, *another* one of
    these?" ... so I'm not surprised that this perception turned out
    to be more common.
    Generally a post throws out a topic; discussion or weighing in on
    it is completely optional at any forum site but making it a poll
    might lend it some sense of ersatz urgency that people don't see
    the point of. Just sayin'. You'll notice that I've never
    filled out any of the polls, but have added occasional comments
    on the subject.
    _H*

7. abcdpeterson

abcdpeterson Well-Known Member

8. Chuck

Chuck just the messenger

Sometimes I don't answer my own polls if I don't have an opinion.

Other times, I delay voting to avoid swaying opinion in a direction.

I understand that some opinions can't always be pegged into a poll

9. Elixer

Elixer Well-Known Member

No one (as in me, as I actually don't really know but choose to be so presumptuous as to assume so) takes the results of any of the polls too seriously, so go wild! My vote on this poll is: life is too short to worry about annoying a few people, some heads are always going bugged. In the words of a great college student, "it's better to have a pair than to be politically correct"

(note: you can tell I'm in a good mood)

10. voodoo22

voodoo22 Cheaper than the bus

I like polls, no matter who makes them if it's on a topic I can relate to. They're more fun when worded somewhat soundly, but everything can be misinterpreted.

It will always astound me what people have the time to complain about or have a chip on their shoulder about. I wonder how many of these chip bearers are the 1st child or only child in their family? Seems like that type of person is more easily offended when they aren't in control or perceive others trying to take some. Why can't people just move on if they don't like something as minuscule as an internet poll?

Thanks for the effort of all those who take the time to make a poll.

11. Mr. Pancake

Mr. Pancake Well-Known Member

You know, you could do a poll on that. "Are you an only child and/or first born child and do you like to complain about polls? Yes or no."

12. Taliesin

Taliesin Well-Known Member

I vote in every poll that I can.

On some of them the answers don't quite fit me and I won't vote, but I'll say so and why.

13. Shiba3420

Shiba3420 Well-Known Member

I'd say some of the polls are a bit off topic from the main post and/or represent a limited view. When its truely for/against, its interesting. If its #s, like how many X do you have, then its also interesting. But when its more vague and really requires more of an explantion, then I'm not as intersted.

I'd actaully say the biggest problem with polls on the site are the large ones (lots of entries). This wouldn't be as annoying if they would only show up on the first page or were minimized in some way until you try to vote, but I hate it when I have 10 pages of responses to read and each page starts off with half of the screen filled with the poll.

Overall, I think the polls do encourage activity, but you should just expect some resistance.

14. jimepting

jimepting Well-Known Member

I kinda like polls. I'd rather read good engineering discussions, but you will never please everyone.

I designed some polls for the escapees.com forum, an RV forum. The trick is to provide enough range of questions that about 90% of responders will have an answer that pretty closely meets their feelings. You won't do better than that. You want about 5-7 choices and a "none of the above." Try your best to make the question "sterile," unbiased and non-political. It IS tough :)

15. voodoo22

voodoo22 Cheaper than the bus

Done! :)

Poll