City of Seattle's PHEVs get 51mpg combined - Why?

Discussion in 'PHEV or Plug-in Hybrid Electric Vehicle' started by Chuck, May 17, 2009.

?

City of Seattle's PHEVs get 51mpg combined - Why?

1. The PHEVs are overhyped

3 vote(s)
    16.7%
  2. The PHEVs can do 100mpg, but need tweaking

2 vote(s)
    11.1%
  3. The users need a driving clinic

14 vote(s)
    77.8%
  4. The driving in Seattle is a bad fit for the PHEVs

1 vote(s)
    5.6%
  5. Users forgetting to plug them in overnight

8 vote(s)
    44.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Chuck

Chuck just the messenger

[​IMG] Everyone have been lead to believe they would get at least 100 miles to the gallon

[fimg=left]http://www.cleanmpg.com/photos/data/501/PHEV_Prius.jpg[/fimg]Scott McCredie - Wired - May 6, 2009

Yes, this is disappointing but we definitely need more information. Bad driving? PHEV needs a tweak? Normal usage a bad fit for PHEVs? A combination? -- Ed.

Seattle has outfitted more than a dozen Toyota Prius hybrids with new plug-in technology to squeeze even better fuel efficiency from the eco-wonder.

Officials there were intrigued by data suggesting they could cut their fuel consumption in half by using batteries charged directly from the grid. If claims are to be believed, drivers would routinely see 100 mpg using readily available battery packs installed in the trunk.

Just over a year after performing the conversions, the city says it is thrilled with the cars. The plug-in Prius hybrids have used less gas and emitted less CO2 than their conventional counterparts. But the tests also have put a big dent in the plug-in promise.

Having racked up some 17,000 miles, the plug-in Prius hybrids are averaging just 51 mpg. That's raising uncomfortable questions about the value and effectiveness of plug-in technology, even as President Obama pledges to have 1 million of them on the road by 2015...[rm]http://www.wired.com/cars/coolwheels/news/2009/05/plugins0506[/rm]

Last edited: May 17, 2009
  2. TheForce

TheForce He who posts articles

You need one more option on there.

They are not plugging them in!

3. Chuck

Chuck just the messenger

I think a driving clinic would make a substantial difference, but I think there are other factors.

Are these PHEV-20s? If a city employee drives 100 miles in a day, then 80 of those miles is just like a stock Prius.

4. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi Chuck:

___Even members of our forum do not quite understand the promise or capabilities of this technology in a Prius-II platform. The low numbers have everything to do with the limitations of the Prius-II when converted and nothing more. If the conversions had a true 62 mph EV like the OEM PHEVs, it would work as advertised. With the variable resistor hack to fool coolant temps, EV Button to force EV under 34 and WS while cruising down the highway, those all help but none of them will fix the Prius-II for a true PHEV conversion platform for the masses.

___Francis has one here in the Milwaukee area and was receiving < 45 mpg while driving a 4-mile one-way commute. Even after a clinic he is only up to the low 60’s IIRC due to the continuing warm-up hit the stock Prius’ are plagued with.

___Not helping matters is the PHEV proponents with their pie in the sky pronouncements again and again. A PHEV conversion certainly can get 100 + mpg but so can a non-converted if driven within its element. Outside and the FE of either tanks quickly.

___Good Luck

___Wayne

5. Chuck

Chuck just the messenger

Added to poll

6. TheForce

Thanks. I selected driving clinic and users not plugging them in.

My CAN-View is now maxed out at 255MPG and my SG is reporting about 210MPG. I still have %50 fuel remaining and over 1100 miles on this tank so far.

7. Chuck

Chuck just the messenger

Is your Prius now a PHEV-20?

8. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi Jay:

___Take the coolant temp hack and EV Button out and let us know what happens on short trips let alone most Prius drivers have no clue what WS is? The last item is the inability for the average driver to use less than 30 HP to accelerate a 3,000 + pound vehicle to 34 mph without bringing the engine online.

___Good Luck

___Wayne

9. bnther

bnther Well-Known Member

I suspect it's probably a combination of poor driving and depleted batteries.
    The whole thing about mileage is attitude. You have to want to get good mileage or you won't achieve anything. I recently drove a hybrid Camry for a day. When I got in the car the average mpg was 39 and by the end of the day, I had it up to 42. When asked about it I told them "just go easy on the gas". Is it really that difficult a concept?

10. TheForce

I have had the Hymotion 5kWh battery for about 9 months now.

On my commute I could still pull 100-150+MPG in the summer and maybe 75-120MPG in the winter. You will have to pry the EV button and coolant temp hack from my cold dead hands. :D

Really short trips like a block or two or less than 5 minute drive an EV button is a must. The Hymotion is great for city driving if you have a manual EV button. Otherwise the stock Hymotion setup is better suited for highway/longer tirp drives.

11. paratwa

paratwa Well-Known Member

Interestingly a bit ago I had a long distance drive through hilly states and very little time. I had to discard FE and just go for time. Even high speeds for extended hours I was still getting 40MPG on my HCHI. This was counter to what I had expected because I only get high 40s when being very gentle trying for FE.