the truck I've always wanted

Discussion in 'My Ride' started by npauli, May 16, 2009.

1. npauli

npauli Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

2002 Chevy 2500HD
    crew cab, long bed, 4x4
    6.6L Duramax diesel, 6 speed manual tranny, 3.73 differential
    probably 7000-7500 lbs empty
    around 21+mpg average since I bought it last July. Recent tanks are over 22.

Of the 3 trucks I've owned, this is by far the biggest (others were reg cab), most capable (others were half ton, gas, 2wd), and MOST FUEL EFFICIENT (never broke 20mpg in others). I shopped around for months before deciding what to go with, and more months to find the one I wanted.

I'm thrilled with the truck so far, and the tips here have so far given me at least an extra 1-2 mpg. I'm hesitant to do anything too out of the ordinary (like FAS) out of engine durability concerns, but some of the basics like keeping rpms low, DWB, and coasting in neutral seem to really help.

Nevermind why I chose a truck in the first place and not something smaller. I have my reasons, but that novel can wait for another day.

YEAH diesel!!! I with there were more oil burners to choose from in the US.

2. ILAveo

ILAveo Well-Known Member

Just be sure to find a good mechanic for it.

Our sad experience at work with our 03 and 05 Chevy diesels was that most Chevy dealerships don't have mechanics good at trouble-shooting diesels. We didn't have that much trouble with them, but what trouble we had took many trips to the dealership to resolve (fuel gauge shorts when filling dual tanks and cold weather starting problems mainly. )

In one instance the waranty lapsed and was not honored on the return trip to the dealer for the same problem.

3. nervousmini

nervousmini Well-Known Member

Be sure to check the invoices for the repairs that were already performed, in most instances there is a warranty on that specific repair visit for 90 days or in some cases up to a year.

Also don't forget the 4 visit/30 days out of service lemon law rule.

A service center with poorly trained/skilled technicians is no excuse for an unresolved issue. I see plenty of them come to me from other dealers that "can't fix it", it's not impossible it just takes time and dedication to resolving the issue.

More importantly - sweet truck npauli, and nice to see it being used as a real truck should be - not just hauling a flat of petunias

4. ILAveo

ILAveo Well-Known Member

Different situation in our case. Although the symptoms were the same they tried a new diagnosis (changing filters and glow plugs every few months was about all our dealer would ever do under warranty--we just assumed that it ate glow plugs), so there was no previous repair warranty for whatever blown seal was found as the true problem by a more capable dealer 150 miles from home. After two years that repair finally fixed he problem. The local dealer told us to get stuffed when we tried to claim it as a warranty item they failed to repair during the warranty period.

We often get our Chevies serviced by good mechanics at a local Ford dealer now. My point is that you should shop around for your mechanic since the Chevy diesel isn't the most common rig.

Except for the previously mentioned issues, they were good, strong running trucks that we were able to run hard. If I'd needed a heavy duty P/U with a specialty tool box bed, I'd have bought one with 150K on it from the company when we were done with them.

5. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi Npauli:

___When you need to pull stumps, there is nothing like a ¾ Ton or larger ;)

___Watch the maintenance and she should give you years of service with a minimal amount of $’s but be sure to drive your most fuel efficient vehicle when the Duramax is not needed.

___I always wanted to find out what one of those monsters was worth at 55 mph down the Interstate when perfectly setup and I bet it is a pretty spectacular number :)

___My favorite P/U is a hybrid of sorts. She'll offer 40 to 60 in the summer and 30 to 40 in the winter when throwing the book at her.

___Good Luck

___Wayne

6. bomber991

bomber991 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Hooray diesel

7. npauli

npauli Well-Known Member

I can get 23-25 if the weather cooperates. Spectacular for a truck this size, but still pitiful compared to a something much smaller. Could do better with various mods, but all the mods I know of compromise something, as well as costing $.

There's a good forum for the GM diesels that's inhabited by a number of GM diesel techs, so I feel like at least I have an idea what to expect.

Sounds strange, but in the not-too distant future, the Duramax may be my most fuel efficient vehicle. 2nd child is on the way, so my wife may replace her 25mpg CRV with a 21mpg minivan soon. Kids don't take up that much space, but all the stuff you gotta haul around with the kids (diaper bags, bikes, stroller, wagons, humongous plastic toys, car seats, etc.) eat up a lot of volume. Maybe we just need to learn to pack lighter for the weekends at grandma's.

Also wanted to mention - I've been amazed at the lack of flaming here for folks like me driving a big vehicle. I didn't expect the "better mpg, whatever you drive" thing to be much more than a motto, but so far I've been pleasantly suprised. I might even be able to cross pollinate a bit between here and the big diesel forums and help the other big trucks burn less fuel.

8. nervousmini

nervousmini Well-Known Member

I have to admit that I too have been pleasantly surprised by the genuinely positive reception I have got and the endless support that I have recieved from the members here - despite that fact that I drive one of those darn SUVs. It's not just lip service - the motto is heartfelt and practiced by every single member that I have had any contact with. Kudos to Wayne and crew for a top notch forum!

9. JusBringIt

JusBringIt Be Inspired

no one should be turned frowned upon for what vehicle they brought. We understand that there is a background behind purchases and just the fact that you guys are here shows that you understand what's going on. A lot of people just don't and we can only hope that in time they will turn around and realize.

For some, it's just point A to point B, not realizing that gasoline doesn't last forever. I'm not preaching armageddon, but if you don't have much of something that is pretty much a necessity by today's standards, you have to moderate.

Kudos to you fellows for knowing what you have and still making the effort. That's what really counts.

We know that the next time you go to make an auto purchase, you'll be well armed.
    We know that the next time you go to utilize any of the limited resources that keeps mankind in "harmony," it will be done responsibly.

As long as we can depend on each other as fellow citizens of this great country and as human beings to be responsible, the edge of the universe is the limit.