Lack of MINI Coopers

Discussion in 'Other Manufacturers' started by nervousmini, May 8, 2009.

1. nervousmini

nervousmini Well-Known Member

I was just looking around and was surprised at the lack of people hypermiling in the MINI coopers. They seem a natural for it, at least a regular cooper (not they 's' version). I could be a little biased being a MINI cooper mechanic, but they have alot going for them - small, light, good aero shape, available 6 speed manual and they have pretty good mpg to start with.

Just wondering....

2. Chuck

Chuck just the messenger

Couple of months ago at the Dallas Auto Show there were plenty looking at the Minis

[​IMG]

3. nervousmini

There is still a good deal of demand for cars at the dealership I work at and most of my customers comment that one of the main reasons they bought one was for the MPG, I was just surprised that more of them aren't trying to make the most of the cars. I see avg mpg on them usually in the mid 30s all the time.

I think the right car - an early standard cooper with manual trans, no sunroof (it's a heavy bugger), and a few easy mods and you could really have something.

4. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi Scott:

___I have written a ton of stories on the Mini in hopes some would consider one for their next purchase. With excellent handling and extremely fun to drive nature plus great FE, what is not to like as you know ;)

___Good Luck

___Wayne

5. nervousmini

I have noticed the news items and stories that get posted here and am just surprised that MINI drivers haven't either discovered hypermiling or cleanmpg.com. I'm going to have to start giving plugs of the forum to my customers and see who joins up.

6. JusBringIt

JusBringIt Be Inspired

Sounds great Scott! I'm sure a few will actually check us out and might even join. There is always resistance to change and that's one uphill battle of which the crest is yet to be in sight.

7. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi Scott:

___Maybe later on this summer, we can work on procuring an 09 Mini Convertible w/ the 6-speed stick for a review. Unfortunately, the press pool will more than likely include the less efficient ā€œSā€ with the 6-speed AT because many of the Chicago area journalists probably do not know how to drive a stick :rolleyes:

___I see you are from Kenosha which is next town over from me. If we can get one, would you like to be part of that review?

___Good Luck

___Wayne

8. nervousmini

Yea, I live up in K-town but I work in Lake Bluff, IL

Let me know when and what model you would like and I will get in touch with the sales department and try to arrange it. I probably also get you any BMW stuff as well. They used to have all kinds of cool giveaway swag, but the budgets have taken most of that stuff away, but brochures and any technical specs are easy to get.

mpg notwithstanding I would love to have a MINI Cooper S Clubman with the John Cooper Works kit......(insert Homer Simpson drooling sound efx), I get all slaphappy when I have one to work on.

9. voodoo22

voodoo22 Cheaper than the bus

I would love a Mini. I think they're nearly perfect vehicles. We couldn't justify the $!0 grand premium over our Yaris for one, even though these 2 cars are no comparable.

I think that's the main reason you don't see many Mini's around here. Cost and fear of expensive maintenance.

10. Chuck

Chuck just the messenger

If we Americans ate less donuts, more Minis would sell

[​IMG]

11. Doofus McFancyPants

Doofus McFancyPants Well-Known Member

make a mini with 3-cyl that takes Regular fuel and i am all over it.
    I cannot get past the Premium fuel requiorment
    and the price premuim as well.

12. psyshack

psyshack He who posts articles

Mini's cost way to much for what you get. The local BMW dealer sells them. Scares a lot of folks right off of them with good reason. A Brit name and old look on German running gear that's enough to scare most away.

The Mini's have cool and that's it. Mazda3's whip on them at the local auto-x something awful, Si's eat them alive.

13. nervousmini

Granted they are not the 'best' of any particular category, the suspension is lacking for auto-x, the engine lacks the low end torque to beat other off the line (208 hp closes the gap at the end though).

I know the price and the dealership experience (especially for the combined centers seems a little colder) can be a point for many people as well.

I'm not really advocating that people already into hypermiling run out and get a mini - there are obviosly better choices out there for that purpose. I was just surprised that with a epa hwy rating of 37 for a base mini - it's obviously a selling point to some of my customers, that the current owners hadn't discovered hypermiling their minis.

I'm just going to start plugging the group to the customers that I talk to and spread the word. I just can't help but wonder what mpg you could get with the right car and someone who really knew how to do it right - not me by a longshot (yet).

14. Right Lane Cruiser

Right Lane Cruiser Penguin of Notagascar

Too bad you aren't in the Twin Cities area... I'd like to do a review on one. :)

15. nervousmini

Chicago/Milwaukee is the best I can do. Love Minneapolis though, hell of a town.

Just go to your local dealer, take one for a test drive and let us know how what it can do.

16. Right Lane Cruiser

Right Lane Cruiser Penguin of Notagascar

I'm pretty sure they won't let me do a couple of days worth of test driving. ;)

17. nervousmini

I did a very unscientific study over the last few days. I checked the on board computer of all the cars that I worked on and kept track of the mpg. For the last 12 cars that I worked on I got an average of 26.408mpg.

Now granted 8 of the 12 were cooper 's' cars and 7 of the 12 were also automatics. I was kind of surprised it was that low, my lowest was 20.2 and the highest was 33.3 (strange enough it was a new clubman automatic trans with a roof rack for a khyak and a bike carrier). Some of the low mpgs can be attributed to service needs.

I can only wonder what these cars could be capable of......they aren't even reaching the epa combined ratings.

18. JusBringIt

JusBringIt Be Inspired

now just imagine how many cars on the road arent' achieving epa figures ;)

19. nervousmini

Excuse me, I think I need to sit down for a minute and let my brain wrap itself around that....

Nope didn't help. Arrrgghh!

20. JusBringIt

JusBringIt Be Inspired

people thrive...ehem...DRIVE on ignorance of some very important matters. Living next to a busy street, I can hear the cars roar by....it wouldn't be so bad if the stoplights weren't 50 yards apart and in sync.

I truly am terrified of driving with all except one person I know. I drove with my brother and a friend on the way to a soccer game. I guess he thought the speed limit was 100. very nice guy, but doesn't really know what's going on.