Retrieving DTCs with the ScanGauge

Discussion in 'Ford Hybrids' started by CarlD, Apr 19, 2009.

1. CarlD

CarlD Well-Known Member

As some people have discovered, the scangauge will only find emissions-related DTCs set by the PCM or TCM when using the SCAN function. For the FEH, a common problem is the a/c blend door driver failure. This is a DTC of B1239 from the Traction Battery Control Module. There are other DTCs from the Power Steering Module and the ABS Module that don't register when using the SCAN function on the SG. The DTCs can be retrieved using xgauges, however. There are also non-emissions related DTCs from the PCM and TCM that won't show up with the SCAN function.

First is an xgauge to retrieve the quantity of stored or pending codes for each module. It is coded as follows:

TXD: 0745220200
    RXF: 046205020600
    RXD: 3008
    MTH: 000100010000
    NAM: SPC (or whatever you want)

If this shows 0, you can step through the various modules to see if any others are reporting DTCs. Change the 0745 in the TXD to the following:

0720 - Instrument cluster
    0730 - Power Steering Module
    0745 - Traction Battery Control Module
    0760 - ABS module
    0761 - 4WD module

If the BTC for the TBCM shows a non-zero number, then you retrieve the DTC with the following xgauge:

TXD: 07451800FF00
    RXF: 045810000000
    RXD: 2810
    MTH: 000100010000
    NAM: DTC

The DTCs will be coded per OBD-II specs. Again, for different modules change the first four digits of TXD to the number shown above for that module.

If you get a non-zero display, the first digit can be decoded as follows:

0 - P0
    1 - P1
    2 - P2
    3 - P3
    4 - C0
    5 - C1
    6 - C2
    7 - C3
    8 - B0
    9 - B1
    A - B2
    B - B3
    C - U0
    D - U1
    E - U2
    F - U3

So if you see 9239 displayed, the DTC is B1239. If two or more DTCs are present, the RXF changes to 055810000 and RXD changes to 3010 and you can only retrieve the first one and the first half of the second one.

To clear DTCs, change TXD to 074514FF00 and RXF to 045410000000 and you should see a value changing between 7Fxx and 54yy.
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2013
  2. mikelst

mikelst New Member

Thank you for this information. I was able to verify my SERVICE SOON issue thanks to this.

3. CarlD

CarlD Well-Known Member

Interesting timing. Today I got a STOP SAFELY NOW message and attendant shutdown. After going through the modules, the ABS module returned a coded DTC of E023, or U2023.

Edit: corrected the DTC decoding
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2010
  4. CarlD

CarlD Well-Known Member

And another ABS DTC today. SERVICE BRAKE SYSTEM in the message center and the ABS light on. The mode 0x18 request yielded 0x5175 which decodes to C1175, Wheel Speed Sensor LR Input Circuit Failure. Possibilities from the Shop Manual are opens/shorts, the wheel speed sensor or the ABS module. Hopefully not the ABS module......
  5. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi Carl:

___Are you going after codes the SG-II cannot resolve after a CEL or message appears?

___Secondly and more importantly, what was the outcome of the FEH’s ABS troubleshoot and repair?

___Good Luck

6. CarlD

CarlD Well-Known Member

Hi Wayne,

Yes, the mode 0x18 requests will retrieve the DTCs that the SCAN function won't. The only modules that seem to respond to the mode 0x03 requests are the PCM and TCM. There is a module at 07E2 that I think is the BCM OBD2 module, but it has never responded to a SCAN (mode 0x03) request. The battery, steering, ABS, 4WD and IC modules need the mode 0x18 requests to get their DTCs.

After going through the shop manual steps, nothing was found for the ABS DTC. Since I had one earlier for the ABS module, I suspect a loose connector or bad ground but I suppose it could be any random glitch or a decaying ABS module.

UPDATE: 12V battery failed this morning. After replacing it, more ABS module DTCs showed up. 5524 -> C1524 and 9318 -> B1318. C1524 is Brake Pedal Travel Sensor Calibration Incomplete; B1318 is Battery Voltage Low (duh!) At this point I am hoping the failing 12V battery was the cause of the DTCs because the ABS module lists for $4300 from Ford.
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2010
  7. CarlD

CarlD Well-Known Member

Well, I now have a dead in the driveway FEH. STOP SAFELY NOW, the red triangle of death and the check engine light. Amazingly, the SCAN on the SG still shows no DTCs! However, using the mode $18 method above I was able to retrieve many DTCs from the PCM, TCM, ABS and TBCM computers. P0A0A was set in both the TCM and TBCM. After going through the diagnosis procedure in the PC/ED manual, the result is .... install new HV battery. Will have it towed to the dealer this week and see what they say. 94k on the odometer means it should still be in warranty for the battery.

Interesting in that both SOC and max charge power read ZERO despite the HV battery reading 340V.
    Last edited: May 4, 2010
  8. Right Lane Cruiser

Right Lane Cruiser Penguin of Notagascar

Well that's not fun.

I suspect (Warning!! Uninformed opinion imminent!) the zero readings are part of the software protections locking out use of the HV battery.
  9. GaryG

GaryG Well-Known Member

Hi Carl

You may want to check those relays first because my '05 FEH PCM was reporting a bad HV battery also. You can just switch them around to check them because there all the same. Keep us informed at any rate.

10. CarlD

CarlD Well-Known Member

Good point about the relays. I forgot about those and that may be the problem. The failed 12V battery and all of the other DTCs that came and went recently could all just be symptoms of the $12 relays. I haven't had it towed in yet as I am out of town for three days.

For the diagnosis I followed the P0A0A HV Interlock steps in the diagnosis manual. This involved removing both the HV connector on the passenger side of the battery and the connector on the drivers side per the steps. The TCM HV interlock PID shows open and there is a 12V signal going into the HV battery on pin 14 but nothing coming out of the HV battery on the other connector. But hopefully all of this will be attributed to a failed relay. If it is I owe you a finder's fee since you had so much grief from Ford when it happened to you.:rolleyes:
  11. hobbit

hobbit He who posts articles

I wouldn't trust the SG to retrieve anything other than totally
    generic codes. Manufacturer-specific stuff tends to come up
    as P0000 in my prius, where a real scantool can actually read
    the real one and tell me which module says so.
  12. GaryG

GaryG Well-Known Member

Hi Hobbit

Trust me, Carl knows his stuff when it comes to the SGII and the Ford diagnosis tools. I've been around the block with Fords Hotline and the best Ford hybrid techs and I don't take Carl and his ability lightly with a SGII. Ford will most likely treat Carl like they did me to void the battery warranty by saying he reprogrammed the PCM with the SGII. Heavy stuff, but I don't do it and Carl has no need to do it either. Hopefully it's a relay like in my case.

13. CarlD

CarlD Well-Known Member

Well I replaced the relays one by one with a known good one and still the same. It must be the HV contactors inside the HV battery. If this is indeed the problem, I'm sure Ford will replace them instead of the entire HV battery assembly. I think initially when the shop manuals were written Ford didn't want anybody opening up the battery case for safety reasons but the harness recall took care of that rule. Since my voltage is showing 340V I suspect the cells themselves are fine.

As far as Hobbit's comment about the DTCs, that is true for the SG SCAN function as it just sends out a 7DF03 command and only OBD-II DTCs will come back for the FEH. But the mode $18 stuff I've done is giving me all of the DTCs that the FEH has set.

This picture shows the red triangle of death but nothing found from the SCAN function. The -Not Ready- is because I disconnected the 12V battery in the vain hope a reset would fix everything......

Last edited: Sep 12, 2012
  14. CarlD

CarlD Well-Known Member

Well, the FEH is back home and it wasn't the HV battery or even the contactors. It was (drum roll) the JACK! I have to give props to the dealer because they only charged $114 to have it diagnosed. Actually they diagnosed an intermittent short in the IFS circuit that was blowing F9, a 20A fuse. They wanted another $450 (3 hours labor) to isolate the short, although they said that was the maximum and it would probably take less time. I declined this and found the short in about 2 minutes once I got home. It turns out the jack was rubbing on the harness and exposed the wire connected to the Inertia Fuel Shutoff Switch and the High Voltage cutoff switch. A short to ground here would blow the 20A fuse and not allow power to the contactor control circuit inside the HV battery.

Shame on me for blindly following the PC/ED manual diagnosis instead of using common sense and checking all the fuses first. But a relief that it was nothing major.
  15. Right Lane Cruiser

Right Lane Cruiser Penguin of Notagascar

That's fantastic news, Carl!! I'm glad it was something less severe than we feared. :)
  16. GaryG

GaryG Well-Known Member

Great Carl!

These batteries are tough and Ford did a good job of protecting them. I've used my jack and replaced it in the bracket but I'm checking it again to make sure it's not rubbing against any wires.

This confirms again that DTC's are only one sign of the problem and you have to look at everything as a possibility of that problem. I would have never checked the fuses but you can bet I'll check them in the future if I have problems. I've also read from others that a simple lose ground can cause all kinds of problems in the FEH.

17. hobbit

hobbit He who posts articles

Oh, wow. That's not the first I've heard of badly designed
    jack storage causing problems in Fords. I think it might have
    even been the Escape but when they basically just fling it into
    one of the side wells without a good hold-down, any number of
    things can happen to other stuff in the same area.
  18. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi Carl:

Amazing story and an excellent diagnosis. A damn jack caused all of this??? Ford must have missed this one.

Would you mind if I sent this into some of the Ford Hybrid guys as they can jump on the production teams to get that jack relocated or isolated on the 10's. If the 10's have it in the same place? Gary, have they moved anything back there?

19. GaryG

GaryG Well-Known Member

Hi Wayne

Both my '05 and '09 Jacks are mounted from what I see, the same. The question is was the jack mounted back in the bracket after it was used or ever taken out in Carl's '05 FEH. Carl bought is '05 used and that bracket is a little tricky knowing how to remount the jack in it. After changing my spare with a flat I had on the road, I had dirty hands and it was too hot outside for me to put it back right. My jack stayed in the cargo area till that night when it was cool enough to mount it back in the bracket properly.

I can't see the wires Carl is talking about without removing the jack from the bracket. I remember Carl did buy a nav sys that comes from the factory and installed it but I don't know if he wired a subwoofer and equipment that's near the jack and bracket. Both my jacks are mounted tight so they don't move so I'm not worried about it moving around or anything. You know I take hard turns like you to keep my speed up and I don't need anything lose back there. That's how I had a chlorine bottle turn over in my '09 and damaged my back seats and entire carpet. I've had the seats repaired and had new carpet installed with a Husky cargo mat with sides to protect that area now.

20. CarlD

CarlD Well-Known Member

The jack has a plastic piece near the top that the lug wrench and the other tool snap into. On my FEH this plastic piece was gone and the two rods were laying down in the fender well. One of them was rubbing on the harness. As Gary said, if everything is properly placed there should be no problems. The jack does attach securely if replaced per the instructions, but haphazardly stuffing it back in can be problematic due to the close proximity of the inertial fuel shutoff switch/HV shutoff switch and attendant wiring.

I had never used the jack but apparently the previous owner had. I do think the wiring harness could be located more out of harm's way, though.