Dodge Caliber PHEV-40 Concept

Discussion in 'PHEV or Plug-in Hybrid Electric Vehicle' started by xcel, Apr 14, 2009.

1. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

[​IMG] Unlike yesterday’s H3 release, the compact powered by a UQM® System and Generator makes sense.

[xfloat=right]http://www.cleanmpg.com/photos/data/501/2007_Dodge_Caliber.jpg[/xfloat]Wayne Gerdes – CleanMPG – April 14, 2009

2009 Dodge Caliber PHEV-40 - 1.0L ICE, 75 kWh generator and 20kWh Li-Ion pack.

Frederick, CO. -- UQM Technologies, a developer of alternative energy technologies, announced an intent to reveal a Dodge Caliber-based PHEV-40 concept at the 2009 SAE World Congress next week. The PHEV was developed by FEV to demonstrate the company’s hybrid engineering.

Vehicle Propulsion Details

The PHEV propulsion system employs a 1.0L, 3-cylinder, 4-valve engine that is mated to a UQM® PowerPhase® 75 generator that provides 41kW of continuous power in extended-range mode, with a peak power of 75kW. The energy storage system consists of a 20 kWh, liquid-cooled Li-Ion battery pack that operates at 346V and a Delphi DC/DC converter. A UQM® PowerPhase®125 traction motor powers the wheels.

Performance stats
    • AER (All-Electric Range) of 40 miles
    • 0 - 60 mph time – 8.3 seconds
    • Top Speed – 84 mph
    “We are pleased that FEV has selected a UQM® propulsion system and generator for this concept vehicle. FEV and other vehicle integrators will play a substantial role in the development and commercialization of electric and hybrid electric vehicles for vehicle manufacturers worldwide over the coming years and we are looking forward to continuing to work with FEV on future vehicle platforms,” said William G. Rankin, UQM Technologies’ President and Chief Executive Officer.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 14, 2009
  2. JusBringIt

JusBringIt Be Inspired

I always thought the Caliber was ugly, but it's not looking too bad now...all it needs is the headlight/grille makeover and it would be an option. As long as I can get it with what's listed above in the drivetrain that is.

3. PaleMelanesian

PaleMelanesian Beat the System Staff Member

How much does it cost to get enough battery capacity in that thing? Its competitors are tweaked and refined for efficiency, and batteries are still a limiting factor. How much worse is it in this, with no optimizing?

4. Right Lane Cruiser

Right Lane Cruiser Penguin of Notagascar

Comparing pack size for the same distance is educational. The Volt is spec'd for a 16kWh pack. Of that, only 8kWh is actually used for propulsion -- the rest is used as a buffer and guard against damage due to DoD (Depth of Discharge). We don't know how this vehicle uses its 20kWh pack, but assuming a similar pattern wouldn't be unreasonable.

5. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi Andrew:

___22 kWh Li-Ion pack, $15K at a minimum and that is in quantity... Let alone the Caliber, the Inverter/Transverter, Electric Motor, new ICE and Controllers.

___If I did not know better, I would say it was a press release from Chrysler's own ENVI unit :rolleyes: ;)

___Good Luck

___Wayne

Last edited: Apr 14, 2009
  6. Chuck

Chuck just the messenger

Similar thoughts as the H3 EV - the vehicle's body is not the optimum for an EV, but Chrysler threw all their bets on guzzlers and they are doing good to have a budget to do concept vehicles at all.

7. mdensch@charter.net

mdensch@charter.net Well-Known Member

Even with an EV option, the car will still be ugly but at least it might make a little more sense. If they can scrape together the money to do so, they need to completely restyle this dog.

8. JusBringIt

JusBringIt Be Inspired

I was saying ugly in the sense of "unattractive," however they did a restyling that worked well on some models, not so well on others. This "Dog" however, needs a makeover...badly.

9. Blackbelt

Blackbelt Well-Known Member

Styling is subjective. I love the styling of the Caliber so much i bought one. On the other hand, i think the Fit and Accord are almost as ugly as an aztec.
    As they say, different strokes.....
    The 0-60 times of that car are rather speedy, certainly faster than any other Caliber(except the SRT4). Wonder if they could extend the range if they had it cranking out a little less performance. A 0-60 time of 10-12 seconds is more than sufficient.

10. JusBringIt

JusBringIt Be Inspired

Boy you are a first :D. No seriously, you are the only one I've ever met who likes the styling of the caliber fascia...now if it had taken some styling cues from the dodge demon...

11. Blackbelt

I love my Cali. It does a lot of everything quite well. I love the AWD, it gets good mileage and has been 100% trouble free. It is comfortable, roomy, and drives fantastic. I love the styling. I have no love for the generic bland and boring styling of most of the Japanese cars, especially Honda. I find the Toyota Camry hideous also. Great cars, but generic and boring and not for me. Thats why i own a smart, an xB, a Caliber, a Wrangler, and an 87 VW. Efficiency doesnt HAVE to be boring.
    The Caliber really does grow on you, and i love mine. Plus it has the best factory stereo i have ever heard.:)

12. vangonebuy

vangonebuy Well-Known Member

Why a Caliber?
    I drove a 07 while my minivan was awaiting parts. (backordered due to a strike)
    Steering wheels position is very uncomfortable.
    Road feel was numb.
    And the interior has all the character of a plastic garbage can. Fit and Finish is a shame.

I hoped for better.
    Strong motor though.
    ________
    Infant paxil

Last edited: Sep 14, 2011
  13. Blackbelt

Sounds like a base model. My R/T has great road feel, the tilt wheel positions the wheel comfortably, and the seats in mine are comfortable and high quality(although mine is the leather option, i do not know about the cloth seats). The quality of plastics used on the dash and door panels is crappy, i agree with you. I like the ergonomics, but some soft touch plastics would have been nice.