Hello from another new guy

Discussion in 'Start Your Journey Here' started by brick, Mar 8, 2006.

1. brick

brick Answers to "that guy."

Hi everybody! I've just happened upon this scene in the last few days, also registering at greenhybrid. I have been logging fuel consumption data religiously since I bought my new (used) non-hybrid Accord last summer. My driving style has always been somewhat efficient but I would like to step it up a bit and see what I can do to improve the LMPG from the current average of 30. So far I have done lots and lots of reading, and ordered a scangauge just for kicks.

I'm a relatively new mechanical engineer with a background in laboratory IC engine research. That involved some really interesting toys (optically accessible research engines, direct injection, huge lasers, etc.) but by no means makes me an expert. All that just "lit the fire," so to speak. As for paying the bills, I've been working in the nuke industry for about a year and 9 months now.

I'm really looking forward to following the conversation here and contributing whatever I can. The potential for record summer fuel prices ought to be good motivation to practice my driving technique as well!

Happy motoring

Tim

2. psyshack

psyshack He who posts articles

Welcome!!!

With fuel inching back up in price,, Im sure this and other sites will get busy. Reg. unleaded has went up .24 cents a gal. in the last week here.

psy

3. gonavy

gonavy Well-Known Member

A Nuke, with a non-hybrid Accord who wants to hypermile... sounds familiar.

I dub thee Xcel-lite.

Wayne, have you been recruiting on campus?

4. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi Tim:

___Welcome to CleanMPG!

___By your bio, I may as well have been reading an introduction of my own from a few years back! When you are ready to take the blue pill (or was it the red one ;)), we can see just how far that Accord of yours can run … You are going to be very very interested and extremely pleased with the results, I promise. Post some of your general questions in the FE forum or Accord specific questions in the Honda forum when you find the time. I will do my best to get that lmpg of yours pushing beyond 40 with a just a little coaxing, practice, and new technique(s) you may have never considered.

___GoNavy, :D

___Good Luck

___Wayne

5. brick

The more I read the more I believe that it can be done! I had an epiphany this morning about driving technique and the fact that I have probably been thinking about certain aspects the wrong way for years. No doubt you will see me posting in the FE and Accord sections looking for guidance. Thanks for the warm welcome!

6. Chuck

Chuck just the messenger

Welcome to CleanMPG!

7. philmcneal

philmcneal Has it been 10 years? Wow

an accord, now i think that will fare better for mpg than my car because it has torque.

8. xcel

Hi All:

___Well, I was a bit busy the last few days and at least have something to show for it.

[​IMG]

___05 Honda Accord EX-L w/ NAVI - maxxed FCD after 147 miles ... Issues with the way the NAVI boots up leave out a small distance after every reboot and overstates the actual FE depending on how many FAS's were performed over a given distance. In the case of this pic, I was pushing aggressive HS, LS P&G's, and FAS's in little to no traffic for ~ 1/3 of the RT segment and 2/3 heavy to stop and go traffic in and around the Chicago area. Trip out had a 10 mph headwind. Trip back included a 15 - 20 mph tail wind. Temps ranged from 39 - 47 degrees F. 60 + mpg is currently in the works but nothing near 100 mpg’s unfortunately :( E/T is ICE-ON time. I will give more exacting details on the Accord FCD’s multiple issues in high FE states in an all-encompassing 7th Gen Accord review yet to come.

___Brick, as posted above, that Accord can to do some serious damage to the EPA estimates if you really want it ;) Having a stick just means you have even more FE capability due to acceleration issues and solid lockup much earlier in the shift cycles then those of us w/ Auto’s in fact …

___Good Luck

___Wayne

9. Sledge

Sledge I like owls with captions

You missed the perfect pop-culture reference.

And I shall call him... Mini-Xcel.

[​IMG]

:D:D:D

10. Chuck

Chuck just the messenger

Yeah Baby!

11. xcel

Hi Sledge:

:D :D :D :D

___Good Luck

___Wayne

12. brick

Ha. I guess we'll have to see if I can learn the technique to achieve the good numbers. My current tank is looking good based on the unreliable "guess based on the fuel gauge" method but it will be a while yet before it's time to refill. (That's the idea, right? ;) )

As part of my quest to understand the physics of hypermiling, I have been spending some time deriving the equations that govern energy consumption in different circumstances. These are being put (slowly) into a spreasheet so that I can play with numbers to model the various ways of doing things. I have constant-velocity travel modeled fairly well and am working on a sheet that calculates energy consumption over a set distance while varying the initial rate of acceleration from zero. The long-term goal is to develop a tool that can cover a wide range of situations, allowing one to go through the "what ifs" on the desktop and expedite the process of learning what works best in the real world. It might not be terribly useful for accomplished hypermilers but it's a good exercise for a noob like me. If I get anywhere I'll find a way to distribute it for everyone to play with.

Tim

13. xcel

Hi Brick:

___I look forward to your analysis as there is always something to learn on the subject no matter the experience of the reader.

___And get rid of those Blizzak’s like yesterday ;)

___Good Luck

___Wayne

14. Sledge

Sledge I like owls with captions

The special rubber that make Blizzak's good on snow and ice is only on the top half of the tread. Once half the tread is used up, it's no better than an all-season tire.

I'd go for Nokian RSI's for a pure winter tire or Nokian WR's for an all-season tire with the severe snow service rating. I have WR's on my HCH2 and they extract no mileage penalty as compared to the Dunlop SP31's that came with the car. Great tires! :)

15. brick

Thanks for the tire recommendations. If I get really ambitious they might come off tomorrow (depends on time) and if not they will definitely be off by next week.

16. krousdb

krousdb Defiant NX-74205

How'd you to THAT!:eek: :eek: :eek:

17. tbaleno

tbaleno Well-Known Member

He must have been ICE off for a long time!

18. krousdb

krousdb Defiant NX-74205

Tom, tell the truth. Wayne made you push didn't he? I'll bet your handprints are on his trunk lid. And Eric's handprints too.

19. tigerhonaker

tigerhonaker Platinum Contributor

Better late than, Never. Sorry I missed you arrival a few day's ago. :)

Welcome to www.CleanMPG.com the "Ultimate Knowledge Based Factual FE Forum:" :D

You have just arrived at the right place at the right time in History.

Terry

20. brick

If the future looks the way I think it will look, then your statement is one of profound truth. In the long run it is likely that what we are doing here (or in my case attempting to do here) will prove to be of much greater importance than just saving a few bucks. More like a lot of bucks and an entire way of life. I just hope that this "unusual" style of driving will catch on and become commonplace while we can still have an impact. Unlike hybrid technology (for the moment), a change of habits can not fall victim to the argument that it costs more than it is worth.