I tried.

Discussion in 'General' started by drimportracing, Apr 2, 2009.

1. drimportracing

drimportracing Pizza driver: 61,000+ deliveries

Tonight I was at work and my manager said to take this order to the address and find Keith, she said that he would be working late, it was a little after 11PM, I get off at 12AM so this would be my last delivery probably. We were somewhat slow tonight.

So I grab the $50 worth of pizzas and check the address...I'm like no way!:woot: It's going to Hybrid Technologies in Mooresville, NC they were joined/bought by EV Innovations as it's now known. http://www.hybridtechnologies.com/ They are about a mile from my pizza place and I've been wanting to go there and put in an application to work there during the days and do pizzas at night but haven't gotten around to making a resume. So I'm excited to be able to have the excuse to see what they are doing and get a look around.

It's a clean shop, there is a Yaris, a Mini Cooper, a "Harley like" Chopper, some kind of truck bed with no body, the EVI prototype of their first all original production car, a couple more small cars, some guys welding and some guys working on the prototype, all of these cars and one bike are 100% electric.

I'm all smiles, It's like the first time you go to a strip club, I'm just happy to get in the door and I wanna touch everything!:Banane41: I don't.

I asked them if they were getting ready for the show and Keith said yeah the New York show, I told them I've been keeping up with them, told them how I knew they were hybrid technologies then EV Innovations and that that was the production car to be unveiled, I might of freaked them out but I was too much of a dork to care at the time. I told them that I get 42 delivering and 62 on the highway, one of the guys asked what I drove and I said a 3 cylinder metro, it's the best that I could do, since I don't have an electric. I wished them good luck, took my credit card receipt ($16.00 tip from Keith) thanked them and went back to the store.

I got off at 12AM went back to their shop and offered to help them get ready for the show, told them I was pretty handy with tools and stuff and said I had about 4 hours I could give them, told them I wanted to put in an application sometime when they weren't in a rush. Keith declined my help and said they've got it covered tonight. Wished them luck again and drove home somewhat disappointed that they didn't let some unknown pizza guy just come in and start wrenching on their showcase cars.:( I tried.

I've got to get my resume together. - Dale

Last edited: Apr 2, 2009
  2. SentraSE-R

SentraSE-R Pishtaco

Cool story, and a neat experience. I'll bet they'd have appreciated your help if they'd been farther behind in their preparation for the show. ;)

3. Right Lane Cruiser

Right Lane Cruiser Penguin of Notagascar

If I ever order a Yaris conversion from them, maybe you can keep an eye on it for me? ;)

4. bestmapman

bestmapman Fighting untruth and misinformation

Persistence is the most important thing in landing a job with them. Go back again.

5. Psion

Psion Hyper-Beginner

Angle the resume to the skills that would be most useful to them so they see you as an asset to the team.
    Good luck.

6. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi Dale:

___Every time I get the chance to walk around one of these “labs” (I have seen Ford’s up close and personal), I equate it to walking on hallowed ground and it gives me chills! I hope you enjoyed the experience and more importantly, I hope you get the chance to be one of those behind the scenes there too.

___I wrote them last year sometime requesting a test drive for a local CleanMPG’er and never received a reply. You have me thinking I should ask again and guess who I would request be the driver for a two to four day drive and review ;)

___Let me know if you are interested and I will try again!

___Good Luck

___Wayne

7. JusBringIt

JusBringIt Be Inspired

Wow Dale! Keep tryin you'll get it ;)

8. drimportracing

Re: I tried. Anyone want to help me on my resume?

I am satisfied with the changes and removed the resume draft from this post. Thanks again everyone. I'll keep you informed of my progress. - Dale

Last edited: Apr 4, 2009
  9. drimportracing

Wayne,
    That would be great. Let me interview with them first so they can put a name to a face. (in spite of my face :D) I've always done well with interviews. - Dale

10. JusBringIt

JusBringIt Be Inspired

After contact info, make sure to start the list using the MOST RELATED EXPERIENCE ;).

11. drimportracing

After leaving machine work I've been a pizza driver for the last ten years

So would I list them as this:

Pizza Hut and Papa Johns driver 1999-present
    Machinist company 1997-99
    National Guard 1993-95, Active Guard Reserve (AGR) 1995-97
    Machinist 1990-95
    Military 1986-90

- Dale

12. JusBringIt

JusBringIt Be Inspired

Yes, Be prepared to answer a few questions as to the profession choice you made ten years ago.

13. drimportracing

More take home money (about 3 dollars an hour more) and flexible hours with multitudes of locations to choose from. - Dale

14. JusBringIt

JusBringIt Be Inspired

MORE $$$ is good for the pocket.

As long as the interest and the prospect of this being an exciting career path is seen from you by this employer, that will give you quite an advantage.

15. Psion

Psion Hyper-Beginner

Keep in mind I'm in a professional scientific field, but I might model your resume as:

Objective: write this to let them know what you're after.
    Job Experience: The short list you had with years
    Related experience: Hit them with some brief details on your engine/mechanic work
    Hobbies
    References

If you can somewhat keep it to a single page, the better. You don't want to lose them having to read through too much. The main goal here is to get a call in where you can hit them with greater details.
    Impress them with the resume to get the call-in. I might leave your opinions and buttering of the company out, but you know the environment better than I. Play to that.

I saw they were looking for chemists. Maybe I should apply too. :)

16. drimportracing

I've edited my previous resume post to incorporate your suggestions. - Dale

Last edited: Apr 4, 2009
  17. Psion

Psion Hyper-Beginner

If you can shrink her down a bit.
    Also, i didn't really take notice before, but you probably don't want your ssn on there. No need in tempting fate.
    Your age is probably not needed as well.

18. JusBringIt

JusBringIt Be Inspired

I agree^^ Employers don't want to go through any more than they have to when going to a resume. Make it as short and to the point as possible.

19. JusBringIt

JusBringIt Be Inspired

You don't have to go into details about what exactly it is you did. They'll ask you those questions in the interview.

20. espace

espace Active Member

I read a lot of resumes, and have interviewed and hired a few people. I'm going through the process again right now.

My suggestions (please take with a grain of salt):
    List the most pertinent things first.
    List the most recent things first (for example, college before high school)
    We assume everyone went to elementary school, don't list it.
    Don't list your age (employers are specifically forbidden to ask)
    Be brief, but also be specific, just don't take more than two pages. If you did technical things in the military, state it.

Most important tip: Absolutely do list things you are passionate about! If you like wrenching, and modding your Metro to get crazy stupid mileage, say so! Even give a few metrics about how well you did. I can't think of anything more pertinent to the job you want than a passion for cars.

Best of luck!