smart fortwo keeps getting better

Discussion in 'Mercedes-Benz' started by Bill Marsh, Apr 1, 2009.

1. Bill Marsh

Bill Marsh New Member

I see that there hasn't been any activity here by smart owners in a couple of months, so I'll give it a try to re-start the conversation.

I bought a smart fortwo in January & have driven 4000 miles in just under 3 months. During the 1000 mile "break in" period, I averaged 35 mpg - pretty much what EPA said I should be getting.

Through the next 2000 miles, I averaged 38-39 mpg & was encouraged to see the improvement.

Since the temperatures began to warm up a few weeks ago, the mpg have jumped again. I've now been averaging 42 mpg for the last 1000 miles & hit a personal best of 45 mpg on my last fillup.

My other car is a Prius & I get about 44 mpg on that most of the year, but it dips to about 39 mpg in a New England winter. So, I'm optimistic that my smart will sustain the 42 mpg most of the year. Actually I'm secretly hoping that I continue to see improvement!

2. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi Bill:

___Welcome to CleanMPG and I am sure you will continue to see an improvement. While most of us would love to see the .8L CDI with a tall stick offered here in the US, the 1.0 you are driving sure does attract a lot of attention! If only realized it as far more comfortable than it looks, I believe Smart would sell even more...

___Did you receive an ECU flash (transmission update) that Smart was speaking about last month or is it still not available yet?

___Good Luck

___Wayne

3. deezle

deezle Well-Known Member

Bil, what is your ratio of city/hwy driving? I would expect your Prius would do best in town.

4. drimportracing

drimportracing Pizza driver: 61,000+ deliveries

Welcome Bill. Good luck on your mpg goals, put some air in them tires and get a scangauge. - Dale

5. Blackbelt

Blackbelt Well-Known Member

Welcome Bill.
    Don't you just love your smart?
    Your experiences are similar to mine. Mileage started out in the low 30's and has been increasing steadily. We got ours early Sept., and just turned 5K miles. Last few tanks have been around 41+. There is a fair amount of city stop and go on those tanks. Plus, my wife has been driving it primarily and does no hypermiling techniques(although i do have the tires at 44psi).

Wayne, If Bills smart is an 09, then he already has the updated transmission software. I have not yet received notification from smart to have my 08 updated, but others have started to get notifications. Not sure what their notification criteria is, but i am going to call my dealer and ask if they are doing it yet?
    Dave

6. smart-za

smart-za Well-Known Member

Hi Bill. Good job on the mileage. I think you'll find CleanMPG will only cause it to improve.

I hit 40mpg on my last tank - all city driving. Woo hoo! That's about a 7% improvement from two tanks back (when I joined).

Personal best was 50mpg on a long trip, a couple of years ago.

7. Blackbelt

Blackbelt Well-Known Member

NIce!
    My wife has been driving the smart for the most part. I can usually squeeze more MPG's out of a car than she does, due to my commute having more highway, plus i use more of the hypermiling techniques. I am going to try to get our smart up to 50.

8. Mike T

Mike T smart car dummy

Good work. Now that mine is on the (wide) summer tires again after an abnormally harsh winter, my FE should pick up and get over 60 MPG US lifetime again.

9. Mike T

Mike T smart car dummy

I just topped 120,000 km (75,000 miles) and it's all good....

10. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi Mike:

___I read about a Diesel bike conversion in Europe and they are using the .8L CDI right out of the Smart to do it. Prelim specs were something like 110 mpg at 55 mph and lots of performance IIRC!

___Darn you guys with that nice diesel in the Fortwo ;)

___Good Luck

___Wayne