Shell's nitrogen enriched gas vs Chevron Techron??

Discussion in 'Fuel Economy' started by taylormah, Mar 12, 2009.

1. taylormah

taylormah Active Member

I went to local auto store to ask for fuel system cleaning. They ask for $90. I know getting a professional cleaning is much better option, but for now, with no job, I am trying to save every penny that i can. So I decided to rather use Techron for now. While driving back, I saw the nitrogen enrchied gas banner flying over local Shell gas station. It seems like exact same stuff like Techron. I was already thinking of filling my next tank with Chevron's Techron enriched gas. Now shell has similar stuff. I bought a techron fuel cleaning liquid bottle already. Will add it to next gas tank. But on top I wanted to use a gas which has additives to further help the cleaning. Cant decide where to go now - shell or chevron. Can you please share your opinion.
  2. Kurz

Kurz Well-Known Member

How about changing your fuel filter in addition?
  3. Yaris Hilton

Yaris Hilton Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Quite likely the same amine detergents, or very similar.
  4. 99LeCouch

99LeCouch Well-Known Member

Either will do the job.

Add the Techron to half a tank to get a lot of bang for your buck. IIRC it says treats up to 20 gallons. If you add it to 5-10 gallons, that's at least double strength. At least to my way of thinking.
  5. warthog1984

warthog1984 Well-Known Member

Get an SUV sized bottle of fuel system cleaner, dump it in the tank (preferably with high test gas), and keep the engine working during the next tank.

It works great, but your "cleaning" tank will suffer.
  6. taylormah

taylormah Active Member

Can you please explain how?
  7. warthog1984

The cleaning process is simply removing/scouring built up carbon deposits. The best way to remove carbon besides scouring is chemicals (fuel cleaner) effectively combined with high heat (a "happy" right foot).

The higher the rpm and heat, short of toasting the engine, the better (think high speed interstate drives) . However, FE for carbon burnouts stinks.
  8. GardenWeasel

GardenWeasel Well-Known Member

Is any of this really necessary now days with the fuel that is on the market? I quit using these type of clearers in the late 1990's... I figured they were about as useful as putting STP (remember that?) into your oil. Can't hurt but does it really help?
  9. warthog1984

Yes, but...

Are they needed every tank/3000 miles? No. However, older cars or a car with a quenching problem can still get carbon buildup, which cleaners can treat.

FYI- bottled fuel system cleaners are basically highly concentrated versions of the basic gas detergent mixes.
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2009
  10. 99LeCouch

99LeCouch Well-Known Member

Not all gas is created equal. Some has lots of detergent, others enough to squeak by.

Some engines are sensitive to gas detergency, and a fuel system cleaner does help.

The "ultimate" fuel system cleaner I've heard about is Amsoil PI. People say it does exactly what it claims. And the claims are pretty lofty. YMMV.
  11. NiHaoMike

NiHaoMike Well-Known Member

I have read that water injection works well for removing carbon deposits. Might be something to try first.
  12. Kurz

Kurz Well-Known Member

That reminds me... I find it quite convenient that they choose to unveil this right before Summer gas comes out.
  13. jeffhanson1

jeffhanson1 New Member

Chevron Techron (Techroline) has long been considered the top cleaning additive in the industry. It remains to see if this Shell nitrogen is any better or at least matches Techron.

NOTE YOU HAVE TO GET PREMIUM GRADE TO GET HIGHER AMOUNTS OF NITROGEN CLEANER. That info is on Shell's own website. Chevron has the same level of cleaner in ALL grades.
  14. taylormah

taylormah Active Member

I went to local Walmart today and they said they do fuel injector's cleaning for $20. Seems like a good value. I will get this done and then add a bottle of techron on top.
  15. jhu

jhu Well-Known Member

How do you know if you need to clean out the fuel injectors?
  16. msirach

msirach Well-Known Member

Unless the vehicle has around a 100,000 miles or so, I would not consider paying extra for it and then it would not be at a gas station.
  17. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk 2010 Prius (CAN Touring) Staff Member

I suspect you never really need to do a cleaning regimen, and that it's not that effective. I do know from walking by a local place that does cleaning service: it pumps a lot of junk into the air.
  18. nervousmini

nervousmini Well-Known Member

I use fuel injection cleaning equipment in the shop I work at, and have seen allot of different ones over the years - most little more than snake oil at best. The new stuff I'm using is a product from 3M only available commercially and for use in this equipment set only - it seems to work rather well. I performed a FI service on a car that was going to have the cylinder head removed for my own curiosity, and while I couldn't inspect the injectors, you could practically eat off the combustion chamber after the service. IMO, it can be worthwhile to do the big service but maybe only every 75-100,000 miles.

For straight into the tank stuff, I think the best stuff I've ever seen was a product called BG 44k - tough to find and expensive but seems to really do a good job. But Techron is really great stuff too, I use it at work (its packaged for BMW and MINI but it's techron nonetheless).
  19. visionseeming

visionseeming Well-Known Member

How about acetone? I've heard it works well as a fuel injector cleaner, hence the supposed mileage gains it provides--at least for a first few tanks.

I was forced to fill up at Shell on Friday, because the Mobil that is 0.8 miles from my house ran out of gas. Now it will take a tank to get accurate mileage readings again. I had to increase my offset in my SG-II quite a bit. I'll see if this gas has any effect on FE. I just hope that my ECU does not learn to make the IAC idle at 900 RPM again. I'm tired of resetting it every tank.
  20. victorc64

victorc64 New Member

I'd go with Exxon or Shell. I get the best MPG with Exxon. the next is Shell. BUT, That is what I get. A friend of mine usesnothing but Gulf gas and he gets great MPG with that.