List of Flat Towable Cars

Discussion in 'Fuel Economy' started by indomania77, Mar 12, 2009.

1. indomania77

indomania77 Active Member

I found the site below in my search to see if my car is flat towable. I thought it might be useful for anyone who is also unsure. Go to the link and click on the "Dinghy Guide" on the right of the page that matches the year of your car. Hope this helps...
  2. Kacey Green

Kacey Green Well-Known Member

So then the new Fit is completely FASable according to this.
  3. ksstathead

ksstathead Moderator

Yes! I've pretty much treated my 08 AT Fit as FASable based on the restrictions in the manual for max speed and distance. But I don't FAS routinely due to its battery limits and the key start battery draw, especially at night.
  4. Boston Man

Boston Man Well-Known Member

Does flat towable mean it has to be towed on a flat bed?
  5. JusBringIt

JusBringIt Be Inspired

Flat-towable means it can be towed with all drive wheels on the road
  6. drimportracing

drimportracing Pizza driver: 61,000+ deliveries

Good find. Sticky post?
  7. kingcommute

kingcommute Hypermiling Apprentice

Interesting that most GM cars are flat towable........guess they planned on them needing to be towed alot! :p
  8. wolfematt11

wolfematt11 Member

9. voyager

voyager Member

Does anyone engine off coast a Ford Focus? The owners manual (at least for the 2001-2007 models) says that flat towing is fine for the manual transmission but also says not to turn off the engine while moving (especially at high speed) to "make sure the catalytic converter and other emission control components continue to work properly". Would it still be ok to EOC the manual transmission Focus?
  10. FSUspectra

FSUspectra Practicing true conservatism!

Absolutely, you can EOC that Focus to your heart's delight. And please do, as long as you are very familiar with the processa and are 100% comfortable with it. :)
  11. voyager

voyager Member

Ok, thanks. Bump starts should be okay too, right? It recommends against push starting in the owners manual (as well as in manuals for some other cars) in relation to the catalytic converter. It seemed like they were only talking about automatics but it wasn't clear.

And don't worry, I've practiced this stuff before and I'm really cautious when it comes to safety. I just don't know much about the mechanical side of things.
  12. MaxxMPG

MaxxMPG Hasta Lavista AAA-Vee Von't Be Bach

The note in the manual regarding engine off coasting refer to long periods of rolling with the engine off allowing the cylinder head and catalyst to cool to the point where it affects HC and CO levels when the car is restarted. The note regarding bump starting or push starting and the effect on the catalyst relate to potential misfire caused by not spinning the engine fast enough for it to 'start'. A misfire can dump fuel into the exhaust stream and overheat the catalyst. If your bump starts are smooth, with no engine stumbling, the risk is minimal.
  13. voyager

voyager Member

Thanks. Yeah, I sucked at the bump starts at first but I think I've got it down now.

Great forum - can't believe both my questions got answered so quickly.
  14. milburnr

milburnr Member

I tried doing FAS today in my 2006 Nissan Quest SE, when I shut off the engine (in N) before long glides at about 35mph, there was a bit of a lurch. I noticed this on 3 or 4 attempts, and decided I'd better ask about it before doing it anymore. Any ideas? It doesn't seem to appear on this list, but then, why would someone tow a minivan??
  15. FSUspectra

FSUspectra Practicing true conservatism!

I probably wouldn't do it in your van, except for the very slow crawls to a red light (from less than 15 mph or so) and may not do it at all. Others will likely chime in, but I think your best best would be to stick with NICE-on coasts and only shut down the ICE at a stop or very near it.
  16. MaxxMPG

MaxxMPG Hasta Lavista AAA-Vee Von't Be Bach

I don't know of any Nissans that are flat towable. The risk involved is usually excessive wear in the bushings because they run dry when the fluid pump isn't keeping the fluid circulating.
    The lurch shouldn't happen when cutting the engine, but it is possible that it could have a brain fart after restarting the engine and shifting back to D.
    Unless the manual specifically states, in the Recreational Towing section, that the van can be flat-towed (all four wheels on the ground), cutting the engine at speed is off limits.
  17. milburnr

milburnr Member

Thanks guys, that was kinda my conclusion too. I did manage to get 27mpg over about 8 miles, doing NICE-on coasts about half the time. The normal 16.7mpg in city is just terribly painful, now that I am getting 40+ city with the HSH... not worth killing the transmission or something though...
  18. Beepa

Beepa New Member

New to the site. So where is the list??? Also, there are new terms (to me) like "EOC", "engine of coast" & "FASable"? Sorry for the newbie questions. :confused:
  19. ALS

ALS Super Moderator Staff Member

Welcome to the board Beepa it looks like the original link is dead.
  20. EdwinTheMagnificent

EdwinTheMagnificent Legend In His Mind

Beepa , you can find the glossary by looking at the blue menu at your upper left. This should explain a lot of these terms.