Aeroscraft dwarfs the largest commercial airliners

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by abcdpeterson, Mar 7, 2009.

1. abcdpeterson

abcdpeterson Well-Known Member

Received one of those emails you know just can’t be true.
    This one, to my surprise, is true. well it IS being developed. :eek:

http://www.aeroscraft.com/

2. hobbit

hobbit He who posts articles

Dead domain, goes to Netsol. Did you type it in right?
    _H*

3. seftonm

seftonm Veteran Staff Member

It works for me.

4. Chuck

Chuck just the messenger

If I were a passenger, I'd be playing Led Zepplin. :D

5. Tochatihu

Tochatihu Well-Known Member

Ah, I love wiki. Helium was 'discovered' in spectra obtained udring a solar eclipse in 1868. About 40 years later it was discovered on earth and has been used for cryogenics and party balloons since.

Now, we are pumping out about 16 X 10^10 liters per year from oil wells. It is produced by the decay of several heavy radioisotopes in the earth, but if not trapped by the geology that also traps oil, it gets lost to space.

The earth's annual production is notably less (says wiki), about 3.4 X 10^10 liters per year. So it might be said that we are over-mining it at present.

Enter Moby, above. This site

http://www.iacac.com/pallet-oct08.pdf

says a full load of helium is 14 million cubic feet, but I cannot agree. The whole thing would fit in a 210 x 118 x 56 foot box; just under 1.4 million cubic feet. So this is an order-of-magniture error at least.

I suppose its He volume is closer to 1 x10^8 liters. So the current global He extraction could fill a thousand Mobies per year, with a little left over for superconducting magnets, other science, and clowns. If we compare to to the earth's rate of He production, over the long term we might not be able to tank up quite that many Mobies.

Now, I have to ask if they leak, or if one tank of He is good for the life of the airframe?

Overall it is hard to belive that we have enough He to revolutionize global cargo transport in this way. But it would be fun to have a few of them floating around.

DAS

6. fuzzy

fuzzy Mild hypermiler

The 14 million cubic feet is for a larger model, 647 x 244 x 165 feet.

The pictured unit looks the same shape the smaller model, but compared to the MD-80s/90s parked in front of it, cannot have the smaller dimensions. The planes are 130-152 feet long, 29.5-30.5 feet tall at the tail, and considerably closer to the 'camera' viewpoint.

Whether or not the illustrator drew to a realistic size ...

7. drimportracing

drimportracing Pizza driver: 61,000+ deliveries

That reminds me what happened to the "Freedom Ship"? - Dale

8. SlowHands

SlowHands Hypermiling Ironman

At their website one of the front view pics reminds me of the Raver's ship from Firefly..

9. Tochatihu

Tochatihu Well-Known Member

In the long term, oil wells may be repurposed as the places we get the helium crucial for a lighter-than-air transportation fleet.

Too science-fictiony?

DAS

10. hobbit

hobbit He who posts articles

Nah, just very steampunk.
    _H*

11. WriConsult

WriConsult Super Moderator

Too bad if helium is truly that limited in supply. Dirigible-like vehicles seem like the obvious solution for long-distance transport as fuel supplies and global warning concerns become more critical.

12. Doofus McFancyPants

Doofus McFancyPants Well-Known Member

Perfect!!!

Now with my fleet of lighter-than-air ships, i can begin my take-over of the WORLD !! MMUUUHAHAHAHA. I wonder if i can have a Shark Tank installed? Maybe a trap door to drop my "guests" out into the ocean. Can i get a mini landing pad on the roof for quick trips from the Airship to my Volcano-Island-Hideout?

I CANNOT FAIL !!!! As long as Batman does not stop me first.

Doofus McFancypants - Airship SuperVillan

: )

13. NiHaoMike

NiHaoMike Well-Known Member

Then what about hydrogen? (Yes, it's possible to make it safe.)

14. basjoos

basjoos Well-Known Member

Although the Aeroscraft may dwarf most airliners with a length of 210', 56' to 115' diameter (the Airbus A380 is 238' long, 261' wingspan), it is itself dwarfed by the Hindenburg-class zeppelins which were 801' long, 130' diameter. The Aeroscraft has one deck of accomodations, the Hindenberg had 2 decks of accomodations. If Aeroscraft is successful, maybe future models will match or surpass the size of the giants of the past.

15. PILL

PILL Well-Known Member

The big deal is how fast it can go and how efficiently.