2010 Prius raises the gas-electric hybrid bar

Discussion in 'Toyota Prius Family' started by Right Lane Cruiser, Mar 2, 2009.

1. Right Lane Cruiser

Right Lane Cruiser Penguin of Notagascar

[​IMG] With added mileage and new technology, Toyota is prepared to trump Honda Insight.

[XFLOAT=LEFT]http://www.cleanmpg.com/photos/data/501/074_2010_Prius.jpg[/XFLOAT]Scott Burgess - The Detroit News - Mar. 2, 2009

2010 Toyota Prius-III - ~ $25,000 to start and 50 mpgUS combined on the 08 EPA.

This is going to be one very exciting year for hybrid technology! -- Ed.

YOUNTVILLE, CA. -- The 2010 Toyota Prius will be the highest mileage retail vehicle available in the U.S. when it goes on sale in April, Toyota Motor Corp. said today.

The third-generation Prius will get 49 miles per gallon on the highway and 50 mpg in the city, for a combined average of 50 mpg, according to EPA testing, said Bob Carter, vice president and general manager of Toyota Motor Sales.

"When the Prius arrives it will face two challenges," Carter said. "The economy and the Honda Insight."

Toyota, at least, believes it can handle Honda.

"Initially, there may be some cross shopping between the two vehicles but we think that will end quickly," said Doug Coleman, Prius marketing manager, "They are two very distinctly different vehicles and customers will pick one or the other."

Honda Motor Co., which is launching a similar shaped gas-electric hybrid vehicle this spring, will offer a smaller and less expensive vehicle compared with the new Prius.

Carter said Toyota believes there will be enough room in the market for both vehicles, suggesting that the Prius could capture 7 percent of the midsize segment and Honda could take 5 percent of the compact segment.

"We expect to sell about 100,000 units in 2009 and 180,000 during the first calendar year," he said.

Ed Kim, an industry analyst for AutoPacific Inc., said Toyota should be able to reach those goals, even with the economic downturn, which has seen... [RM]http://detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20090302/AUTO01/903020345[/RM]

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 2, 2009
  2. Mike78

Mike78 Well-Known Member

I see Honda mentioned throughout the article as a competitor to the Prius, yet the author never revealed any stats of the Insight, such as comparing cargo space, mpg, engine size, etc. to those of the Prius.

3. ALS

ALS Super Moderator Staff Member

The Prius and Insight are two very different cars. One is an entry level vehicle and the other is an established midsize. I think they were right in the article that the decision between the two cars of which to purchase will occur quickly.

4. Mike78

Mike78 Well-Known Member

Exactly what I was trying to get at. They said it's obvious, but never really said why. I just wish as a reader they would have expanded on the differences since they chose to mention them indirectly.