What is the weapon of choice for the Atlanta grind?

Discussion in 'Start Your Journey Here' started by scott3294, Feb 25, 2009.

1. scott3294

scott3294 Member

Hi Everyone,
    Brand new to the forum and only about a six month veteran of the nasty Atlanta commute. I drive about 30 miles each way in 6 lane wide traffic that ranges from parking lot to 10 mph stop and go to 75 mph dodge the semis driving at 7 am and 6 pm.
    I have a great opportunity to buy a new (new to me) vehicle and I have about 16k to spend...so have been thinking of getting a hybrid. I am the first to say...I know very little other than what I have read here the past two days.
    So...to all the experts :), what FEV is best suited for this type of hellish environment?
    Thanks, I'll hang up know and listen to your responses.
    Scott

2. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi Scott:

___A few more details as to your commute. What distance is spent in the stop and crawls vs. the wide open Interstate?

___There are some good hypermilers doing the Atlanta suburb to city commute that own HCH's and they are running 55 in the far right lane most days with 60 + lmpg's. In the stop and crawls however, the weapon of choice is without a doubt, the mighty Prius as there is nothing that can touch it in those kinds of conditions.

___Used HCH-I's and II's and Prius-II's are available within your price target so that should get you started.

___Good Luck

___Wayne

3. scott3294

scott3294 Member

Thanks Wayne,
    Most days are run at 45 mph to 65 mph for the majority of the trek, but I would estimate that 20% of a day's travel is in the stop and go (some days more and some days less.
    Of the 30 mile commute 95% is on the interstate. (575 and 75).
    Also, my weekend around town driving is in very hilly conditions...not much flat land up north of ATL.
    Thanks
    Scott

Last edited: Feb 25, 2009