Honda introduces an Ultra Green Motor Oil

Discussion in 'In the News' started by xcel, Feb 10, 2009.

1. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

During the evening searches, an all-new manufacturer spec’ed or produced oil appears to beat the industry leading Mobil1 0W-20.

[xfloat=left]http://www.cleanmpg.com/photos/data/501/Honda_Ultra_Green_Oil_Container.jpg[/xfloat]Wayne Gerdes – CleanMPG – Feb. 10, 2009

Honda's new Ultra Green Oil.

Honda has not only taken extraordinary measures to reduce frictional losses within their hybrid automobile engines but has now developed and introduced an ultra-low viscosity Ultra Green Motor Oil in order to improve their vehicles environmental performance.

The all-new Ultra Green oil appears to have similar or lower kinematic viscosity than the current market leader, Mobil1 0W-20.

Design goals for the new oil were to improve fuel economy first and foremost while at the same time providing higher durability and, for the first time, meeting every international oil standard.

A tall order and oil we look forward to testing this oil in the near future.

Source -- Honda News Japan.

Temperature vs. Viscosity of generic weight oils and Honda’s Ultra Green

[​IMG]

Kinematic Viscosity performance of common lighter weight oils today

Mobil1 SAE 0W-20 synthetic: Kinematic Viscosity @ 100°C, cSt (ASTM D-445): 8.4
    Mobil1 SAE 0W-20 synthetic: Kinematic Viscosity @ 40°C, cSt (ASTM D-445): 43

Pennzoil SAE 0W-20 synthetic: Kinematic Viscosity @ 100°C, cSt (ASTM D-445): 8.7
    Pennzoil SAE 0W-20 synthetic: Kinematic Viscosity @ 40°C, cSt (ASTM D-445): 46.5

Mobil1 SAE 5W-20 synthetic: Kinematic Viscosity @ 100°C, cSt (ASTM D-445): 8.8
    Mobil1 SAE 5W-20 synthetic: Kinematic Viscosity @ 40°C, cSt (ASTM D-445): 48.3

Amsoil SAE 0W-20 synthetic: Kinematic Viscosity @ 100°C, cSt (ASTM D-445): 9.0
    Amsoil SAE 0W-20 synthetic: Kinematic Viscosity @ 40°C, cSt (ASTM D-445): 49.1

Amsoil SAE 0W-30 synthetic: Kinematic Viscosity @ 100°C, cSt (ASTM D-445): 11.2
    Amsoil SAE 0W-30 synthetic: Kinematic Viscosity @ 40°C, cSt (ASTM D-445): 56.9

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 10, 2009
  2. Wayne, I'm not sure that your data is current for the viscosity specs of M1 and Pennzoil Platinum 0w-20. Platinum is lower than M1 these days. Here is the data from their respective websites as of this morning (2009-02-10):

Mobil1 SAE 0W-20 synthetic: Kinematic Viscosity @ 100°C, cSt (ASTM D-445): 8.6
    Mobil1 SAE 0W-20 synthetic: Kinematic Viscosity @ 40°C, cSt (ASTM D-445): 45.5
    Source: http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lubes/PDS/GLXXENPVLMOMobil_1_0W-20_Advanced_Fuel_Economy.asp

Pennzoil SAE 0W-20 synthetic: Kinematic Viscosity @ 100°C, cSt (ASTM D-445): 8.43
    Pennzoil SAE 0W-20 synthetic: Kinematic Viscosity @ 40°C, cSt (ASTM D-445): 44.2
    Source: http://www.pzlqs.com/Tech/Pdsheet/DomesticMarketing/EngineOils/Pdf/PlatinumFullSyntheticMotorOil.pdf

Amsoil SAE 0W-20 synthetic: Kinematic Viscosity @ 100°C, cSt (ASTM D-445): 9.0
    Amsoil SAE 0W-20 synthetic: Kinematic Viscosity @ 40°C, cSt (ASTM D-445): 49.1
    Source: http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/asm.aspx

Regardless, do you have viscosity numbers for the new Honda 0w-20?

Cheers,
    Bryan

3. lightfoot

lightfoot Reformed speeder

I was wondering the same thing. Reading from the graph is a bit difficult because it isn't absolutely clear which number on the ordinate refers to which tick mark. Taking the lowest tick mark as 10 gives a 100 degC reading of about 8, which is in line with the other oils.

Estimating where 40 degF is gives a viscosity of between 10 and 20, which is surprisingly lower than the other oils, which are in the 40's.

When they are available, the actual numbers for the new oil would help.

Great find; I'm eager to try this new stuff if the numbers check out.

4. Right Lane Cruiser

Right Lane Cruiser Penguin of Notagascar

Me too if that low temp viscosity is that much better... because it gets a wee bit nippy up here, doncha know? ;)

5. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi Bryan:

___Thanks for the update as I pulled my numbers from a crib sheet I keep that is about 12-months behind. And I still have 10 quarrts of the older "Good Stuff" Mobil1 0W-20 too :)

___As for this new oil, I had to convert the the two paragraph writeup from Japanese and it was just a blog vs. a real honest to goodness tech sheet. For all I know, this could be snake oil and the lettering spells out aa bunch of American swear words ???

___Good Luck

___Wayne

Last edited: Feb 10, 2009
  6. Earthling

Earthling Trying to be kind to Mother Earth

Honda is very fussy about it's lubricants. I use only Honda gear oil in my '98 Civic 5-speed manual gearbox, and only Honda fluid in my '99 Civic automatic transmission.

Harry