Welcome to CleanMPG Primer

Discussion in 'Start Your Journey Here' started by msirach, Feb 9, 2009.

1. msirach

msirach Well-Known Member

Primer to CleanMPG

I would like to extend a warm welcome to all new and prospective members of CleanMPG. Whatever your reason for hypermiling, whether it is raising your fuel economy, lowering your costs and emissions, reducing foreign oil imports, or simply trying to lower your blood pressure while driving, we are here to help.

Hypermiling is a term coined by Wayne Gerdes (xcel) and was recognized by Oxford University Press as their 2008 Word of the Year.

All new and prospective members should read Beating the EPA - The Why's and How's to Hypermile , which is an excellent article authored by Wayne Gerdes describing the EPA mileage tests, how hypermiling can allow everyone to beat the EPA estimates, and many hypermiling techniques in detail. There are many members that will testify as to the effectiveness of this method of driving.

The ScanGaugeII is an extremely compact automotive computer designed to read and display information about your vehicle in real time. One of the many benefits of membership here is the qualification to be part of a group buy which can add custom programming for your particular vehicle as well as other perks. It can be purchased on the CleanMPG Homepage or directly through Linear Logic's website.

Other excellent articles related to hypermiling include Driving Under Pressure, an excellent article authored by Sgt. Dave Storton posted on Officer.com, detailing why higher tire pressure is not only safe, but could indeed save your life.

Although drafting is discussed at times, it is not endorsed or condoned by CleanMPG. Please stay a minimum three car lengths away from a semi or observe the illustrated “No Zone” placard placed on the rear doors of many semi tractor- trailers.

To help you get around CleanMPG itself, we have several excellent articles on hand.

Should the server ever be busy, Dan has made a thread: How To - The server is too busy at the moment. Please try again later., detailing how we can all survive these down-times.

Fanamingo has created a very good post showing how to link your mileage log to your signature: How To - Link your Mileage Log to your Signature.

Also, here is how to upload pictures to the CleanMPG Gallery: Upload Pictures.

If you're in the market for a new fuel efficient car: The 10 most fuel-efficient new automobiles available in America.
    We have an excellent general guide to buying used fuel-efficient vehicles: What if you cannot afford a “new” fuel efficient automobile?

We have many detailed articles that members have written on how to hypermile specific vehicles.

2000-2003 Toyota Prius
    2004-2009 Toyota Prius
    2006-present Honda Civic Hybrid
    Ford Escape Hybrid
    2010 Toyota Prius-III Revealed... new details
    CleanMPG Previews the 2010 Honda Insight-II

If you have ANY questions, please feel free to ask. Someone once said, “The only foolish question is the one not asked.” The administrators and moderators strive to keep CleanMPG a family friendly community. If you have an issue with treatment or content, please contact one of us directly by PM or email.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 27, 2011
  2. alacson

alacson New Member

I now own a 2009--HCH(Spectrum Pearl White) for the last 3 weeks. My previous car was a 2003-HCH(taffeta white) which I got in June of 2002 and was involved in what I thought was a minor accident involving 3 other cars. The repair cost was more than 70% of its value, so insurance has to declare it as "totaled". Anyway, my question is can the 2009-HCH's "Auto Stop" feature be turned off? On my 2003, it can. Thanks

3. Right Lane Cruiser

Right Lane Cruiser Penguin of Notagascar

Sure. Crank up the AC or the heat (depending up on the outside temperature).

Why would you want to do such a thing?

4. rkitamata

rkitamata New Member

Hi Everyone! I have been a member of InsightCentral.net since I first purchased my Honda Insight in 2001! But when my IMA light when on last month, I have not been able to find as much IMA Battery warranty information until finding your great website. I have printed out the Honda Bulletin 06-026 so generously provided by "Right Lane Cruiser", and I will talk to my Honda dealer about this matter this week! Thanks for all the help so far. I will read on. . . and I will keep everyone who's interested, posted.

Best regards, rkitamata
    2000 Honda Insight Silverstone MT

5. msirach

Welcome to CleanMPG! Hang around and let us know your results!

6. Right Lane Cruiser

A warm welcome from me as well, RKitamata! I'm glad you found the information useful and I hope that your experience getting the battery replaced is as painless as mine was last fall. :)

7. Chuck

Chuck just the messenger

What's the code?

If it's the battery pack, it's easier to resolve than a problem with the IMA major hardware (at least for awhile).

8. curt0721

curt0721 New Member

I would like to say hello to all the many people who have contributed to make this site a very useful source of information for me, new to the hybrid and hypermiling world. I just purchased a 2008 Toyota Prius with 15k miles and so far at 200 miles I am getting about 48 mpg on my work commute and one extended drive. I am utilizing several of the hypermiling techniques I have learned here and this stuff works. Of cours3, I have much yet to learn. My next tank will be based upon 40 psi tire pressure to see what difference that makes.
    Also, does anyone have any data regarding differences in fuel? I will be using only 87 octane, the cheapest, but my experence with other conventional vehicles indicates that I may get improved mileage from the Shell product. Comments please. FYI, I recently achieved over 70 mpg on the interstate over a 40 mile route by holding a steady gas peddle at 60 mph, slowing to about 55 on the overpasses, windows closed, no A/C, three people in the car. Is this the norm? I use the pulse and coast technique and am surprised how little the gas engine runs below 40 mph.
    Thanks in advance for your comments,
    Curt0721

9. Right Lane Cruiser

Welcome, Curt! We are glad to have you here. :)

It certainly sounds like you are off to an excellent start in your new Prius! 48mpg will soon seem low to you with more experience. ;)

70mpg is doable if you were on a downslope? Did you have slower segments at the start and end to pull your average up? Most achieve roughly 60mpg at 60mph in your model.

Many people swear by Shell, though I don't use it myself.

10. curt0721

curt0721 New Member

Sean,
    Thanks for the reply. Yes, there were slower segments getting on the freeway and off. but I did achieve a constant 70 mpg on the freeway in both directions over relatively flat terrain. Yes, lots to learn yet.
    Curt

11. msirach

Welcome To CleanMPG.

Good Luck with the Prius! You are in the learning development stage of hypermiling now. Once you learn what the car is doing, it will be much easier to achieve greater numbers. Consider getting a Scangauge if you don't have one. Toyota left one critical gauge off, RPM. With the Scangauge, you can monitor the different stages of the Prius by watching prameters such as LOD, IGN, RPM.

The tire psi will be an immediate improvement as well as extend the life of them. Do you have the Goodyear?

Good Luck!

12. chuckg

chuckg New Member

I'm a newbie to this site and hypermiling but just purchased a 2010 Escape Hybrid. Second tank of gas, got 34 mpg, mostly hiway but have applied hybrid tips to my driving and expect better results once breakin is over. Driving this vehicle and applying tips on mileage that I have seen on the web has made driving pleasurable once again

13. Right Lane Cruiser

Welcome, Chuck! You have a fantastic vehicle for squeezing the numbers out and I have no doubt you'll be happy with your purchase for quite some time to come. :)

14. curt0721

curt0721 New Member

Yes, Goodyear Integrity OEM's. I read that there is a Michelin that is better for mileage so will go with that for replacement.
    Thanks,
    Curt

15. sidfreak

sidfreak Well-Known Member

Hi folks,

Just got my new 2010 Honda Insight. I'm on my second tank of fuel. Got 55 mpg on the first and upped that to about 59 so far on the second. Hoping with a bit more experience i can boost that even more. I luv all the imput i get from my display. It really keeps my eyes on the prize. Thanx for a killer sight. :flag:

16. Right Lane Cruiser

Welcome to the site, Sid!!! We are glad to have you and you've picked an awesome vehicle to lower your fuel consumption. :flag:

17. jimepting

jimepting Well-Known Member

Welcome indeed. Those initial FE number are great. I just know that you will continue to improve:D

I may try one day to get a test drive in a new Insight. But I'm still very much in love with my first gen Insight.

18. msirach

Welcome To CleanMPG! WoW! Your MPG is one of the best straight off the lot. It takes many several tanks to get the average up there!

19. robert

robert Inventor

Greetings to the staff, and members of this forum,
    I like the effort being put forth by people to lessen fossil fuel useage.
    Many years ago...Ford tested a carburetor (early 1980's) that showed over 200 mpg with a V-8....and then shelved it.
    EFI does not have the programming to allow this to happen.
    It is possible...I have duplicated this myself....more than once.
    That was under Ford controlled conditions no doubt.
    Recently, many strides of achieving 100 mpg has been proven in many places, which is fantastic.
    I designed the system so that it is adaptable to any internal combustion engine.
    As the patent attornies have assured me, after a historical search, what I have accomplished is considered a new field of study concerning the internal combustion engine thermal efficiencies.
    My co-inventors name is Nathan Rogers...without his "mistakenly buying the wrong part"...
    This technology would not have existed as quickly as it has progressed.
    That part was declared impossible to use...by a NASA scientist...and a Professor of electronic engineering and design..both have published apologies, on the internet recanting their previous statements of "impossibility of functions."

That means I am the "Founder/Father" of a new technology...that does not break the laws of physics...but it does re-arrange them, in manners not previously known.

Applying new technology to old components eliminates most of the programming of computers use today to maintain efficiencies.

Consider this a public notice of sorts, that this does exist, and public awareness is why I post.
    The Papp-Noble/Inert gas Engine was demonstarted to me in early 1980's...I am one of the few people that actually saw, in person, the operating engine in Oklahoma, USA.
    That required a private invitation from Josepf Papp himself...who told me, that as great as his invention was...the nuclear developement movement was never going to allow his technology to be developed.
    We are going through another phase of nuclear developement...to supply the electrical needs for power consumption.
    Exactly like Papp, historically speaking, I am in the same situation...as this new technology competes with the nuclear funding already ear marked to progress forward.
    That cannot be stopped...I am realistic about such political matters.
    What Josepf Papp told me, is that I would, someday, find a safer management system of such energy efficiencies that the people could understand and learn that would compete equally or beat the nuclear power plant issues.
    As a man in my early twenties, then, I thought he was fluffing me for funding, he never asked me for a dime.
    Those words have haunted me for 3 decades...never really thought I was smart enough to accomplish defining a new technology comparable to the only man, I know, that could absolutely control atomic energy and not have all the harmful side effects.
    That day has come, the historical impact is happening now...today.

As a backyard scientist, what I have discovered/invented, would never have been discovered by good, great, superior mechanics... am not a motorhead...beyond simple tuning and regular maintenance... I let the experts do it...money wise.

The people in Washington, DC, have been given notice, by me, that if my technology is not put into use, within my time line, the information is located in 70 places around the world and upon any accident, demise, or such nonsense...the information will be released globally.
    That being stated, I have taken these measures to insure public awareness, via this forum, and other forums, to make a recorded message that can be printed off and kept.

The will become historically, always, known as "The Hull Effect".
    Keep up the good work, and I will do the same.

Sincerely,
    Robert W Hull, Inventor, Chief Technology Officer

20. msirach

Welcome to CleanMPG Robert! Keep us posted of any results.