Toyota Jumping to Deliver a few PHEV's late this year

Discussion in 'PHEV or Plug-in Hybrid Electric Vehicle' started by Chuck, Jan 13, 2009.

1. Chuck

Chuck just the messenger

While out in limited quanities, they would be in the US a full year ahead of the GM Volt.

[xfloat=right]http://www.cleanmpg.com/photos/data/590/Prius-II_OEM_PHEV_Drivers_Side_Profile.jpg[/xfloat]Micheline Maynard - New York Times – Jan 11, 2009

Taking the thunder out of the Volt? -- Ed.

Toyota plans to introduce its plug-in hybrid electric vehicle late this year, a year earlier than originally planned, and a year ahead of the Chevrolet Volt.

James Lentz, the president of Toyota Motor Sales U.S.A., said in an interview that Toyota planned initially to make about 500 plug-in hybrids, which would be made available first to commercial customers. About 150 plug-ins will be scheduled for customers in the United States, Mr. Lentz said.

His comments came at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit, which was opened to the press on Sunday...[rm]http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/12/automobiles/autoshow/12toyota.html[/rm]

2. flatty

flatty Member

150?

(Isn't that fewer than Hymotion has produced?)

3. jkp1187

jkp1187 Well-Known Member

When I heard this news, and how Toyota had stolen GM's thunder, I imagined a tear rolling down the cheek of Rick Wagoner. Kind of like.....this.

4. msirach

msirach Well-Known Member

5. WriConsult

WriConsult Super Moderator

A full year ahead of the Volt ... assuming (1) GM is still in business a year from now, (2) has the financial resources to fully develop the Volt and (3) stays on schedule.

6. flatty

flatty Member

There is no question that the Toyota's American sales and marketing teams have done well for their Japanese masters.

7. jsmithy

jsmithy Well-Known Member

150 cars isn't stealing anyone's thunder.

8. Chuck

Chuck just the messenger

Granted it's nothing from a sales standpoint, but from a propaganda standpoint, could be significant.

9. msirach

msirach Well-Known Member

150 isn't correct. Stay tuned for more details.....

My money is on Toyota being the 1st in the USA.

10. Indigo

Indigo Witch with wry sense of humor

Until PHEVs are generally available *and* affordable, the whole shooting match is nothing but propaganda. I was thrilled about the idea of a $30k Volt, but a $52k Volt is a yawn. Considering that the Prius-III is going to be a $35k blingmobile, I don't see the PHEV version going for less than $50k either. Yawn.

What I'd me more interested in would be Toyota announcing a new entry-level hybrid in the sub$25k range now that the Prius has been re-engineered as a luxury car.

11. Chuck

Chuck just the messenger

It's probably like a lot of other products - the price is not going down until it's mass-produced. Believe it was mentioned they would be hand-made.

12. jkp1187

jkp1187 Well-Known Member

And, let's be honest, GM was really pushing the propaganda angle (hey look - we're the first to have a real plug in!) of the Volt from day one.

13. PVaultGuy

PVaultGuy Member

I think that is known as the Honda Insight II, no?

14. Indigo

Indigo Witch with wry sense of humor

You're right about that. I like tiny cars quite a bit (hence the Scion xD). The Insight-II looks to be in my size preference and price range. Even if it gets only 41 MPG on the EPA scale, I'm sure I can make it get 48 or so, since I can wring 36 MPG out of the Scion.

15. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi All:

___WRT the Prius-III PHEV demonstrator’s, this will be a not ready for prime time fleet release. Regardless of cost, this is not quite the Volt but when the real vehicles hit the street, both will be good. It’s the cost that we will all worry about.

___Good Luck

___Wayne

16. bnther

bnther Well-Known Member

Can anyone tell me how many KW hours are expected to charge one of these PHEV's on a daily/monthly basis?

17. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Hi Bnther:

___If you are driving conservatively, either the Volt or the Prius-III PHEV should offer you < 200 Wh/mile (.2 kWh/mile). If you drive 1,000 miles per month, probably 200 kWh for example.

___Good Luck

___Wayne

18. KrazyDawg

KrazyDawg Well-Known Member

You're right. When the car first came out I'm sure it wasn't cheap compared to the horse and carriage. The electric cars certainly aren't cheap either but there are other reasons for its demise.

19. Xringer

Xringer Older Member

I wonder if China is going to deliver a (Corolla lookalike) PHEV first??

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/01/13/detroit-2009-byd-f3dm-is-the-poor-mans-plug-in-toyota-corolla/

"Powered by a 1.0-liter gasoline engine and an electric motor, BYD says their Toyota Corolla lookalike boasts 168-horsepower and 295 pound-feet of torque. So equipped, the car can reach 60 miles-per-hour in 10.5 seconds, although it tops out at just 93 mph. More importantly, officials claim that the F3DM will run purely on battery power for 62 miles"