Hyundai Accent?

Discussion in 'Hyundai' started by visionseeming, Jan 9, 2009.

1. visionseeming

visionseeming Well-Known Member

Has anyone here had any experience with the Hyundai Accent? I think I've seen some good numbers here with an Elantra, so I would imagine the Accent could pull off even better number. I don't have the cash to get a new car or anything, but I was just wondering what the cheapest, 5 speed, compact or subcompact car I could find on the used car market, and it seems the Accent is the one.

For example: This 2002 Hyundai Accent, with 21,000 Miles

The Old EPA rating for the 2002 Hyundai Accent with a 5 speed transmission and a 1.6L Engine is 27 City and 37 Highway. This doesn't seem as good as cars made by Toyota or Honda of similar sized engines e.g. the Toyota Echo, but seems to much cheaper.

2. Tomjones76

Tomjones76 Well-Known Member

From buying my used '07 Elantra a few months back, and test-driving a new Accent, I'd imagine you'd get the same great gas mileage, plus maybe 5-10%.
    The Elantra probably has the absolute best mileage you'll get from a non-hybrid with that interior space, HOWEVER, the front seat room on the Accent seems JUST AS BIG as the front seat room the Elantra has.

3. Tomjones76

Tomjones76 Well-Known Member

Ooops. Didn't see you meant an '02.
    Yeah, that's odd, 'cuz my Elantra can beat that, under the NEW numbers.
    They're just cheaper due to quality reputation. The truth is Hyundai had near-Japanese quality in '02... that's a great deal on a car, but I'm not buying one.

4. visionseeming

visionseeming Well-Known Member

Wow! Interesting, the 2007 Hyundai Elantra is rated the same as the 2002 Accent. Do you have a Manual or Auto? What numbers do you usually pull off?

5. Ophbalance

Ophbalance Administrator Staff Member

I think it highly depends on how much you want to through at it. That, and what your routes look like. The honda's and the Toyota's will take less effort to achieve the same results, I would think. How much highway driving do you do?

6. JusBringIt

JusBringIt Be Inspired

it IS the cheapest car in NA

7. Right Lane Cruiser

Right Lane Cruiser Penguin of Notagascar

We had a member hypermiling one of those recently (an auto IIRC). I've always been disappointed by the rating of the Accent -- it has consistently been only 1mpg better than the Elantra in spite of the significantly smaller construction.

As for driver seating room, the '02 was too small for me. The newest model isn't as large as the Elantra is, but it is up to the size of my old '95 Elantra -- which is to say it is cramped but workable for my 6'5" frame. If you are 4-5" shorter than I you'll fit with plenty of room to spare.

8. JusBringIt

JusBringIt Be Inspired

Sean, I believe most people are ;)