Hyundai launches Blue Drive and other new fuel saving initiatives

Discussion in 'Hyundai' started by xcel, Dec 27, 2008.

1. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

Currently the third most fuel efficient US automaker vows to be number one in a few short years.

[xfloat=right]http://www.cleanmpg.com/photos/data/501/Hyundai_HED-5_i_Concept.jpg[/xfloat]Wayne Gerdes – CleanMPG – Dec. 27, 2008

Hyundai HED-5- i-Mode Crossover concept

Hyundai introduced a number of platforms and advanced technology vehicle hardware with one goal in mind. To raise their vehicle lineups fuel economy.

Hyundai announced an environmentally friendly and advanced technology Blue Drive solution which will bring to market a family of eco-friendly products. With Blue Drive, Hyundai believes it will be able to achieve a CAFÉ fleet fuel economy average of 35 mpg by 2015, five years ahead of the government requirement.

The company recently revealed plans for its first US marketed full hybrid slated for the next-generation Sonata, introduced a sleek looking crossover concept powered by a turbocharged gasoline direct injection (GDI) engine, announced future high-mileage editions of the Accent and Elantra, provided details on an all-new 6-Speed AT and showed off an all-new 2.2L diesel.

Hyundai’s upcoming Sonata HEV

Hyundai will begin building the next-generation hybrid Sonata for the North American market in 2010

Hyundai’s parallel hybrid drive system mates an already fuel efficient 2.4-liter Theta II engine to an all-new 6-speed AT (without torque converter) and a 30kW electric motor to maximize FE. Hybrid Blue Drive has an unique for a single large MGSet, all-electric mode. After an Autostop, a much smaller Integrated Starter Generator (ISG) restarts the engine.

The hybrid Sonata will use an LG Chem supplied lithium polymer (Li-PO) battery to power the parallel hybrid drive system. The Li-Po traction battery has been proven to provide greater thermal and mechanical stability than existing NiMH and Li-Ion systems according to Hyundai.

In addition to the hybrid systems capability, the top three ratios in the 6-speed AT have been raised to ensure the engine runs at lower RPMs, an electric power steering system reduces power drain, the A/C unit is now all-electrically driven and low resistance tires were added to further optimize fuel economy.

HED-5 i-Mode Crossover

For its North American debut, Hyundai included a turbocharged 2.0-liter, four-cylinder engine with state-of-the-art Gasoline Direct Injection (GDI) that improves efficiency and reduces emissions. The HED-5 i-Mode concept and the new power plant, called the Theta Turbo GDI, have been green lighted for the U.S. market.

“The HED-5 i-Mode concept provides a glimpse into the future of travel, incorporating innovative weight-saving technologies, a modern fuel-efficient four-cylinder direct injection turbo, and a flexible interior package,” said John Krafcik, vice president, Product Development and Strategic Planning, Hyundai Motor America.

Blue Editions of the Accent and Elantra

Next year, Hyundai will introduce high FE “Blue” editions of its Accent and Elantra that will deliver outstanding FEwithout adding thousands of dollars to their price. Unlike most manufacturers’ business model, the “Blue” editions will be priced lower assuring they will be both fuel efficient and economical.

Fuel-efficient modifications will include lower-rolling-resistance tires, enhanced aerodynamics, revised engine calibrations and reduced final drive ratios to deliver even higher mileage with lower emissions. These new high mileage editions will be identified with unique “Blue” badging.

All-new 6-Speed AT

To help meet its goals of improving fuel efficiency, Hyundai has completed the development of an all-new 6-speed automatic that will boost fuel economy by up to 12 percent. This new 6-speed automatic gearbox offers numerous technical merits including lack of a torque converter plus it is 26 pounds lighter than the 5-speed it replaces.

All-new Diesel engine

Hyundai detailed its all-new 2.2L diesel power plant called the R-Engine. With an output of 183 total HP. The R-Engine will enter production next year and will see its first application on the 2010 Tuscon and Sonata models which are due to be launched in the coming year.

[flash]http://www.youtube.com/v/PZztG_i-Wb4&hl=en&fs=1[/flash]
    Blue Drive introduction in LA​

2. Bojack

Bojack WithInsight

They are on the right track. The last few Hyundai's I've seen have looked good and have attractive specs. However, I'am still a Honda guy.

3. Right Lane Cruiser

Right Lane Cruiser Penguin of Notagascar

I still love my '02 Hyundai (though it doesn't get driven much now that I have the Insight ;)) and I'd be really interested in getting the high FE version of the Elantra... except I've really got my heart set on my next purchase having a substantial AER. Since I expect that to be quite expensive, I'm seriously considering converting my Elantra to a BEV with enough batteries to give me 150mi in warm temps at highway speeds. That would also be expensive, but not as expensive as a new vehicle with that kind of range.

4. basjoos

basjoos Well-Known Member

Its nice to see a car manufacturer planning to offer high FE versions of their cars without them also being higher priced as well. This runs counter to the trend we've seen over the past decade where high FE cars (mostly hybrids) are higher priced than their lower FE counterparts.

5. SentraSE-R

SentraSE-R Pishtaco

Hyundai has come a long way with its autos since the Excel earned it the reputation that Hyundai stands for "Hope You Understand Nothing's Drivable And Inexpensive." We've had three in the family. A 1994 Elantra that my son is still driving, a 2000 Elantra that my stepdaughter is still driving, and a 2006 Elantra that my wife drives. They've all been reliable vehicles. The main problem has been window regulators. My son and I have replaced regulators on all four windows of the 1994, and one window of the 2000.

6. manuelbejarano

manuelbejarano New Member

Re: TOYOTA INCREASES INVENTORY

I Am Sorry, But I Have Lived In The United States For The Past 9 Years And I Feel This Country As Mine, When I Was A Kid We Lived Across The Border From Arizona. And I Usually Saw In My Town American Cars Such As Fords, Chevys, Chryslers, Amc, Jeeps, . It Was Very Rare To See A Import.,

On Those Times I Saw Stronger American Companies, Why?, Because We Always Bought American Products.

Now These Days We See That Toyota Advertises That They Manufacture Their Cars In Usa, But What About The Profit ,(the Heart Of A Business), Goes To A Foreign Country, Leaving A Weaker Economy In Our Country Little By Little.

I Am 45 And To This Day I Support The Amercan Car Makers Proudly, It Is Ok If They Dont Have That Much Mpg, But I Am Helping My Country.

If We All Get Together Supporting Our American Car Makers Things Might Change.

Remember The Movie "finding Nemo" When The Tuna Pushed Down All Together And Won Against The Boat!!!

I Love American Cars And It Will Be Very Sad If We Have Companies In Bankrupty.

Thank You Very Much (sorry About My English)

Manuel D. Bejarano

Douglas,az 85607

7. SentraSE-R

SentraSE-R Pishtaco

Manuel,

I bought my first import car in 1970, a Datsun pickup truck. I was living in Tucson, Arizona at the time, and the reason I bought Datsun was because of its extensive dealerships in Sonora then.

American cars have not met my needs for most of the past 40 years. If and when they do, I will consider buying American again.

8. Kyo

Kyo Man in Black

I use my intelligence, not nationalism to make my decisions.

There is nothing wrong with loving your country, or the country you choose to live in. Nationalism is dangerous and not the same as patriotism. Patriots will not turn a blind eye or make decisions based solely on a national bias.

But, for me, there is a problem for me, if I take two products, compare its usefulness, cost, quality, reliability ... and don't choose the one that is the best decision. I don't even care how much money I make.

If it seems selfish for a consumer to make a decision on what is best for them ... think again. What consumers purchase decides the market. If people willingly throw their money away on sub-par products they don't necessarily like, but get it for ulterior motives ... then the companies that produce that product see that they can get away with it, and find they have no need to change status quo, and continue to give the product that sells instead of producing the quality product that the competition is producing.

What then happens is the competition then must make a choice. Either it sticks to its values and continues to produce the quality product the consumer deserves and risk going out of business to a brand that produces junk, or give up their morals for money, to try and undercut the product selling for the wrong reasons to try and pick up extra customers that need to save a buck over all else.

The free market works best when people buy what makes them happy and suits their needs, not any other way. That is the best way to support your country and its way of life. To buy strictly on nationalism is a psuedo-communism (though, pure Marxism, in theory isn't a bad thing, people cannot be so pure of heart on a daily basis and until an enlightening, a 'Star Trek' style Marxist society will never exist).

See, the thing is, when you make a product, you need to make the best you can, do it with pride, not just for the consumer, the company, but, also for yourself. If the company doesn't see that, then, it is destined to fail at some point. I work for a company that does have this idea, and, in these times is expanding, increasing market share, and hiring new empolyees ... is an American company, and I am quite sure every single person here has bought multiple products that we produce at the various lines at my plant. We have extensive training on teaching people to take pride in their work, quality, and even being happy and safe outside of work. Pay is quite well, and all of the training, is paid, usually in overtime ... hundreds of hours per worker.

You cannot tell me to buy a sub-par product simply to support a company that may be from my country (but buys and produces a lot of product outside of it, btw). If they want to sell, then produce what the people want, need, find appealing, and make it with quality and reliability.

It may be starting to change, but, since the 80s, and even 00s I have experienced, the build quality and endurance of the product are definitely not up to what I consider worth it when you consider it is 20-50,000 being spent ... this is not a purchasing decision to take lightly.

Would you buy a mobile home built out of cardboard over a properly designed house, just because the cardboard was made in u.s.a.?