Improve your mileage and save a cat’s life, add an underpanel to your car

Discussion in 'General' started by basjoos, Dec 15, 2008.

1. basjoos

basjoos Well-Known Member

This is the time of year when cats not infrequently get sliced and diced by the fanbelt when you start your still warm engine after parking it for a few hours. Many outdoor cats have discovered that the warm engine bay of a recently parked car is a nice place to escape from the winter’s cold for a few hours. Then when you start your car, catastrophe! But installing an underpanel keeps cats out of your engine bay, gives you faster warm up times, reduces your car’s aerodynamic drag, and keeps the mud and salt out so you can keep a cleaner engine.

2. JusBringIt

JusBringIt Be Inspired

all this without a link? :p

3. Neicy

Neicy Well-Known Member

4. JusBringIt

JusBringIt Be Inspired

ouch!...poor kitten...

5. Shiba3420

Shiba3420 Well-Known Member

Just make sure the cat isn't in the engine when the panel is installed. I have read more than one story of the homeowner who finished off a wall only to have to open it when the family pet started making noises from inside.

6. Chuck

Chuck just the messenger

Neicy,

Saw the story and I'd fainted too if I were responsible!

7. bomber991

bomber991 Well-Known Member

Yeah my dads been telling us to just tap our horns before we start our car when we're parked in a neighborhood area. I'm not sure if that works or not but it seems like it would, right?

8. Kacey Green

Kacey Green Well-Known Member

I leave so early or late depending on my schedule that tapping the horn won't work for my neighbors, and we have many cats just roaming the subdivision. What other methods are there to clear cats from the engine compartment without taking up too much of the morning?

The good thing is that my vehicle already has under-shields and has no fan belt. The real question would be what if it got stuck in those nooks and crannies?

9. Right Lane Cruiser

Right Lane Cruiser Penguin of Notagascar

You could always just pop the hood, then drop it shut.

10. Taliesin

Taliesin Well-Known Member

Another option for some of us is to "tap" the ignition key before really trying to start the car.

Won't work on my Ram, as it has the tap-start feature. You tap the ignition key and it automatically keeps the starter going until the engine catches.

11. Shiba3420

Shiba3420 Well-Known Member

I suspect just banging on your hood with your hand might work & wouldn't be as distubing to the neighborhood as honking the horn, but wouldn't it depend on the animal? Some seem to run at first chance, others do a crouch and hide, and still others get into an attack pose. There probably isn't a single technique that would work 100% other than manually opening the hood and poking around.

12. Damionk

Damionk DWL Lover

Call me cruel or whatever, but I don't like cats anyways. Not that I would wait for a cat to get in my engine compartment, I just probably wouldn't wait for it to get out.

13. Chuck

Chuck just the messenger

I don't let the cats in the garage.

Lots of toxic stuff besides the car engine sleeping hazard.

14. ATL

ATL Well-Known Member

can you imagine the mess that would leave on your engine though?:eyebrow:

15. Damionk

Damionk DWL Lover

That is why they make hoses.

16. Chuck

Chuck just the messenger

I want Scotty to do to you what he did at the end of The Trouble with Tribbles

17. fanamingo

fanamingo Well-Known Member

Keep a small bag of dirty kitty litter under the hood. Guaranteed to keep out most four legged critters (warning: may attract some dogs). It's also an effective theft deterrent! :D

They make hoses to wash cats off of car engines? :eek: I never knew! ;)

18. Kacey Green

Also wouldn't work on the HCHII, Avalon, '09 Pilot, Tundra, Sequoia, Land Cruiser, or Prius

19. Kacey Green

Or the HCH, or Insight or the original Prius

20. NiHaoMike

NiHaoMike Well-Known Member

What about kick the ground to get the car moving at a low speed (or use EV mode in a hybrid, or let gravity do the work if on a hill) and then slam on the brakes to dislodge the cat? (Yes, they'll cause a little energy loss and therefore a slight drop in MPG, but bits of pussy rubbing on moving parts isn't going to help MPG either.) However, I would think just the jolt from closing the door would be enough to scare the cat away.