Apparently we've all got jerk-itus

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Kacey Green, Dec 9, 2008.

1. Kacey Green

Kacey Green Well-Known Member

Study Finds Many US Drivers Don’t See Need to Heed Speed Limits

[xfloat=right]http://www.cleanmpg.com/photos/data/500/55mpg_sign.JPG[/xfloat]
    - Green Car Congress- Nov 10, 2008
    If the lady that hit Wayne wasn't being so selfish she might not have hit him, I can understand being in an unfamiliar area, that's different. -- Ed.

Research suggests US motorists are growing increasingly cynical about the relevance of speed limits, and a new study by Professor Fred Mannering at Purdue University indicates many motorists are more likely to think they can drive safely while speeding as long as they won’t get caught.

In recent decades, it has become more common for speed limits to be set for political reasons rather than for safety reasons. As a consequence, the motoring public seems to have increasingly begun questioning the rationality of speed limits. This is evident in observed speed data that show that the majority of drivers routinely exceed posted speed limits. A key motivating factor in drivers’ tendency to exceed the speed limit is that they believe that the excess speed does not threaten safety.
    ...Estimation findings show that drivers’ perception of the speed above the speed limit at which they will receive a speeding ticket is a critical determinant of what they believe is a safe speed—suggesting that enforcement plays an important role in safety perceptions.
    —Mannering 2008

Mannering used a series of mathematical equations in multinomial logit models to calculate probabilities based on data from a survey of 988 motorists in Tippecanoe County, Ind., where Purdue is located.
    Findings generally agree with other data taken in recent years.

For whatever reason, respect for speed limits seems to have deteriorated. A 2002 survey indicated two-thirds of all drivers reported they exceeded the posted speed limit, and roughly one-third reported driving 10 mph faster than most other vehicles. These figures are even more disturbing when you consider that they're self-reported and likely to be understating the degree of speeding problems.
    —Fred Mannering

[rm]http://www.greencarcongress.com/2008/11/study-finds-man.html[/rm]

2. Kacey Green

The article is comment able and has some good responses and some of the selfish folks speaking loudly.

3. voodoo22

voodoo22 Cheaper than the bus

Around here people have convinced themselves it's unsafe to go the speed limit and that also newer cars run more fuel efficient at higher speeds. Then they proceed to tell me I can't possibly be getting FE like I say and that I don't drive in the real world, but who's fooling who?

4. Damionk

Damionk DWL Lover

I have had people tell me it's dangerous to drive the speed limit. Yet in the time I have been here I haven't been rear-ended (knock on wood).

5. GreenVTEC

GreenVTEC Well-Known Member

Some of the speed limits are to low for most traffic. Some stretches of highway out here carry a 50 mph limit probably due to the number of onramps/offramps on either side or perhaps for truckers on the bigger twists and elevation changes.

Traffic would certainly become a bigger issue if everyone stayed under the limit - more cars on the road taking longer to travel.

6. Kacey Green

But they'd do it more smoothly and with less speed related incidents causing rubbernecking ultimately slowing traffic further.

7. PaleMelanesian

PaleMelanesian Beat the System Staff Member

slower moving traffic can allow
    - closer spacing between vehicles
    - smoother entrance and exit

8. lamebums

lamebums Member

In a perfect world cars would always do the speed that is safe for the conditions, thing is, people don't, they haul ass - that's why excessive speed is a factor in so many crashes. On the flip side, sometimes the speed limit is indeed set too low - usually if that happens, it just ends up being enforced.

There's one stretch of road in Philly that's a 25 MPH speed limit, but everyone does 45 or more - even the cops. I can't name the road offhand, though.

9. KrazyDawg

KrazyDawg Well-Known Member

For my environmental class, my class project was to write about an environmental issue to one of my representatives. I wrote about imposing the national speed limit of 55 MPH and in my research found an interesting read on variable speed limits.

"If traffic slows down as they approach a congested area and all the drivers stay at a constant speed, traffic will get through the congested area faster. Imagine the highway as a funnel. Now, imagine the traffic which has to travel along the highway during a certain time as a container of rice. If you pour all the rice into the funnel at the same time, it gets congested at the bottom of the funnel and takes some time to work through the funnel. Now, if you slowly pour the rice into the funnel – keeping it at a steady pace – the rice moves through the funnel evenly and doesn’t cause congestion. In fact, even though the rice is entering the funnel slower, all the rice gets through the funnel (to its destination) faster."

Note: this metaphor is based on an idea from Paul Haase of Sammamish, Washington, in response to a challenge by Washington State Department of Transportation Secretary Doug MacDonald

http://www.modot.org/stlouis/links/VariableSpeedLimits.htm

I notice in LA the speed limit is much higher. There's 40 MPH speed limits without a barrier. The same speed limit set in LA would be 30 MPH in the SF bay area with a barrier. On a 30 MPH 2-lane residential street with few traffic lights and not many stop signs, people frequently drive 40 MPH.

10. jhu

jhu Well-Known Member

Although it's funny in northern states where you see idiots speed past on icy roads, and then see them on the side of the road facing the wrong way a few miles down.

11. Chuck

Chuck just the messenger

Plenty of Texans that think they can do 70 on black ice then look at the world upside down. :rolleyes:

12. KrazyDawg

KrazyDawg Well-Known Member

In dense fog people still drive over the speed limit even when going around curves and in areas where there's construction, cones, and arrows telling you to move to the right. :(

13. 300kmileprius

300kmileprius Well-Known Member

I admit I enjoy driving fast but when I have time to kill I sometimes slowdown. I do not think I would have the patience to drive all across the country at 55-60mph. Sometimes out west it is hard to stay under 85 in my prius. However drafting a big rig at 85-90mph still gets me 45-50mpg. I think people can slow down on their own if they want to but I think we would save a lot more fuel simply by driving more fuel efficient vehicles. I do not want the government telling me how fast to drive. Plus the issue of speed limits it more about state revenue and greedy insurance companies than safety.

14. GreenVTEC

That depends. Are most accidents on the highway directly related to excess speeding?

I don't know myself but there are plenty of other distractions. I've nearly forced someone off the road once while fiddling with the radio and drifting.

15. GreenVTEC

When traffic going slowly (40-50 mph) it's harder to travel at least from my view:

- It's tougher to change lanes because everyone's so packed you really have to wait to see an opening and get a feel from the late coming driver that it's ok with them to merge. Many people have a mental condition that prevents them from letting people into the spot directly ahead of them.

- Having to pay more attention to lane changing means less attention on what's in front of you and what's in the distance ahead.

- With less space between cars holdups or snags rubber band back much faster and affect everyone. Add trucks to the mix and you've got trouble. Their long getting into motion times means further stop and go traffic behind them.

- What happens when emergency vehicles need to pass? Much tougher if everyone is closer together and all cars have to mass merge to one side.

16. JusBringIt

JusBringIt Be Inspired

The gov't needs to set boundaries when speeding has been shown to be a part of a lot of accidents. You travel a lot farther at 80mph than you do at 50mph over the same time interval. A car becomes more deadly that faster that car is going. Think of the kinetic energy of a car travelling at 50mph. (1/2mv^2 yadda yadda) The amount of kinetic energy doubles at 70mph. If an accident were to take place, all that energy has to be absorbed somehow. Put simply, you have a lot more control with full attention at 50mph vs 80mph.

17. Earthling

Earthling Trying to be kind to Mother Earth

And with their lights off, of course.

Harry

18. seftonm

seftonm Veteran Staff Member

Or, with their high-beams on so they can see all that fog really clearly.

19. voodoo22

voodoo22 Cheaper than the bus

It's not funny when that moron causes the highway to be closed for 7 hours and turns your 50 minute commute into 2 hours.:mad:

People who think it's more efficient to go fast seem to always equate going slower with having more congestion. If people went slower and kept the proper spacing between the cars around them, it would be a much safer way to travel.

Isn't going slower and keeping proper spacing one of the building blocks of hypermiling? I often never brake and enjoy a much smoother commute than I did when I drove faster and was constantly braking and creating congestion with stop and go, and go and stop, and go and go and stop....:p

20. basjoos

basjoos Well-Known Member

Another reason to drive at legal speeds these days (besides increased FE and moral values) is the current economic environment. In an era of steadily decreasing tax revenue streams and difficulty in meeting budgets, I'm sure more than one municipality has discovered the revenue growth protential in traffic law enforcement, especially in small towns that have a lot of out of stater's passing through.