How long will your car last, and how much will it cost you?

Discussion in 'My Ride' started by YarSwiss, Dec 5, 2008.

1. YarSwiss

YarSwiss C'est quoi 'hypermile' en Francais?

I thought I'd start an interesting game:

First, estimate how long you intend on keeping your car, in terms of years and miles, until you scrap/give it away/purchase a new one.

Second, estimate, at a future going rate of between $4-$5 per gallon, how much it will cost you to fuel said vehicle.

Third, just for the fun of it, also estimate how much you expect to pay in repairs, maintenance and insurance; basically, everything else excluding fuel.

Add it all up and post your approximate total cost of ownership, hypermiling style!
    We could even compare these figures to those released by JD Powers and other on their estimated cost of ownership.

As an example, I'll put down my figures:

1. I expect to keep mine for about 10 years, until a cost-effective electric or carbon-neutral-fueled vehicle is available at a reasonable price, less than $30,000. I drive about 13,000 miles a year, and I currently have about 35,000 on my Odo, so I expect to see around 170,000 miles.

2. At an estimated future cost of gas of $5/gal, and at an estimated 48mpg (rounded down), I expect to pay $13,500 in gas in those coming 10 years.
    (Thats $5 / 48mpg * 13,000 * 10)

3. I take my car to be serviced every 4.6 months, and that will cost me (inflation adjusted) $3760 over the next 10 years, at a current rate of $75/service. Insurance costs me $150/mo currently, so over the next 10 years that will add up to $18,000.

Total cost of ownership over 10 years: $35,260 :eek:

Now THAT's an eye-opener, but is sure is interesting to consider that with hypermiling, I'll be spending the same amount of money the average driver would use in only 5 years! (according to msn autos and their total cost of ownership data.) Of course, these numbers involve extremes in pessimism and optimism, but I think they are quite well within the ballpark.

Who's next? :D

2. gershon

gershon Well-Known Member

thought I'd start an interesting game:

First, estimate how long you intend on keeping your car, in terms of years and miles, until you scrap/give it away/purchase a new one.

Second, estimate, at a future going rate of between $4-$5 per gallon, how much it will cost you to fuel said vehicle.

Third, just for the fun of it, also estimate how much you expect to pay in repairs, maintenance and insurance; basically, everything else excluding fuel.

Add it all up and post your approximate total cost of ownership, Hypermiling style!
    We could even compare these figures to those released by JD Powers and other on their estimated cost of ownership.

As an example, I'll put down my figures:

1. I expect to keep mine for about 17 years, 10,000 miles a year, and I currently have about 50,000 on my Odo, so I expect to see around 170,000 miles.

2. At an estimated future cost of gas of $5/gal, and at an estimated 43mpg (rounded down), I expect to pay $13,953 in gas in those coming 12 years.
    (Thats $5 / 43mpg * 10,000 * 12)

3. I take my car to be serviced every 6 months, and that will cost me (inflation adjusted) $1020 over the next 17 years, at a current rate of $30/service. Insurance costs me $100/mo currently, so over the next 17 years that will add up to $18,000.

Total cost of ownership over 10 years: $32,974

Cost per mile for 150,000 miles: $.22

Now THAT's an eye-opener, but is sure is interesting to consider that with Hypermiling , I'll be spending the same amount of money the average driver would use in only 5 years! (according to msn autos and their total cost of ownership data.) Of course, these numbers involve extremes in pessimism and optimism, but I think they are quite well within the ballpark.

We could also add in registration cost. And also the cost of the car per mile of ownership.

And interest.

Who's next?

3. voodoo22

voodoo22 Cheaper than the bus

We intend to keep our car about 10 years for the same reasons you stated. We won't get rid of this one until it breaks down or we can save substantial funds by getting a new car which is more energy efficient. I drive about 30,000 km's a year. So if nothing changes I expect we'll get close to 300,000 kms.

I keep a spreadsheet which calculates our cost per km. Currently it's at .66, because I put everything in, including the cost of the car, winter tires, insurance, parking, toll highways... everything. So that goes down about .01 per gas fill up. I have estimated that our total cost per km not including the initial purchase price is around .22 a km. That means we're looking at the cost of ownership being around 60-70 grand if fuel prices do not go up too much and if our insurance rates don't get hiked or major repair work is needed.

Even though our insurance rates have gone done. they're still 227 a month.

Things are just way more expensive in Canada. This works out to about a cost of .32 a mile.

4. gershon

gershon Well-Known Member

Adding in the cost of my car, which was modest, realize the cost of my car over 30 years is very close to the cost of my house.

The difference is at the end, I have a house that has presumably increased in value and a car worth next to nothing.

5. WoodyWoodchuck

WoodyWoodchuck Sophomore Hypermiler

I’ll go next.

Bought the Yaris in August so starting from new vehicle purchase. Planning on 10 years with the petrol engine or less depending on what technology comes along to allow me to modify to electric or alternative.

So 10 years.
    With vehicle cost, gas, tires/oil/maintenance, insurance, taxes/registration/inspections…

Total cost = $47,380 US.

Using the below:
    18,000 miles/year, 180,000 10/years
    43 MPG average (hope to improve this one!)
    $5.00 per gallon of gas, 10 year cost = $20,930.23
    4,186 gallons of gas! (Only 4,000 gallons at 45 MPG)
    $0.263 per mile.

With $1.75 gas (current local price):
    Total cost = $33,775.58
    10 year gas cost = $7,325.58
    $0.188 per mile!

With $7.00 gas and all others the same:
    Total cost = $55,752.33
    10 year gas cost = $29,302.33
    $0.31 per mile!

6. Blaster94

Blaster94 Well-Known Member

I'll go with my 2000 tundra truck. I bought it new it currently has 165000 miles. For the first 165K I spent 26000 on the truck,3900 in maintenance(tires, oil, brakes, etc.) Based on an average 2.00 per gallon for gas(10000 gallons:eek:) The cost per mile has been 0.30. I plan on keeping the truck for at least another 10 years which should see me to the 275000 mile mark. I think I will spend 26645.00 over the next 110000 miles on costs and fuel. That would end up with a cost per mile over the life of the truck of 0.28. I did not factor in insurance in these calculations. I think there is too much variance between companies, driving records, etc for that to weigh into the operational costs of a vehicle. I'll get data on the civic later.

7. lamebums

lamebums Member

I've currently got just under 100,000 miles on my car.

I've met people with Echo's who have well over 300k on them without any serious mechanical issues. I intend on keeping my car until the wheels fall off, which could be a long time, even with me putting 20k/year on it.

I would estimate $1000 in gas per year (at $4/per), plus the regular maintenance: tires, brakes, oil, etc.

8. worthywads

worthywads Don't Feel Like Satan, I am to AAA

My last truck went 18 years, and it wasn't even a Toyota, I should get 25+ years from this one right.;)

9. AlphabetBackward

AlphabetBackward ZYXWVUTSRQPONMLKJIHGFEDCB and A

I'll drive mine until it breaks down.

I want it to last at least 10 years; and even then, that still might be under 100,000 miles...

10. JusBringIt

JusBringIt Be Inspired

My current car has been with me for 1 yr, 9 and 1/2 months. So far I've put on 24,000 miles on. The initial cost of the car (came with a warranty) was 6999 financed to about $8600. Maintenance has cost me about...$1000 so far. I also bought other stuff for the car that wasnt necessary, but I did it for my own enjoyment and hobby so I don't count that. I'm about to spend another $500 on maintenance + $600 for a timing belt and that should last me for a few more years before anything major. That so far adds up to $10,700 for the car before fueling. Lifetime average for my gas mileage is probably around 27. That comes to about $2500 in fueling costs at a rate of $2.80 for gas average. That comes to a grand total of $12,100 for total car cost up to this point.

This car should last a while and I wont put more than 5 more years as I will already have converted it to electric or I will have gotten myself something extremely fuel efficient by comparison.
    At the current rate of maintenance, it will have cost me roughly $20,000 dollars for 7 years.
    Then I convert it and it should be quite a bit cheaper!

11. MT bucket

MT bucket I want my MPG!

I am going to shoot for 500,000 in my van, getting close to 300,000.
    I got it for free, so I really am getting my moneys worth!;)
    I have to fill it twice a week and don't even want to find out what it would cost at 5 clams a gallon!:eek:
    It was totaled and I collected some $$ for that, and thanks to the miracle of ducttape I still am driving the thing !

12. fuzzy

fuzzy Mild hypermiler

My Suby is 11.9 years old, and I expect to keep it 20 years.
    DW's Acura is 19.8 years old, and I expect to keep it 20 years. (She expects longer.)
    My Honda is 22.1 years old, and I expect to keep it 20... darn, I'm late. When are Insight-II and Prius-III available?

More figures later. The older two should be replaced by just one new car.

13. Right Lane Cruiser

Right Lane Cruiser Penguin of Notagascar

IIRC, Insight-II in April and Prius-III in August.

14. Kacey Green

Kacey Green Well-Known Member

Mine is expected to last until just after the HCHIII comes out, then I'll decide between that and the Insight II and the Aptera if it is in SC at that point (assuming the first hand reports of the owners is stellar).

I can't attempt to assign an expense to it because it is my sole mechanized transportation on-call whether I decide to go across town or across country.

15. slichopshop

slichopshop SLiChopShop

Average about 30thousand miles a year
    I plan on keeping my 89 civic just long enough to find a 92-95 civic.
    In about the same price range i should be able to drive for 15-20 cents per mile with all factors figured in....

16. bomber991

bomber991 Well-Known Member

After the wheels fall off of my car, which I'm sure they will one day, I'm gonna put them back on and keep driving.

Really though, what seems to be the main cause for the death of a car? I'd say it seems to be wrecks. An accident happens and the insurance company comes to the conclusion that it cost more to fix the damage than the car is worth.

And then the number two killer, something on the car, such as the transmission, fails and it costs more to replace than the car is worth.

It seems to me though that besides an accident destroying the shape of the car, that any failed piece inside the car can be replaced and it can keep going. Though once your car is 10 or 20 years old there's so much new technology out there that you probably want to upgrade.

17. ILAveo

ILAveo Well-Known Member

They don't use much road salt in TX do they? The rust eventually eats pretty much any car driven in the winter around here. Bondo on body panels works for awhile, but eventually something rusts out that you can't patch up. Around here cosmetic rust shows on most cars by 10-12 years and serious structural problems start showing up around 20 years.

We purchased our four cars for just a little more than the price of a new Prius. Both the Saturn and Taurus have high miles, were bought cheap used and are more or less hoopties at this point. I expected my sons to wreck one or both of these cars while they learned to drive (the body on the Saturn is a little rough:)). I expect to give these two cars away to my sons when they need them/finish college in one to four years.

The Ranger (mine) cost about $10k and the Aveo (my wife's) $9k. We're putting about 10,000 mi/yr on the Ranger and 20,000 mi/yr on the Aveo. I anticipate rust issues on the Ranger in about 2020, so I'm figuring it's good for 170,000 miles. ~$.06/mi depreciation At $4 gas ~$.11/mi fuel cost.

We will want to keep at least one reliable passenger vehicle for highway driving. I maintain my vehicles reasonably well but my wife???? Eventually things like wheel bearings, pumps and alternators need rebuilds/replacement. Somewhere around 150,000 miles (~2014) I expect she will be frustrated by downtime and we'll get another car. --$.06/mi depreciation. At $4 gas ~$.10/mi fuel cost.

18. basjoos

basjoos Well-Known Member

Bought my Honda Civic CX new in 1992 and it currently has 485,000 miles on it. Plan to keep driving it until I can buy an inexpensive new car that can match its highway mileage. As I continue modifying it, I keep raising the mileage bar and there's nothing currently being sold that comes close to matching or exceeding its mileage on the highway.

19. Right Lane Cruiser

Right Lane Cruiser Penguin of Notagascar

That's part of the reason I like my Insight -- so much of it is aluminum and plastic that rust really isn't much of an issue. :)

20. ILAveo

ILAveo Well-Known Member

Good counterexample to "rust eats everything". I've never been under an Insight and I'm curious -- is the suspension (e.g control arms/ tie rods) aluminum too? At what point (if any) do they recommend inspecting the aluminum frame for fatigue cracks?