2009 Nissan Cube

Discussion in 'Nissan' started by PaulMedley, Nov 26, 2008.

1. PaulMedley

PaulMedley New Member

Hey what's up? I'm Paul and I work for MWKS - we're currently partnered with Nissan to spread the word about the North American debut of the Nissan Cube. We're providing people with the opportunity to see the car before it hits dealerships in 2009 through these first-look photos. I've included the brand new pics below, and feel free to use or share them however you'd like. I tried contacting some mods here to make sure it's alright to share this material with you guys, but never heard back, so hope it's cool with you guys.

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

We're excited about the arrival of this new fuel-efficient compact car. You can see more official pictures and a teaser vid at http://www.facebook.com/pages/Nissan-Cube/17987996866?ref=ts or visit NissanUSA.com/cube if you're into it.

So what are your first-impression thoughts of the car?

2. BlackUp

BlackUp Active Member

Nice touch with the 6-speed manual
    IMO, the styling is done very well.
    Too bad they are using a 1.8l as opposed to the the 1.3l that supposedly got 40 mpg on the 2008 edition.
    Price???

3. WriConsult

WriConsult Super Moderator

I'm excited to get more of the Japanese cube wagons over here. So far we've only gotten the 1st gen Scion xB, and the Nissan Cube should be a nice replacement now that the 2nd gen xB is so bloated. Any word on when EPA testing will occur? I think we're all dying to see the numbers once they're available. We're also collectively hoping the 6sp MT allows for a taller top gear -- any info on RPM at 60mph in 6th?

Rumors have been that the Nissan BEV to be made available here in Oregon in 2010 might be based on the Cube. Can you confirm or deny?

4. Kacey Green

Kacey Green Well-Known Member

I like this much better than the one we saw a few months ago

5. kngkeith

kngkeith Well-Known Member

I'd consider one. I second WriConsult. Sadly I'm guessing the final drive will be geared for "spunky" around town driving, killing mpg, but pleasing the age 20something? target.

Keith

6. warthog1984

warthog1984 Well-Known Member

Why the knee-knocker on the tailgate? It'd make more sense to have it flush with the floor and top hinged to load stuff.

7. PaulMedley

PaulMedley New Member

This is just a "first-look" at the car's design. There are a lot of exciting rumors going around, but I can't say any of them are set in stone just yet. I'm waiting anxiously to find out some of this news myself, so I'll let you guys know when I come across any detailed specs you might be interested in!

8. applemac*fit

applemac*fit Well-Known Member

:eek: That's ugly... honestly! I'm not on this bandwagon.... What's the coefficient of drag?

Sorry, but it is quite ugly. :eek: Just my opinion

9. MateriaPanama

MateriaPanama Well-Known Member

I bet this will make toyota wish they hadnt dropped the old xb, it will be the second time they underestimate how much americans want these cubes (the first was when they predicted he xa would outsell the xb and then the xb outsold the xa 2:1)
    i really like it but i agree with whomever made the comment about the tailgate, top hinge is better, the only reason i can think to make it this way is to make it a bit more like an suv but i dont think thats a good thing i also agree with whomever made the comment about the 1.8, i think a 1.5 would be best, although for the mpg crowd 1.3 is good too
    and the gearing comment is right too, thats one area where the japanese still dont get the americans, americans dont consider cubes by any means sporty, so they dont need short gearing, also for americans 75 mph on the highway is very common, cruising along for a long time with the engine at like 4000 rpm not my idea of fun especially with the reputation these things have for not having a lot of soundproofing
    aside from this however i think it is brilliant, sensible and cool looking

10. SentraSE-R

SentraSE-R Pishtaco

Has anyone actually seen a Cube at an auto show or elsewhere? I'm thinking of one as a large scope hauler. I need a space that's 28" W X 29" D X 32" H, with a flat floor to roll in a 65 lb. box. I'm concerned the Cube doesn't appear to have rear seats that fold flat, and in fact the space behind the rear seat may have a depression, like the Versa. The Cube rear seats only appear to slide forward. If the Cube isn't going to fit my needs, I'll get a used Scion xB instead.

11. drimportracing

drimportracing Pizza driver: 61,000+ deliveries

The back looks like an alarm clock, I think some flashing neon numbers would be great shining through the back glass. :D - Dale

12. Maxx

Maxx He who posts articles

Hey, Luke Skywalker just called. He wants his minivan back.

13. WriConsult

WriConsult Super Moderator

SE-R, I saw one at our local auto show a couple weeks ago, but IIRC it was up on a platform and you couldn't get inside.

14. SentraSE-R

SentraSE-R Pishtaco

Darn. If I wait for the Cube to show up in showrooms, it will probably not have a flat floor, and won't meet my needs. If I say the heck with it, and get a used Scion, the Cube probably will have a flat floor, and will meet my needs.

15. drimportracing

drimportracing Pizza driver: 61,000+ deliveries

Get them both!

16. Right Lane Cruiser

Right Lane Cruiser Penguin of Notagascar

How quickly do you need this new vehicle, SentraSE-R? If you wait, you can probably still find a used Scion. On the other hand, the used vehicle is a known quantity and has known maintenance characteristics.

Personally, I'd go for the used Scion now (if you can afford it) because you know it will work for you and also because the way things are right now you'll probably be able to get a deal. With gas prices on the rise, I could easily see efficient car prices shooting up again.

17. Kinder

Kinder Well-Known Member

Looks to me like the floor will not be flat on the cube. There's a part of the Nissan website called "The Inside Story" that shows the view into the hatch. Looks like Cube will have mpg ratings identical or nearly so to the old xB (looking at Versa w/1.8 & 6mt).
    http://www.nissanusa.com/cube/

You might be a Nissan guy, but take a look at the Kia Soul, coming out in roughly the same time frame as Cube. Based on the Rio I believe, it could have slightly better mpg potential and while the hatch is slightly narrower due to the placement and size of the tail lights, the height looks promising. Saw one at the Atlanta airport (or was it Denver?) and it was pretty sharp. And yes--flat load floor, looks to have near identical rear seat folding & cargo configuration to the old xB. http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/MediaNav/articleId=135626/firstNav=Gallery/photoId=67895

18. Kinder

Kinder Well-Known Member

Probably this could be a new thread, but I decided to see if more recent info was out there: Kiasoul.com is the official site and says March 2009 availability, and it has pricing. The Base version with the 1.6 instead of the 2.0 is $13995 and as an added bonus in my opinion, has all black cloth interior rather than the kind of odd 2-tone choices on the more expensive version. Still can't find any official mpg numbers, though the 2.0 Auto 4 speed is at 31mpg on the highway according to some test drive, and another suggested 31 combined for the base 1.6 5mt (my 06 xB is 30/33 on the old EPA, 26/30 on the new--so Sould may have 10% better ratings?).

19. Maxx

Maxx He who posts articles

I expect the Soul will be a little bit smaller than the Cube, think more Suzuki Swift.

20. Kinder

Kinder Well-Known Member

Actually, the three cars are very similar. xB is likely the lightest by approx 300 pounds, and has the smallest engine, but is held back from dominating the FE category because of poor gearing choices. Guess I'm obsessing here but after being frustrated by the 2nd gen xB and the lack of similar mini-MPVs on the US market since 2006, it's fun to see what is coming online soon.

1st gen xB
    Base drivetrain: 1.5l 5mt
    Wheelbase: 98.4"
    Length: 155.3
    Width: 66.5
    Height: 64.6

Kia Soul
    1.6l 5mt
    WB: 100.4"
    L: 161.6
    W: 70.3
    H: 63.4

Nissan Cube
    1.8l 6mt
    WB: 99.6
    L: 156.7
    W. 66.7
    H: 65.0

disclaimer: Numbers are not official but are accurate to the best of my limited knowledge/research.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2009