Solar panels on graves power Spanish town

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Chuck, Nov 26, 2008.

Is Solar Panels in a Cemetery Apporpiate?

1. Yes,

13 vote(s)
  2. Only if space or energy is at an absolute premium

2 vote(s)
  3. No

1 vote(s)
  1. Chuck

Chuck just the messenger

"The best tribute we can pay to our ancestors, whatever your religion may be, is to generate clean energy for new generations."

[xfloat=left][/xfloat]AP - Nov. 23, 2008

See poll -- Ed.

Madrid, Spain - A new kind of silent hero has joined the fight against climate change.

Santa Coloma de Gramenet, a gritty, working-class town outside Barcelona, has placed a sea of solar panels atop mausoleums at its cemetery, transforming a place of perpetual rest into one buzzing with renewable energy.

Flat, open and sun-drenched land is so scarce in Santa Coloma that the graveyard was just about the only viable spot to move ahead with its solar energy program.....[rm][/rm]
  2. rdprice64

rdprice64 Still Learning

What a great idea! I could be part of generating clean energy posthumously. :)
  3. Jough96Accord

Jough96Accord 1996 Honda Accord 2.2l 5spd

Just put it in my will..

"Must have combo setup of solar/wind above grave."
  4. Earthling

Earthling Trying to be kind to Mother Earth

My 2 cents: cemeteries in general are inappropriate. Why take up space forever, when we are only here for such a short time? Seems pretty arrogant and self-absorbed to me...

Stick me in a solar-powered oven and cremate me when I'm gone...

5. owlmaster08

owlmaster08 Well-Known Member

Well, historically, space wasn't really an issue back in the day, I mean, there was a whole Earth!! But yeah, nowadays with Billions of people running around...
  6. JusBringIt

JusBringIt Be Inspired

we're bound to run out of room soon, put windmills on each grave, along with the solar panels. That would be utilizing the space people complain about.