Cadillac testing new Obama limo

Discussion in 'In the News' started by xcel, Nov 8, 2008.

1. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

GM rumored to be finishing truck-based armored DTS

[xfloat=right]http://www.cleanmpg.com/photos/data/501/Presedential_Limo.jpg[/xfloat]Gregg D. Merksamer – NY Times – Nov. 6, 2008

Presidents rumored ride -- Cadillac DTS on a 3/4 Ton Truck Chassis

There are only two good reasons for personal FSP’s. The Military and the President. -- Ed.

After President Obama takes the oath of office in January, he may have a new black limousine to go along with his not-so-new White House. General Motors is believed to be putting the final touches on a new First Car.

An analysis of unauthorized photographs taken while the car was being tested last summer on public roads suggests that the presidential ride will be a truck-based Cadillac. It will presumably replace the Cadillac that President Bush has used since 2005.

This new car will be a Caddy like no other. Photos by a spy photographer who hunts future models that haven't been publicly revealed for magazines and websites, provide clues about how specialized presidential transportation has become since the first White House fleet was ordered for William Howard Taft in 1909. Taft rode in a stock White steam car or a conventional Pierce-Arrow, but the next president will travel in a fortress-like vehicle that was mostly built from scratch.

The photographer noted that the limousine was being tested with a pair of GMC Topkick medium-duty trucks. The limousine seemed to be riding on the same 19.5-inch Goodyear Regional RHS tires as the trucks, indicating that it is far heavier than a civilian Cadillac. Indeed, it is believed that the limo is based on GM's 2500 line of trucks, which includes an extra-heavy-duty version of the Suburban… [rm]http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/02/automobiles/02LIMO.html?_r=1&em&oref=slogin[/rm]

Thanks for the find Bruce!

2. brick

brick Answers to "that guy."

Has anybody seen the Discovery Channel (or maybe TLC) special about the secret service? I have a lot of respect for those drivers who can perform perfect J-turns in this long, heavy beast! That image always springs to mind whenever I see a picture of it.

3. Chuck

Chuck just the messenger

I would have an aluminum body and chassic for reasons in addition to fuel economy. :D

[​IMG]

4. jhu

jhu Well-Known Member

I could've sworn Magneto can influence all types of metal.

5. Chuck

Chuck just the messenger

If Wolverine needs to borrow my aluminum Insight, he's got it. :D

6. aca2983

aca2983 Well-Known Member

We'd probably never know about it, but it wouldn't surprise me if there were actually some sort of hybrid drivetrain under there.

I can't think of any security justification off the top of my head, but I'm sure it would help with accelerating such a beast, and the accessory power requirements alone are probably well beyond the scope of your average 12v battery. There are probably some other practical reasons, and in this example, cost isn't really an object, so what the heck...

I saw the slideshow earlier this week. The Kennedy/Johnson era Lincoln is my fave, and I got to see Clinton's early 90's Cadillac many times in person, and it was pretty. The bubbly early 93-96's Fleetwood Broughams took to stretching very well. It made the proportions nicer. However in unstreched sedan form, the 80-92 Fleetwood Broughams are my favorite old-school chromed-up floaty riding American sedans. I almost bought one of those once, and someday I still might. Its impractical and ridiculous, but riding in one of those just makes you want to cruise real slow and put Barry White on the tape deck.

7. Chuck

Chuck just the messenger

Come to think about it...remember the curse of Tescumseh? A President has died in office when elected in 1840, 1860, 1880, 1900, 1920, 1940, 1960, almost 1980, 2000 was not a leap year....OK - not serious we can't let our guard down until 2020.

8. greenrider

greenrider Well-Known Member

Two reasons, what about public safety? Cops do have a need for at least a few FSPs, especially in the northern regions. The typical fire apparatus is good for less than 5 mpg in normal driving depending on engine/ trans gearing?

9. Elixer

Elixer Well-Known Member

I think everyone is watchful of this president. A presidential vehicle is one case where I'll accept a ultra-heavy - prepared for anything kind of car.

10. JusBringIt

JusBringIt Be Inspired

very interesting, I think for the next presidency it may be a necessity just because of a few bad apples, I agree fully with the statement just above.