Prius Diary, Part VII: Fellowship of the Prius

Discussion in 'In the News' started by lamebums, Oct 30, 2008.

1. lamebums

lamebums Member

...she came up to me, saying “Do you have the red Prius?"

[xfloat=left][/xfloat]Micheline Maynard - NY Times - October 28, 2008

Prius-II's on display at a CincyMPG meet.

While I was on my way back from Mississippi earlier this month, I drove through Bowling Green, Ky., and glanced through my window at the General Motors plant that builds the Chevrolet Corvette. Out in front sat a row of Corvettes, each in a different color, making an impressive display. Down the road sits the National Corvette Museum, which draws visitors from all over the world. It made me wonder whether someday, the Toyota Prius will have its own museum, and whether its fans would travel in the same fashion.

There may not be a Prius museum just yet, but the Prius has been on display in several places, like the Tupelo Automobile Museum, The Henry Ford in Dearborn, Mich., and the Toyota Commemorative Museum of Industry and Technology in Nagoya, Japan.

And like the Corvette, whose owners have bubbled with enthusiasm for several generations now, the Prius generates excitement among its owners, too. I’ve found that out in just the two months since I traded in my S.U.V. and became part of the Fellowship of the Prius.

The latest example came last week, when I went to the offices of Michigan Radio in Ann Arbor to be interviewed by Lester Graham, a reporter for The Environmental Report, which runs on public radio stations nationwide.

Parking was tight at the radio station because of a pledge drive, and I had to circle the lot to find a spot. As I did so, I passed a gray Prius, whose owner smiled and nodded...[rm][/rm]