Why can't I get 39 MPG on my Xb?

Discussion in 'Start Your Journey Here' started by The Fridge, Oct 14, 2008.

1. The Fridge

The Fridge Well-Known Member

Greetings folks,
    I bought a used 05 Xb 2 tanks ago for my work vehicle/driver.
    I'm a handyman so I needed something with a chunk of space in it.

I have the seats folded down and built a shelf to extend the cargo area right up to the front seats.
    I bought a ProRac and mounted it on the roof. I'm pretty happy with it, it sits low and the crossbars are sort of aero. I had to use slightly different parts than stock to mount it because the stock ones sucked. Now I have to decide if its worth the headache to mount and demount the crossbars all the time...

The car had 71k on it and I paid $10k. I really didn't want the new ones (bigger, heavier, big engine.) The only problem with the car that I can tell is that it needs to crank just a bit longer than most cars I've driven with fuel injection. I'd love to hear from others with this engine how theirs starts.

First tank was 31.5. Seeing that I thought, ok time to drive _really_ conservative so I backed off a bunch on speed and acceleration from stops.
    Next tank was 31.2 wtf!?!?
    Well, I took my ladder off the top, checked the tires and started driving even gentler.
    I know there's many factors that could affect my mileage so I'm not despairing yet.

I see here that coaster toaster is up in the high 40's with his Xb, so I'll be moving in that direction. Likely the roof rack will keep me under his numbers, but I have a goal to aim towards.

I live in Fort Collins, CO so altitude is 5000. How far I go and time between trips is completely job-dependent.

After finding this site 2 days ago, I pumped up the tires to 44 and will order an SG2 for my early christmas present.

Questions:
    The starting thing (above)
    RPM's. At 35 to 40, I can be in either 3rd or 4th gear.
    On mostly level which is more economical?
    Gas Saving. It must be discussed somewhere on this site, but yesterday as I was driving slow on a 2 lane county road (limit 50) I had several cars pass me in a flurry of carbon fumes.
    I think that for the overall benefit of the planet, maybe I should cost myself a couple mpg's in order to prevent them from feeling the need for hugely wasteful acceleration to pass me.

Thats it for now, I'll head over to the group buy thread.

2. southerncannuck

southerncannuck Well-Known Member

Let me start by saying WELCOME. 31 mpg isn't bad for a work truck, and probably gives you the pricing advantage over most contractors. They get 14.

There is a wealth of info here. You can take it "a la carte" as meets your needs. For the easy stuff. 4th gear will always get better economy than 3rd. 4th reduces frictional and pumping losses. The XB is pretty boxy. Now, that's a good thing because it allows you to use it as a truck. But it isn't very aerodynamic. You don't have to go 50 mph, but try to avoid speeds above 60 mph. Keep your foot off the brake pedal. Try to time your driving to allow for red lights, other cars etc. Every application of the brakes lowers your mileage.

I have to run, but look around the web page and you will learn a lot. By the way, the scan gauge is the best thing to get to save gas.

3. Kinder

Kinder Well-Known Member

Welcome, Fridge!
    I have an 06 5speed xB so it sounds like we have the same car. I'm at 4500 feet so altitude should be pretty comparable. You do have the 5speed, right? Sounds like a reasonable price.

31mpg with a ladder & rack on sounds reasonable, and if the second tank was during cooler weather, that will impact your mileage. I've had mine for 3 years, the first year or so I must have averaged about 31-33 with a rack on. Took it off and then discovered this site about a year ago, and have been in the high 30s ever since, cracking 40 a couple of times. So the rack in my experience was worth about 3-4mpg (I have a Thule rack with bike & canoe attachments). My worst mileage came from a trip with 3 other guys and so we had a basket with duffle bags up on the roof, about 26mpg on the freeway going 70-75mph. Decide for yourself if the hassle of taking it on/off is worth it, or if that's a penalty you can afford.

Tires--44psi will help--will at least negate the roof rack penalty.
    Starting--mine seems to start as quickly/easily as any other car.
    RPMs--I will drive in 5th gear if I am driving gently at 35-40, it is geared so high you should be at 2000 rpms, which is fine for level-ground suburban cruising. The SG2 will help you dial in what helps the most, but generally, keep those RPMs around 2000 when possible.
    Gas Saving--I wouldn't speed, even with the assumption that it will keep others from massive acceleration. Chances are, they'll just pass at a faster rate, making things unsafe for all. And a smashed car needing replacement (or worse, a smashed you) is not good for the planet at all.

One more tip--your engine has DFCO, so try to let the engine slow you down as you manually downshift rather than excessive use of brakes. This makes a huge difference, as you use zero gas while coasting in gear. That's the secret to 40mpg tanks in the xB.

4. jdhog

jdhog Hyper Smiler

Hi!

Regarding the starting issue, maybe it's time for new plugs or get some injector cleaner in a tank of gas and see if that helps. Do you have the service history, at least you can check back and see what's been done....

I'm also waiting on a SG can't wait to see what mpg I can pull off!

I guess you could say the holy grail for hypermiling is this thread:
    http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1510

5. atlaw4u

atlaw4u Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome to the club.

You should start by reading the article “Beating the EPA”. Also, use 5th gear as much as possible instead of cruising in 4th.

Keep us posted on your progress.

6. The Fridge

I set up the signature thingy and went through the options in user cp....
    Can anybody see my sig cause I sure can't.
    ETA:
    OK, now I see it, I guess it just doesn't show on the posts I made before I set it up...

7. 98CRV

98CRV Well-Known Member

I've been at this for a year, and patience helps a lot. I am still learning/testing/experimenting with every tank and nearly every trip. Slowly but surely, your mpgs will go up. Also you'll learn the quirks of your car - my crv likes certain techniques that my del sol hates, my Caddy can't do, etc. Your sgii will be a great tutor if you use it well.

Hang in there and keep asking questions.

8. onebaddx

onebaddx Hunting for MPG's!!!

Good luck in your hunt for 39, unfortunately some vehicles are just too aerodynamically challenged or your terrain is just not F/E productive.

9. run500mph

run500mph Well-Known Member

Fridge, what's up? Welcome to the site! I think pumping up to 44psi is a great start. You may want to go significantly higher. Read the threads on tire pressure.

You can get at least 40mpg in that vehicle! I'm sure you can! Keep reading, keep learning, and keep asking. I started only 6 or 7 mos. ago and have gone from 18 mpg probably worse- in a little 4 cylinder car to over 60mpg by learning all the techniques taught here and really presented well by Wayne Gerdes and other pro Hypermilers.

Read "Beating the EPA - The How's and Why's to Hypermile" its on the Home page on the top right.

Welcome again to the family.

10. The Fridge

Wow!
    My third tank came out a lot better - 34.99 mpg.
    I only had the SG2 for the last half of the tank and the FI cut switch for the last fifth.
    So...a good portion of the improvement is from higher tire pressure and driving techniques.
    I put in Shell gas to see if a little extra detergent will help my injectors since the first thing I did to this car was air filter and plugs.

I'm almost ready to post the pictures of my FI cut project.
    -Joel

11. jdhog

jdhog Hyper Smiler

Does your xb have the 2zr-fe 1.8 engine? If so I'll be interested to see how you did your FAS switch and how well it works.

12. The Fridge

No, mine is an '05 with the 1NZ-FE engine.
    Just taking a wild guess, I would imagine the fuel injection system is similar enough that my FAS switch mod will carry over to a good number of small toyota engines.

13. ATaylorRacing

ATaylorRacing ATaylorRacing

We have a 05 Scion Xb and it was rated at 35 mpg and the best we got on longer trips was 36. Ours is an automatic and I found out during research that the 5 speeds were rated at 34! The only mod I have done is max aor pressure in the tires.

14. The Fridge

For the M5 the 'new' EPA ratings are 27 city, 31 highway, 28 combined.
    For the auto, 27, 32, 29.

15. SentraSE-R

SentraSE-R Pishtaco

Your current average mpg is 35.3, so you've brought your numbers up some since last Fall. Your current average is higher than your best tank last Fall. Pretty good for a work truck, i'd say.