which commute for me is best

Discussion in 'Start Your Journey Here' started by TomMig, Oct 10, 2008.

1. TomMig

TomMig Well-Known Member

Hello all,
    I like to get the opinion of you, the professional.

For my daily commute I have several options. My first question is which is best. All stated below is 1way. The return route is the same.
    For all the highway goes the following: 75mph speed limit, i can do 56mph without killing myself or bothering other people to much) no stop and go traffic/traffic jams normally except when there some accident (rarely)

OPTION 1: 35.6 miles
    6.5 miles rural (with 1 STOP sign, 43mph for most of the way, some 31mph pieces) +28.7 miles highway

OPTION 2: 32.7 miles
    8.7 miles rural (with 2 STOP sign, 43mph for most of the way, some 31mph pieces) +25 miles highway

OPTION 3: 33.7 miles
    15.5 miles rural (with 6 traffic lights half of which I can time (the others are nearly impossible since limited visibility or sensor in ground) 2 roudabouts, and 1 STOP sign) + 18 miles highway.

OPTION 4: 30.7 miles
    15.8 miles rural (with 9 traffic lights half of which I can time (the others are nearly impossible since limited visibility or sensor in ground) 4 + roudabouts) + 15 miles highway.

Now I do OPTION 4, with a 45MPG. I don't NICE-on, FAS or P&G, only in gear coasting and DWB, DWL. So If I want to use OPTION 1 I need to get up to 52MPG (if I'm correct) which seems impossible to me.
    I'm not going for the most MPG, I'm going for the least amount of fuel used to get to work and back.
    My car is a 1998 1.7L turbo-diesel. with a combined EPA MPG of 39MPG.
    So to summarize:

1. What do you recomment. (which route)
    2. What technique should I start using. (FAS is out of the question, and next tank I'm starting with P&G and NICE-on coasting)
    3. Is NICE-on not going to destroy my clutch (im driving a manual)
    4. Since I don't have a MPG display or a SG: What is a quicker way to see the results of a technique. Since you can only use one change at a time, it hard for me to wait untill the next fill-up (500 miles)...
    5. Is it better to coast longer (a lot longer) in NICE-on coasting than to coast in gear and slow down faster. It probably depends on the situation. NICE-on coasting on highways slight downhill. In gear coating to slow for a red traffic light.
    6. How to break the news to friends and family that you are an Hymi?

Tommi.

2. Daox

Daox Well-Known Member

Well... here is what you need to get MPG wise if you want to take the longer routes and still use the same amount of gas. This is based off your 45 MPG doing option 4:

30.7 miles / 45 mpg = .682 gallons of gas used while driving option 4.

So, if you look at your other options you need to get the following MINIMUM mileage.

Option 1 = 35.6 miles / .682 gallons = 52.2 mpg

Option 2 = 32.7 miles / .682 gallons = 47.9 mpg

Option 3 = 33.7 miles / .682 gallons = 49.4 mpg

3. TomMig

TomMig Well-Known Member

Yeah, i figured those numbers out already.
    The question is, Am I likely to hit 52.2 mpg on Option 1
    Personally I doubt it. and I think OPTION 2 is going to be the best. Less stops than 3 and 4, more highway where I can P&G and Nice-on coast.
    Also the 47.9mpg is more possible than 52.2 mpg (although I like to hit 50mpg...)

Last edited: Oct 10, 2008
  4. Daox

Daox Well-Known Member

There is no sure fire way to say this is the best route. It appears option 2 or 4 would be better than the rest. The best thing to do is try them all out, and have a scangauge to monitor how you do.

P&G will definitly help out. Nice on coasting is much better than in gear deceleration with fuel cutoff. Engine off is obviously better and honestly not as bad as you probably think. Neither technique will ruin your clutch, although they will wear it out marginally faster. If you rev match when going back into gear the wear is next to nothing.

I don't see any reason why you shouldn't be able to fairly easily hit 50+ mpg. It sounds like you have a great car, smaller engine, and its diesel.