Training your local car dealer salesman

Discussion in 'Start Your Journey Here' started by VekTor, Oct 9, 2008.

1. VekTor

VekTor Member

Hi all!

I just joined today, and also just took delivery today of a brand-spanking-new 2009 Honda Civic Hybrid. My timing was rather good, as I managed to get one from first inquiry to driving it away in about three weeks... much, much faster than I expected.

I test-drove this unit before I signed the papers and drove it away, and let me tell you... there are some salesmen out there who really need training on selling this thing!

When I got in for the test-drive, the left-hand upper display was showing coolant temperature. Having read several of the excellent how-to thread here, I was expecting to see the "game gauge" over there. I pointed that out to the salesman, and he told me that they had moved the MPG down to the center-panel display for the 2009 model year!

Needless to say, I was more than a little freaked-out by this news, as I wasn't seeing anything giving me close to an instantaneous MPG in all of the center-panel options. How in the world was I going to manage to DWL without any instant MPG figures to keep constant. I spent the first ten minutes or so of the test drive thoroughly bummed out over this development. Not that this was a deal-breaker, but it was certainly anxiety-producing. :(

I stumbled by accident onto the correct button to toggle the temp gauge over to the game gauge. The salesman had no idea.

I spent the rest of the test drive educating him on the existence of this forum, what could be achieved in the HCH-II as far as MPG, and demonstrated a few of the techniques to him.

Once everything was wrapped up, he drove my old car over to my house, and I drove him back to the dealership. I reset the Trip A counter, and showed him that I got 79.9 MPG on the 7.2 mile trip back to the dealership. Needless to say, he was impressed!

Clearly, there's room for some educational outreach to some of these folks trying to sell hybrids. Let's do what we can to make sure that the next buyer doesn't suffer the same sort of needless disappointment that I went through!:D

2. Right Lane Cruiser

Right Lane Cruiser Penguin of Notagascar

Welcome and nice job!!!

Personally, I've consistently found salesmen/women to be lacking in detailed knowledge of their vehicles. I just smile and nod, then mention what I read somewhere.

You've chosen a wonderful car to hypermile -- and you obviously have a good start if you are already seeing 80mpg segments! :thumbs_up:

3. Nyt_Muves

Nyt_Muves Member

When I got the call yesterday to see how satisfied I was with my purchase, the Dealership employee practically called me a liar when I told him that I had been getting 28-32 MPG in town with it.

They surely do need some education. Step one is not to argue with your customer.

4. vtec-e

vtec-e Celtic MPG Warrior

Welcome and kudos for educating the salesman. Lets hope he tells future customers what mpg can be had out of their cars.

ollie

5. jdhog

jdhog Hyper Smiler

congrats!

So, what is a 'game gauge' ?

6. Right Lane Cruiser

Right Lane Cruiser Penguin of Notagascar

JD, he's referring to the instantaneous mpg bar graph. :)

7. atlaw4u

atlaw4u Well-Known Member

Welcome to the club.

8. ChenZhen

ChenZhen Dreaded Car Salesman

Frickin' car salesmen...:rolleyes:

9. Kacey Green

Kacey Green Well-Known Member

I'd hope not to be generalized like this, though I've seen my coworkers trying to get the hybrids moved, so those aren't unwarranted statements.

10. Shiba3420

Shiba3420 Well-Known Member

When we bought the Hihy, the salesman wanted me to "punch it" to how much power it had....I was there for economy, not power; He didn't know much of anything about that.

11. Kacey Green

Kacey Green Well-Known Member

I get all my customers to floor the vehicle for a section of the test drive, usually prefaced with something like this for my economy customers "I know you will probably never open it up like this again, but go ahead and floor it so if you ever need to make an emergency manuver you'll know both how the car behaves and what it is capable of."

It's like that comedian said, if you know you have a negative stereotype don't play into it. His example was an Asian Female driving instuctor. After he'd been rear-ended by someone on a cell phone.