Newbie from minnesota

Discussion in 'Start Your Journey Here' started by niceguy, Sep 23, 2008.

1. niceguy

niceguy Member

Hello Hyper milers

I am new to the forms but I have been posting my mileage for the past 2 months or so. It seems that I am doing about 5-10 percent better then the EPA, but how can I do better? I see some people doing 20-40 percent above the EPA.

I have tried turning my car off at stop light but just had my Ignition switch replace so I don’t think I will be doing that to much any more.

I don’t have dead weight in the trunk.
    Tires are inflated to the tire max on the side walls.
    I have a scan guage and that seemed to help me get .5-.75 miles better to the gallon.
    I do routine maintenance and just replaced a dirty air filter.

If you have any links that I should read please let me know.

Thank you
    Mike From Saint Paul

[​IMG]

2. MT bucket

MT bucket I want my MPG!

Hi Mike from St paul! I am Mike from minneapolis :)

Looks like you have a good start there, have you read waynes post beating the epa yet?

http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1510

If you want to get together sometime you mabye can show me how you are driving, and mabye I can give you some tips to get you at least 30 over if your car is in good working order.

MT

3. laurieaw

laurieaw Sorceress of the North

hi mike (and mike). welcome to the forums. i am laurie from st. joe. you will find plenty of minnesota help on here :)

4. Right Lane Cruiser

Right Lane Cruiser Penguin of Notagascar

What they said -- Sean in Coon Rapids, checking in. ;)

5. Chuck

Chuck just the messenger

I'm not from Minnesota, but near I35E like you...just 1000 miles south. :D

6. m0zingo

m0zingo Member

josh from eagan . . . well i will be in a week because i'm moving back up north to my home town. it would be cool to have a get together some time.

7. MT bucket

MT bucket I want my MPG!

Hi Josh, I live just across the river from you :) we just had one last saturday, the next one will be sometime in november!

MT

8. laurieaw

laurieaw Sorceress of the North

chuck, you are an honorary minnesotan, after having driven 35W back to texas in the middle of a minnesota blizzard last december.

9. abcdpeterson

abcdpeterson Well-Known Member

Hi Mike (niceguy)

I told ya some one here could help you out. Looks like you received an offer of help even before I know you had posted.

Mike (niceguy)
    If (MT bucket) is offering help I recommend taking him up on it. I know you looking for help with your automatic, and MT bucket has an automatic getting 147.53% EPA.
    He is a great guy and eager to help, I had a chance to meet him.

Mike (MT Bucket)
    I also know Mike (niceguy), I bump into him regularly at work. He works 6 floors above me in the evening on a diferant team, I work days. Niceguy is definitely a nice-guy. Your would likely be better to give him a clinic then me. You have hypermiled an automatic and are doing GREAT in that car, actually your doing great in all your cars.

After you 2 do a clinic, I should see if I can do a clinic with niceguy and compare notes! :rolleyes:

Yikes…. Typing 1 message to 2 Mikes.
    That read as confusing as it felt to type?
    I got to go get me some Life cereal now.

10. MT bucket

MT bucket I want my MPG!

Nope, not confusing at all, I am use to it now, I was once in a fishing club where almost half the members were Mikes! :eek: good post Allen! :)

11. niceguy

niceguy Member

what EPA should I use for my car. the old numbers or the new 2008 numbers? IT seems like both are listed for my model of car.

12. MT bucket

MT bucket I want my MPG!

Go with the old numbers Mike

13. Pryme

Pryme Active Member

WOW there is a lot of Minnesotans on this site, eh?

I guess I will just make my first post here!

I am also from MN. so howdy all.

14. Right Lane Cruiser

Right Lane Cruiser Penguin of Notagascar

Welcome, Pryme! What locale do you hail from?

15. MT bucket

MT bucket I want my MPG!

Yah we all over the place!
    welcome to the site eh! :)

16. Psion

Psion Hyper-Beginner

Does an ex-Edina guy count...even though I'm in Charlotte now? :)
    I get up to Minneapolis area to visit some accounts from time to time. I might have to follow up with MTBucket to gain some more insight on HM-ing my Rolla AT further.

17. Pryme

Pryme Active Member

Hi all, I am in the Roseville area.

18. abcdpeterson

abcdpeterson Well-Known Member

Ex-Edin! Psion, cool we are Ex-neighbors. I grew up in Richfield.
    I remember lots of gravel pits around southdale and a drive-in on France ave. lots of fun had in that area in my teen years.
    Still in Minnesota, Eagan now.

Pryme, Roseville is a nice area. centrally located and close to one of my favorite places, the state fair grounds. Corn dogs and people watching.

19. Pryme

Pryme Active Member

I love the state fair, mostly for the food. I let loose one day at the fair and eat haha then work like heck to burn it back off!!!

everything on a stick! the porkchops on a stick are excellent! I do like corn dogs but the pronto pups are better imo.

20. Kacey Green

Kacey Green Well-Known Member

There's a high concentration in MN, Canada, The Carolinas, WI, That I can name off the top of my head, where else do we have a high concentration of members?