Hyundai Aims for Efficiency Lead

Discussion in 'Hyundai' started by atlaw4u, Sep 5, 2008.

1. atlaw4u

atlaw4u Well-Known Member

Car Maker May Meet U.S. Fuel Standard Five Years Early.

[xfloat=right]http://www.cleanmpg.com/photos/data/501/Hyundai_Getz.jpg[/xfloat]WSJ - Evan Ramstad - Sept. 3, 2008

NAMYANG, South Korea -- Hyundai Motor Co. can meet the proposed U.S. fuel efficiency standard of 35 miles per gallon in the fleets of its Hyundai and Kia brands by 2015, five years ahead of a U.S. deadline, without relying heavily on hybrid vehicles, the company's research chief said Tuesday.

The declaration is a bold statement of technical confidence by the South Korean manufacturer, which has trailed behind Japanese and U.S. manufacturers in the development of fuel-sipping hybrid vehicles. It also distinguishes the company from competitors that have argued to U.S. regulators in recent weeks that an interim step in boosting fuel standards -- to 31.6 mpg by 2015 -- is too aggressive.

Hyundai will focus on building smaller cars using lighter materials as well as new engine and powertrain technologies such as gasoline direct injection, dual continuously variable valve timing and eight-speed automatic transmissions to hit the new U.S. fuel-efficiency standards, said Lee Hyun-soon, president of Hyundai's research and development division. The company is also unlikely to enter the gas-guzzling U.S. pickup-truck market, he said.

"With just conventional gasoline engines, we think we can hit 35," Mr. Lee said in an interview at company's research and test center. "We have the technology to improve fuel economy. The problem was it increased the cost of the vehicle. Now, with higher oil prices, we can justify the technology."… [rm]http://online.wsj.com/article/SB122038021528291565.html?mod=googlenews_wsj[/rm]

2. Indigo

Indigo Witch with wry sense of humor

sure... 35 MPG is easy if you configure the vehicle with clean diesel technology. Also, a downsized turbo-gas engine with some sort of gearing that makes sense should also do the trick.

Also... what would be good would be implementing some el-cheapo start-stop hybrid technology, since it tends to boost city FE.

3. Shiba3420

Shiba3420 Well-Known Member

Its slightly off topic, but I need a reminder of how a manufacture's averages are being calculated....if its by vehicle sold, isn't the economy of the US-3 going up just from people not buying so many FSPs?

4. HyperMiler

HyperMiler Active Member

My Kia (a.k.a. Hyundai) already gets 35mpg highway according to EPA. After Hypermiling, my combined is well above it. :)

5. chilimac02

chilimac02 Bible Professor & Minister

I can just hear the Kia and Hyundai CEO... "How you like me now Detroit!!"

I'm excited that a company can say "no problem" to these same standards that many companies claim are impossible. Hopefully this will help persuade the gov't that Detroit shouldn't be given money.

6. Ophbalance

Ophbalance Administrator Staff Member

I'm pissed as heck, to be frank. They mention that Korea will be seeing a compact hybrid, whilst we'll be getting the mid sized hybrid. WTF, man, WTF. I'd gladly take a hybrid Elantra, especially if it's priced to compete with the offering from Honda.

7. F&T

F&T Well-Known Member

I'm convinced that the 35 number can be hit. Someone needs to cut the vehicle weight and start reducing the size of the engines. As evidence, answer this question, "Can you buy an underpowered car in America?" As far as I know, the answer is no.

In about 1970, I worked part time at a Tresler-Comet gas station in Cincinnati. There was a woman who came in for gas and occasional service in a red Renault R-8, maybe R-10. She claimed to get 40 mpg all day long, rain or shine. Yes, it was a four-wheeled box, but it was reliable. At about 25 cents per gallon and 200 miles per week, let's say, her commuting costs were about $1.25 per week. Sounds real good to me.

How come the foreign carmakers are saying 'Yes, si, and oui' while the Big 2.X are saying 'Wait, stop, no, and whoa'? What a bunch of cry babies in Detroit.

Faithful and True

8. Right Lane Cruiser

Right Lane Cruiser Penguin of Notagascar

Hm... my Elantra already thinks it is an Insight at times... ;)

9. kendan

kendan Mid TN Hypermiler!

35 mpg w/o hybrids is great! This means Hyundai can then take it's time taking it to the next level with start/stop tech, hybrid's, etc.

10. lamebums

lamebums Member

The Kia Borrego isn't a step in the right direction, that's for sure.

Why now of all times does an automaker try to enter the enormous SUV market with gas guzzling V8 engines?

11. moneysaver

moneysaver Well-Known Member

Auston, I figure that Hyundai wanted to cash in the SUV market but missed thier mark and now they are introducing a suv at the worst time possible. I am not sure why would anyone buy a new suv when a year older can be bought for thousands less.

On the topic, kudos to Hyundai for being able to meet the limit without having to resort to expensive hybrid technology. Just keep the weight of the vehicles lower so mileage would not be affected as much from the expectations.