Hero: Aug 28

Discussion in 'Hero and Jerk of the Day' started by anagama, Aug 29, 2008.

1. anagama

anagama Active Member

Yesterday I was driving home from work, coasting up to a stop on a street with two lanes in each direction. While not a perfect hypermiler, because he/she passed me on the way to stopping at a stoplight, taped to the inside of the back window of a red mini-van was a home printed banner which read "60 MPH Saves Gas".

A good sign!

2. beatr911

beatr911 Tightwad

Someone on another forum was promoting posting your mpg on the outside of the car with white shoe polish or whatever. Then handing out AndrewJ's brochure to those that asked about how the high figures were attained - a really good idea!

I was going to do this on my motorcycle. When I've talked with people about MPG on the bike they disclaim it as "Yeah, but it's a motorcycle." like all motorcycles get 55+mpg, not the case. Some don't even reach 40 mpg, but that's another rant for another thread.

3. Shiba3420

Shiba3420 Well-Known Member

Hero or Jerk? Are they suggesting 60mph instead of 65/70+, or are they suggesting it instead of 55 or lower? What the speed limit on highways around you?

4. anagama

anagama Active Member

The freeway speed limit around here is 70 mph, and most people do 75-80. Someone going 60 on the freeway gets passed a lot. I know this! :)

As for motorcycles with lousy mileage, my 78 BMW R80 gets about 33 combined. People are surprised when they hear that.