Tesla Roadster

Discussion in 'BEV or Battery Electric Vehicle' started by xcel, Aug 27, 2008.

1. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

A look under the hood of the electric sports car that is generating a buzz.

[xfloat=right]http://www.cleanmpg.com/photos/data/501/2008_Tesla.jpg[/xfloat]Kevin Bullis - Technology Review - Aug 27, 2008

2008 Tesla Roadster BEV – 0 to 60 in 3.9 seconds, 220 miles per charge and less than 2 cents per mile on domestically provided electricity!

It’s finally out and it's fantastic :) -- Ed.

With its first prototype, the Roadster, introduced in 2006, Tesla Motors ignited interest in electric cars not only as a way to save gas but as a high-performance alternative to some of the fastest sports cars. This year, Tesla started delivering production ¬vehicles, based on the test car shown here. The car sells for $109,000--but costs only a couple of cents per mile to power.

Electric Motor

Most electric cars have used direct-current electric motors that rely on permanent magnets. The motor in Tesla's Roadster doesn't have any magnets; instead, it uses stacks of patterned metal plates and wires that generate electromagnetic fields. Such motors, called alternating-current induction motors, were first advocated in the late 19th century by Nikola Tesla, for whom the company is named. The company picked AC induction motors because they're simple, reliable, and efficient at a wide range of speeds.

Transmission

The first version of the Roadster featured a two-speed transmission, the first gear for quick starts (0 to 60 miles per hour in under four seconds) and the second gear for top speeds (over 120 miles per hour). But problems with that transmission delayed production. Thanks to a redesigned motor and higher-performance transistors that deliver more power, it has been replaced by a single-speed transmission… [rm]http://www.technologyreview.com/Energy/21199/[/rm]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 27, 2008
  2. koreberg

koreberg Junior Member

If I ever win the lottery i'll be putting my name on the list for this car too.

3. Robert Lastick

Robert Lastick Well-Known Member

Wow! What a car! I want one and I needed it yesterday!

I hope they start making cars for us mere mortals soon. With technology like that under their belt it would seem to me that it is just a mater of time before we too could enjoy such a beauty!

4. hazeldazel

hazeldazel Well-Known Member

well with new technology you always pay more for the limited-production first gen version. Hopefully in a year or two they'll come out with the 2nd-gen that will include a $50k luxury sedan and then in a couple years a 3G $25k commuter.

5. shifty35

shifty35 Well-Known Member

Do want.

My original post was too short.

6. mulad

mulad Well-Known Member

This is going to be reviewed on the UK show "Fifth Gear" next week. should be interesting.

7. Radio_tec

Radio_tec Tell AAA, Saving gas saves America!

Patience number one, patience. EV 1.0 is out. EV 2.0 is next. It took 25 years for cell phones to become common appliances. Gas prices, global climate change and the threat of oil supply disruption will push this to the front in a much shorter time frame.