Jerk of the Day in a PRIUS!

Discussion in 'Hero and Jerk of the Day' started by fireflyfarm, Aug 14, 2008.

1. fireflyfarm

fireflyfarm Well-Known Member

I travel every day for work. I service fire equipment, so I have to go to fire stations all over Western Pennsylvania. Quite often, I go to stations where I have a key/door code, or they've left the door open for me, so no one has to be there for me to do my job. Sometimes, someone is there, and stays while I work. A lot of my customers will have someone meet me, open the door, make sure I have everything needed, then they go to their own jobs. I am very conscientous about making my appointments on time.
    Yesterday, I had to drive about 120 miles to the customer. They're up north a ways, and a lot of the trip is on a 2-lane, no passing zone road. I left with plenty of time, and was just taking it easy, until I got behind a beige Prius. The speed limit was 45, and he was doing a little over 30. I followed him at about 3 seconds for a few miles, and he was P&G ing, speeding up to about 40, then drifting down to 28.
    The clock was ticking.
    I did the Euro-standard "double headlight flash" as an indication that I would like to go around. He responded with a hand jesture. Ok, fine. I stayed at my 3-second distance, and kept creeping along. After nearly 20 MILES of below-40 travel through a twisty area, I finally got a passing zone (I absolutely WILL NOT pass in a double-yellow!). As I pulled along side, he yelled thru his window "Slow down, A-Hole!"
    I was nearly 1/2 hour late for the appointment. My contact was late for work.
    Thanks, Jerk.

2. bestmapman

bestmapman Fighting untruth and misinformation

Hi fireflyfarm,

I don't get the math with this. So by "just taking it easy" I take it to mean that you were doing or wanted to do the speed limit. That is as you stated 45 MPH. This "awful" Prius is P&Ging between 40 and 28, lets say an average speed of 33 MPH. If you were able to travel the 20 miles at 45 MPH it would take you 26 minutes. Traveling the 20 miles at 33 MPH it would take you 36 minutes. That would only make you 10 minutes late.

It sounds like you have other issues here.

3. nissynis

nissynis NC Attorney

Anyone else wondering if the Prius driver is a cleanmpg member? :)

4. bestmapman

If I was in that area it could have been me. It wasn't me because I havn't been in Penn. for months and I generally don't yell obsenities out the window. I always wonder why people will not pass. 20 miles is a long time to have someone following you. Generally after a few miles it the person refuses to pass, I will slow enough and pull over enough to induce a pass. Then if they don't pass it is their problem.

5. Bignorm

Bignorm New Member

If he was, you should be ashamed of him.

6. Shiba3420

Shiba3420 Well-Known Member

What do you mean by hand gesture? That could be a rude one or he could have been waving you around. What were you expecting him to do when you flashed...that is supposed to be used by someone in a left lane to indicate they wish to go past so the person in front should move right. I know of no usage where it means, "please pull completely off the road so I may pass".

As was pointed out, it doesn't seem he could have caused a half hour delay unless you were planning on going beyond the speed limit to make up for time lost earlier.
    However, if there was a long area of no passing either do to traffic or to road markings, I'd say the Prius should have speeded up and stayed between 40 & 45mph while there was traffic behind him. But that's a courtesy, not a requirement, and people shouldn't expect it, only hope for it. Flashing your lights may have made him less sympathetic.

7. nissynis

nissynis NC Attorney

I do understand that there can be long stretches without any room to pass or room to pull over, but I would think most roads have room for a HMer to do as you say, and RR a little extra to make room. And fff is justified to be upset by the driver's aggressive proselytizing, especially since it sounds like fff wasn't tailgating.

But I must agree that sometimes folks just won't pass, and for no apparent reason. I see this even on 4-lane roads. I've had SUVs tailgate me for miles, with the driver seemingly upset, when there is an open lane to the left. I can't understand that. Maybe they are hoping to draft my Eclipse, haha.

8. Right Lane Cruiser

Right Lane Cruiser Penguin of Notagascar

Jud, last time I checked your Prius is bright red, not beige. It wasn't you. ;)

9. fireflyfarm

Yes, I drive the speed limit. My truck gets 13MPG with regular driving, and 13.3 with HM, doing almost everything except FAS (I just won't do that, especially in a 3-ton truck). I estimated the distance and speeds, but the total drive was WAY over 20 miles- closer to 120. This incident was my major delay, and could have been avoided if the guy would have let me by, instead of giving me the finger. I never tailgated, even when we slowed to below 20 at one point.

10. brick

brick Answers to "that guy."

I have to agree that P&G between 40 and 28 in a 45 with traffic behind and no way around is a disrespectful, if not outright stupid thing to do. I would hope that nobody here would be self-centered enough to do that.

11. JusBringIt

JusBringIt Be Inspired

It definitely is not anyone on cleanmpg, I can tell you that much. FFF, I understand that you could be upset, however, sometimes the driver may just pull to the side and slow down to 20mph so you can pass him...i don't think any cleanmpg member would scream out the window to you tho. hopefully issues like this can be avoided with our members. From what we practice here, this shouldnt be hard.

12. bestmapman

Sometimes it gets pretty dirty.;)

I suggest that you reread this article. As a .3 MPG increase is not very much.

He also said that the Prius slowed to below 20 MPH. It seems that the Prius was trying to let FFF pass but he refused.

The bottom line is that FFF is complaining that he was late. This Prius only delayed him 10 out of his 30 minute problem. I again repeat there are other problems here.
    Almost every HMer I know would rather have the traffic pass then be behind them. Since FFF "had" to stay behind him for 20 miles is a bit odd.

I am not sure who the jerk is in this situation.

13. fuzzy

fuzzy Mild hypermiler

With any car I have, the glide profile between 28 and 40 would produce an average speed of significantly less than 33.

Also, in my state, a PSL of 45 means a legal minimum of 35. Below that, the slow car is required to pull over and let faster traffic around. Not that the minimum is ever enforced any better than the maximum.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2008
  14. bestmapman

The point of my responses here is to point out that the OP is using his lateness to bash Prius drivers or hypermilers in general. Here is why.

1) I used very simple math with simple assumpsions to show that the OP's lateness was not entirely caused by the Prius. He has a different agenda here.

2) 20 miles is a very long time to follow someone without passing. There are most likely plenty of opportunities to pass on this route.

3) The OP calling the Prius guy a jerk. I feel this is out of line because the whole situation is probably made up. If it is not, the real jerk is the guy who refused to pass when given the opportunity to do so.

15. fuzzy

fuzzy Mild hypermiler

I haven't driven in PA. But my own experience elsewhere supports the belief that there are twisty no-passing zones that long where passing the offending vehicle simply isn't safe, even when it gives an invitation by slowing down without pulling off.

On the other hand, one shouldn't assume that all North American drivers understand a "European standard double-flash" signal.

16. fireflyfarm

Like I said, I WILL NOT pass on a double yellow, especially on a bendy, hilly road. I just checked- my truck weighs nearly 5 tons, not 3. It doesn't accelerate quickly, and hitting the brakes hard means having to pick up parts and tools that have fallen all over the inside of the box body. All I needed was for him to pull over on a straightaway, even halfway off the lane. The one 20 mph spot was on an uphill curve. NO WAY to pass there. I also stated that I estimated the times. I was 23 minutes late. That's close enough to half an hour, and I wasn't expecting to have to keep track of exact times, distances, and speeds over distance. I generally arrive within a few minutes of when I need to be somewhere, because my customers feel bad if I've been waiting for a long time. If I say 9:00, I'm there between 8:45 and 9.

17. bestmapman

On almost every road that I have been on, there are opportunities to pass. 20 miles without a passing opportunity just is not believable.

18. fuzzy

fuzzy Mild hypermiler

You just haven't driven in enough different places.

19. JusBringIt

JusBringIt Be Inspired

I hate to butt in, but Jud is right, 20 miles w/ no opportunity to pass is just too much. I don't believe that is possible and trust me..I've driven in a LOT of different places including different countries.

20. Skwyre7

Skwyre7 Well-Known Member

There are plenty of back country roads that have a double yellow line for 20+ miles. I've been on some. (Keep in mind that there may have been passing zones, but they couldn't be used due to on-coming traffic - this has happened to me plenty of times.) There were probably places where the Prius could have pulled (even halfway) off the road and allowed FFF to pass (relatively) safely. That did not happen. FFF stated that he will not pass illegally on a double yellow line, for which I give a :thumbs_up:. The point FFF was trying to make, is that he was stuck behind a (likely) HM'er that was not considerate enough to let him pass safely. That makes him a jerk. FFF may not have been exact with his speed, distance, and time estimates, but that doesn't matter. What matters is that he was stuck behind a jerk which caused him (in part or in whole) to be late for an appointment.

Would you all have jumped down his throat if the jerk he described was a farm truck carrying a load of hay? FFF might not have been able to safely pass, and the truck wouldn't pull over to let him. That would certainly be labeled "JERK."

Just because FFF drives a large truck and the jerk was in P&G'ing in a Prius, does not eliminate the jerkiness of the Prius driver.