Mitsubishi to provide i MiEV BEV’s to both SCE and PG&E for testing and evaluation

Discussion in 'In the News' started by xcel, Aug 7, 2008.

1. xcel

xcel PZEV, there's nothing like it :) Staff Member

BEV_deliveries are scheduled for late fall of 2008.

[xfloat=right]http://www.cleanmpg.com/photos/data/501/2009_Mitsubishi_iMIEV_in_NY_City.jpg[/xfloat]Wayne Gerdes – CleanMPG – Aug. 7, 2008

2009 Mitsubishi’s iMiEV BEV in NY City earlier this year.

Tokyo -- Mitsubishi, Southern California Edison (SCE) and Pacific Gas and Electric (PG&E) have forged a unique collaboration for testing and evaluation of the new iMiEV battery electric vehicle (BEV).

Extensive iMiEV testing has been conducted over the past two years with seven major utility companies in Japan. The success of these programs quickened the pace and prompted Mitsubishi Motors to begin selling the BEV in the Japan market in summer of 2009.

Mitsubishi

"The small, four-passenger Mitsubishi iMiEV’s will enter into SCE's nationally-recognized prototype testing and evaluation program,” said Tohru Hashimoto, Corporate General Manager of the iMiEV Business Promotion Office of Mitsubishi Motors Corporation. “This collaboration with one of the nation's leading utility supporters of BEV’s will provide us technical feedback on iMiEV vehicle and battery performance, as well as vehicle connection and integration into the electrical system."

Southern California Edison

The rise in interest in BEV’s and other alternative-fuel propulsion systems is dramatically reshaping the way automakers and utility companies think about transportation. Through this program, SCE hopes to help Mitsubishi gauge how electric vehicles will most effectively connect to the smart grid of the future and the next generation Edison SmartConnect™ advanced meters. In addition, the collaboration may explore future requirements for vehicle communication and connection, helping enable new customer values associated with home energy management and control.

"Southern California Edison has more than 20 years and 16 million EV miles of experience operating the nation's largest private fleet of electric vehicles," said Edward Kjaer, SCE's director of electric transportation. "This new EV collaboration with Mitsubishi complements SCE's existing work on plug-in hybrids and next-generation advanced batteries and their effective connection and control by Edison's next-generation meters."

Pacific Gas and Electric

Through daily use, PG&E will gauge the viability of utilizing all-electric vehicles in its operations and further understand the impact of charging electric vehicles on the electric grid. The testing will provide PG&E and Mitsubishi Motors with vehicle usage data, which will be used to publicly demonstrate and validate the many benefits of dedicated electric vehicles within the California market.

"PG&E has been researching the benefits of electric vehicles since the nineties. Partnering with automakers like Mitsubishi is vital to developing compatible infrastructures to support electric vehicles in the marketplace and ensure responsible integration with the grid," said Andrew Tang, senior director of smart energy web for PG&E. "By working with Mitsubishi, we will both benefit from a free exchange of electric vehicle information that includes charging infrastructure availability, vehicle data, vehicle commercialization expectations and public feedback."

The iMiEV BEV, which is based on Mitsubishi's "i" gasoline-powered mini car on sale in Japan, adapts a zero-emissions state-of-the-art electric drivetrain. A durable 330-volt lithium-ion battery system is located under the floor deck and powers a permanent magnet electric motor. With this packaging, the iMiEV is able to offer the same level of interior utility and space as the gasoline version while lowering the center of gravity for more stable handling. The 47 kW electric motor offers improved performance and quicker acceleration than the 64-hp gasoline version.

The advanced lithium-ion battery is developed by the Mitsubishi Motors, Mitsubishi Corporation, GS Yuasa joint venture company and Lithium Energy Japan. LEJ represents the leading edge in battery technology and promises up to *100 miles of zero-emissions, economical driving on a single charge when packaged in the iMiEV.

* 100 miles on the Japan 10-15 Mode Cycle equates to possibly 60 miles on the 08 EPA test cycles.

2. DocOc

DocOc Well-Known Member

Re: Mitsubishi to provide i MiEV BEV’s to both SCE and PG&E for testing and evaluatio

these articles always make me kind of angry. why the heck can't <insert North American car company here> do something like this?

3. xcel

Re: Mitsubishi to provide i MiEV BEV’s to both SCE and PG&E for testing and evaluatio

Hi DocOc:

___Because the big 2.5 still believe the future of transportation involves a gasoline pump. Let me pull some quotes if I can find them…

___Good Luck

___Wayne

4. xcel

Hi DocOc:

___Here is the first one…

“We believe gasoline engines are, and will remain, an integral part of our future," said Nancy Gioia, Ford Motor Company director of Sustainable Mobility Technology Lab and Hybrid Vehicle Programs.

___GM sees the writing on the wall but I do not believe Ford or Chrysler’s vision can see through the Fog nearly as clearly? I have seen GM makes statements about the internal combustion engine being the engine of choice for the near future but the mindset is being turned on a dime as they continue to ready for total electrification. Just not to the same degree as the Japanese are readying is all :(

___Good Luck

___Wayne

5. WriConsult

WriConsult Super Moderator

Anyone know which Li chemistry they're using?

6. DocOc

DocOc Well-Known Member

Thanks for the reply Wayne.
    I'm just venting because the choices that we have in North America are very limited when it comes to cars. I can either buy an overpowered gasoline engine 'compact car' or an overpriced hybrid...neither of those choices is very appealing to me, but my next car will probably be a compact such as the kia rio. i would absolutely love to have the diesel civic hatchback they have in europe, or even another midsize european car like the renault megane.
    EV wise, there are some like Zenn (I live about an hour out of Toronto) but the Ontario government, along with other provinces, have not declared the Zenns street-legal as of yet. And I'm pretty sure that when they do there will be quite a stampede to get one, which will bring the prices way up.
    Anyways, you dont have to respond to my rant, but thanks for the article. I'm kind of hopeful now that we'll see some of this action in the next 5-10years.

7. xcel

Hi Dan:

___I can bet Andrew will add some detail later on this evening (our time) when he wakes up. I doubt they are A123Systems like LiFePO4 due to patent concerns and you can be sure they are not using straight LiCoO2 due to thermal runaway. Lots of work has been done on a number of chemistries but I have no idea?

___Good Luck

___Wayne

8. Dan

Dan KiloTanked in post 153451

I hope you put your name on the list to get one for review by CleanMPG ;).

Figured since PG&E had one, we should get one for P&GE (pulse and glide experimentation).

9. jsmithy

jsmithy Well-Known Member

10. Vooch

Vooch Well-Known Member

"Southern California Edison has more than 20 years and 16 million EV miles of experience operating the nation's largest private fleet of electric vehicles," said Edward Kjaer, SCE's director of electric transportation

Does anyone know which cars they use ? How many ?

11. donee

donee Well-Known Member

Hi Vooch,

They used the RAV4 EV's . Had/have a whole fleet of them.

Sure could have used 3 times the battery in my Prius tonight. Traffic was horrendous. Ran out of juice on a 20 minute/ 2 mile uphill jam and had to run the engine at low levels. Really bad for overall economy.

12. cuchulain

cuchulain He who posts articles

Hi Wayne

I have not seen it reported exactly but the chemistry is probably LiCo(x)Mn(y)Ni(z)O2 (x+y+z=1), it has the same 3.7V as EX25A, that they GS-Yuasa reported in 2004. Although I am sure it has been improved further.

If I can find the original link, I will post it later.

http://www.gs-yuasa.com/jp/technic/no1/pdf/001_1_025.pdf

Good Luck
    Andrew

Last edited: Aug 8, 2008
  13. cuchulain

Most of the details are on the Advanced Vehicle Testing Activity site in the full size electric section: It makes sad reading....

http://avt.inl.gov/fsev.shtml

Good Luck
    Andrew

14. antrey

antrey Well-Known Member

Wow, the 1998 RAV4 EV would more than fulfill my current commuting needs. Why the heck isn't it for sale!

15. xcel

Hi Antrey:

___One word. "Cobasys". Anything over 10Ah's are forbidden using a broad patent developed by Stan Ovshinsky whose company was purchased by GM and sold to Chevron who built a shell company called ... You got it, Cobasys.

___Andrew, LiCoMnNiO2 have unstable thermal characteristics IIRC? Something must have changed?

___Good Luck

___Wayne

16. cuchulain

Now thats tough one:
    Hmmm.
    Back to 1998? Realistically
    1. Cost: $1k per kWh maybe $20-30k for the battery only vs. $10-20 barrel oil
    Probably could produce the same NiMH batteries now for $200-300 per kWh vs. $120 barrel oil.

2. Low Power to Weight ratio, NiMH. In ten years as been improved considerably even for NiMH but a lot better for Li ion.

All the other reasons.....Patents, Very little service needed (oil change etc.)

Good Luck
    Andrew

17. cuchulain

Hi Wayne

-Now that is pinning me down. AFAIK Mn makes it more stable. GS-Yuasa also make a LIM series with a voltage of 4.1V which is more typical of LiMnO2.
    -Also I guess to improve stability the particle size, SEM shows a 20um particle but smaller will give better stabililty. Higher surface area to bulk ratio, less chance of Li surface layer forming. A123 basically operates in a Li depletion mode for stablity with small particles.

-Also mention of inflameable electrolyte in another paper..

http://www.gs-yuasa.com/jp/technic/vol3/pdf/003_1_026.pdf

-Fe (Iron) doping papers aswell but I expect the voltage would be lower.

Good Luck
    Andrew

Good Luck

18. MaxxMPG

MaxxMPG Hasta Lavista AAA-Vee Von't Be Bach

Renault does not have a dealer network in the US and I don't believe it has one in Canada, but the Megane is sold in North America as the Nissan Versa/Sentra. Nissan is majority-owned by Renault, and their passenger cars are mostly rebadged/reworked Renaults.

Regrettably, by the time they are "Americanized", with 500-600 pounds of luxury touches, infotainment, sound insulation, safety doo-dads, and double the horsepower (so the auto-press can proclaim the 0-60 time of a "respectable 8.0 seconds"), the result is less-than-stellar FE. The 2009 Versa CVT (better mpg than the manual) EPA's at 27/29/33. The 2009 Malibu Hybrid, itself a BAS boosted porker in need of a tummy tuck, EPA's at 26/29/34. Yes, it's an apples-to-oranges comparison, but it shows what happens when you let Washington run amok and legislate what we can and can't have in our cars.

The goofy laws written in DC also lead to Canadian drivers being saddled with most of the same poor choices because the US auto market is larger. So automakers build the cars to comply with the US regulations and then adapt the cars for sale in Canada, making the minor changes needed for any unique rules imposed by the Canadian government. So instead of a trim and economical Megane, we get the "fat step-sister" Versa that packs more weight, more horsepower, and therefore more thirst.

The stifling and ridiculous regulations are what have kept (and will continue to keep) these small cars out of North America. The little Mitsu Egg pictured will gain 50% in weight by the time they are finished with the mandated stability control, TPMS, more airbags than the Senate, etc etc etc. Then the driving range will be slashed down to local trips only due to the weight gain. More batteries and bigger motors mean more weight, and the vicious cycle continues...

19. voodoo22

voodoo22 Cheaper than the bus

I saw these cars in Japan earlier this year. They look more than big enough inside and are nicely designed and eye catching imo.

I would have considered one over the Yaris if they were available here.

20. DocOc

DocOc Well-Known Member

@ Maxx: yea, i know renault and nissan are in cahoots, and the versa is not that bad of a car...just doesnt look the same as the renault.
    and i remember a time, not so long ago, when you could purchase a car without airbags, without abs, without power steering, without auto tranny, without a passenger side mirror, without air conditioning and even without floormats. that car was a civic dx, and it sold like hot cakes. i had one and it was the best car i've ever driven in my life. now the civic is the same as any other north american car, and they dont even give you the option to completely strip it.